Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Want Opinions on E320 CDI, 350 BlueTEC?

7K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  toyman 
#1 ·
A deer took out my wife's Saab 9-5 Aero wagon and I am looking to replace it. I loved the Saab but thinking about an $18k and under MB diesel replacement. She drives 120 miles per day to and from work. Looking at 2005-6 E320 CDIs. Can anyone point to a thread where the pros and cons are discussed. Also, may be open to a BlueTEC. Pros and cons?

Thanks,

#2 ·
With 120 miles daily commute diesel is the only way IMHO.
I am buying diesels even with low mileage we put on them, just because I hate to fill up every 250-300 miles. ;)
Bad news E320cdi are hard to get as owners tend to keep them and Bluetec might be out of your price range.
I would not rule out 1998-199 E300TD.
Than my father still likes the 1987 300TD I sold him couple years ago.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My wife was getting 30-32 mpg at 70 mph with the Aero. Have had MBs for last 16 years. Only stranded 3 times. Had Saab for 56k miles and stranded twice. Both serpentine belt/pulley failures. First caused by oil leak and second by pulley itself which took out the belt.

#4 ·
At those speeds our 1998 E300TD makes solid 35-36 mpg.
320cdi was recording 40+, but who really want to drive that slow ;)
I never had MB towed, even when my wife in ML320 was the first rear-ended in 5-cars pile up.
But a bit earlier with the same ML320 we had to wait 2 days in Las Vegas for .... tire replacement.
Anyway, few years back I was selling W124 diesel with high 200k's or even 300k and the buyer was getting it for his 100+ miles commute.
I think he made great decision. The car was cheap at the time, still having at least 1/2 million miles left in it. W124 was making 32 mpg easy.

#5 ·
I have a good friend that had a 06 320 (648 engine). she got 42 mpg on trips to Texas and back. she said she set cruise at 78 mph.

I don't like the new V6 diesel (642 engine) eng due to all the issues. They run great, but oil leaks are very common with the worse being the oil cooler under the intake. it a 12 hour or so job. these fail anywhere from 45k miles to 140k.

If you can deal with the SBC brakes on the older E-classes that had the inline 6 diesel (648 engine) you can't beat them. 400 ft lbs of toraue, no adblue and pretty much bullet proof. that's the way to go.

#9 ·
I have a good friend that had a 06 320 (648 engine). she got 42 mpg on trips to Texas and back. she said she set cruise at 78 mph.

that had the inline 6 diesel (648 engine) you can't beat them. 400 ft lbs of toraue, no adblue and pretty much bullet proof. that's the way to go.

My 2006 runs fantastically.
Maintenance is straight forward and less expensive. The I6 OM648 is a beast and the last of the easy DIY engines.

The SBC situation is overblown to an extent in that, the repair part price is down now into the $650-750 range according to fellow forum members. Mine has yet to be replaced. If it goes in time, it's on the dealer. If not, it will be one of my few repairs!

#6 ·
I am only familiar with w126 and r129 models. SBC brakes are to be avoided? I just read a bit about them but really know nothing. Are they installed on 2005-6 E320 CDIs?

#7 ·
SBC are one of the concerns that almost any model have.
Good part they have 10 years warranty and if you buy 2006 or newer model, you have time to play with it on MB dollar.
Mine warranty just expired but I am not worry since my unit was already replaced.
Frankly would I have more money, the GLK with 2.5l or so diesel is having excellent reviews.
Women like SUV better than sedans. ;)

#8 ·
You could always do a search to see what potential issues have been discussed here. My 2006 e320 cdi performs like a dream. Trust me, you won't go wrong with the W211 model but the issue could be just finding one for sale.
If you find a 2006 with keyless go, and/or HID's BUY it..

#10 ·
Are there any differences between a 2005 and a 2006 E320 CDI?

#12 ·
I've read, but don't know if its true that 05's are easier to find with more options than 06 models, not that it would be that important. The 06 model is easier to find with a wood steering wheel and I think that's about it.
I love my 05. From time to time I think about the SBC, but I chose that, knowing it was a potential issue because I am a bigger fan of inline engines when it comes to diesels. Also, it made more sense to me to opt for the last models of a well proven engine, rather than the first two or three models of a completely new engine. As said above, very expensive oil leak repairs and such made me not even consider a BT.

Good luck with your search and have fun, whichever one you end up choosing!

#13 ·
I agree with both mtrevelino & 65aircooled. I started out looking for a 2005 and ended with the '06 because of proximity and options

Cheers

#15 ·
I too like inline 6 engines. The 1988 300SE that my daughter drives has 265k miles and so long as I keep oil, transmission fluid and coolant topped up it still gets up and goes.

What are these options you guys are talking about. I know very little about 211s.

Also, I appreciate all who have responded. This will be the 2nd diesel in the house. The other was a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado that had a semi-spectacular failure in the late 80's.

#19 ·
The other was a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado that had a semi-spectacular failure in the late 80's.
I also had a 1980 Coupe DeVille diesel. That car got great fuel mileage (right around 30 mpg from what I remember) even with a bad motor. It was smoking pretty good when I finally gave up on the motor. During 1987, I ended up installing an Oldsmobile 350 (or 400) cubic inch motor (I had the gas motor rebuilt) and transmission and ran the car for another eight years. The only issue with the car is that it ate the left rear axle bearing about every 60k. The diesel motor could not be rebuilt, too many cracks in the heads, injectors bad, piston rings seized, dual battery issues (it seemed like one was always going bad), and who knows what else was wrong with it.
Mike T.

#16 ·
I did quite a bit of research and my understanding was finding a 2006 at that time with low mileage and the CDI, not the Bluetec was almost impossible...so I chose the CDI. I have problems with the EGR...but a $50 EGR delete box or a tune to the ECU will eliminate that issue forever. If you are so inclined. It would also boost your power and MPG.

The wife drives about 150 a day and few things have caused issues. We have a few leaks of oil I fixed today with her help...took about 30 minutes. I think the high pressure pump on the front needs rebuilt...but I am unsure. I cleaned it and will see if more oil shows up. When I pulled the piping off...the turbo looked almost new. I am very pleased with the vehicle and performance. If I can get 300hp and 600tq with these modifications I am doing, I will skip the E55 and get another CDI. I've heard the Bluetecs can be pushed harder...but I am unsure.

She averages 33-35mpg depending on the day. 695 near baltimore is a parking lot most days. We got close to 50mpg cruising on the highway before...and I will be driving 800 miles on Friday to the midwest.

#18 ·
LOL
Now how do you really feel about Blutec's ?
You make a lot of good points.
Reputations are earned, I've seen CDI's in Stuttgart with mind numbing odometer readings, many started with a 5, a few with 6,7 or 8's, these are Kilometers of course.
In due time, the Bluetecs will earn their reputation, in the meantime, the debate will go on.
I do agree that forums at times seem to have become the bathroom walls of society, I'm starting to see it on this forum as well.

#20 ·
The GM 350 diesels were converted gasoline engines.
I loved my Oldsmobile wagon, that would swallow sofa with all door closed, but the engine was time bomb.
Coming to gaining reputation, back in 1997 I picked up one of the first digital cars what was ML320.
At the time the cars as well as sibling E class were bashed constantly for electronic glitches, that were over old-fashion mechanics heads.
Yet look at those cars 16-17 years later still on the roads and appreciated.

#29 ·
#21 · (Edited)
All I've read so far are valuable opinions. I still don't get why people get so upset about others opinions, specially when those opinions are not directed specifically at their personal car. I know the 648 has issues but I still would not change it for a 642, and yes, in my personal opinion, the CDI is a better engine, but I am not bashing or hating. No one is bashing anyone's personal car, but rather giving an opinion requested by the OP, who is obviously considering both.
Being over sensitive and starting battles over which engine or car is better ends up derailling threads (very much like this one) and helping no one, and that's what ruins good informative threads that in the end become archives for those seeking unformation... until a sensitive member turns it into a personal issue!
I too asked plenty about the differences between the two, and opinions from owners when shopping for my car, and between the Bluetec and the CDI, I chose the CDI based on the knowledge I gathered from owners of both and by weighing what issues I would rather deal with. Based on my general knowledge about mechanics and diesel engines, after owning the CDI, I feel that I made the right decition. If an owner of a Bluetec feels that his car is superior and better quality than the CDI (And vice versa) then he should say so and explain why, based on facts and personal experience. That's your opinion and that's what the OP is after, so that at the end he/she can draw his/her conclusions and choose the car that better fits their needs.
No one car or engine is perfect, that's the bottom line.

Reactions: kurtismayfield
#23 ·
If you want to find out what options the car has, run it through the VIN decoders that are still out there or sign up for EPC.

Here (hit map data after entering VIN):
Ìîäåëü

and Here:
VIN: MERCEDES-BENZ (???????? ??????????) | CARInfo

I think some codes change from year to year like navigation, but I think others might stay the same. I think folding rear seat is usually 287, 220 for parktronic, 289 for wood steering wheel, 600 headlamp cleaner, 615 for BiXenon, 889 Keyless-go etc.

#24 ·
Russian sites have database stolen from US, what is having occasional glitches in the first place.
I always get kicks seeing how final translation comes out.
You might want to subscribe to US EPC to lower the error margin.
Choice of engine is never easy.
When V engines deliver smooth power, the inline are way easier to repair.
That is beside the engine management.

#25 ·
Thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread. I really like xenon headlights. That would be a real plus.

What are "dynamic seats"?

The irony of all this discussion is that I will probably just take what options are on the best 2005–2006 CDI that I can find (and justify) but it is good to be informed. Dynamic seats????

#26 ·
Dynamic seats use gravity sensor to inflate side of the backrest to hold you against centrifugal force. They also come with back massage.
None of them is big deal and chiropractors are consider fake doctors, but it sure is nice gadget.
I bought the W211 80% for this option, as I did not need another car and was just fooling around following old links. It is wagon, so folding rear seats did not apply.
Mine also has 4 zone climatronic. Dogs do like it ;)

#27 ·
I have a 2009 e320 bluetech (no adblue), <35K miles.

I would love to see 32+ MPG, bit alas, my car typically averages 26 (up from the ~25 when acquired with ~24K miles. I have gotten over 32 MPG the day I purchased in DC area and brought home, but only by putting it in cruise, running at 70 for a good few minutes to reset any brain monitoring it.

Certainly, my relatively low mileage -- in large part -- is related to my driving style, yet I'm not complaining anyway, given the thrust these 642 engines have off-line.

There's lots of reports here about oil leaks; however, either they fixed that problem by the latter end of the 2009 model production when mine was produced, or I've gotten extremely lucky: in 13K miles, I have only had to crack one bottle of Mobil 1 ESP, and pour off maybe four or 5 oz.

The car is comfortable, has a nice sound system, a somewhat acceptable Nav, and a good quality 'telephony' system (both ends).

Really, even though it's an old man's car, I enjoy it, except for the suspension, which has a slight end-to-end bounding feel (what one might envision from a freaking GM product), which can be coupled with a side-to-side whipsawing feel at speed, in high-winds.

Worse than bounding/whipsawing though is the skittering over some (many) bumps. I've had it to the local dealer, and they say nothing found, but they drove it less than a mile (and in either direction there's a school zone with an overall 35 MPH limit), and probably didn't even pull the covers (it's going into a local shop for a pull-apart and documentation to make my case before going back to the dealer while my CPO warranty is valid).

cs

#28 ·
Bounding, whipsawing and skittering
Best of luck having the dealer address these issues
Unless shocks are leaking, springs are broken or ball joints are loose; don't hold your breath.
You may want to try adjustable shocks and fine tune to your liking. Some members are also fond of Eibach's, you can lower the ride but they can be stiff, H&R's are also well regarded and may be more tolerable on the street, do a search for more info

#30 ·
The picture looks familiar. ;) I had one station wagon and 2 of those :D
You can read it differently.
The head bolts on those engines failed in alarming rate because they "shared some things like head-bolt locations and other machining points with gas engines" but it is not converted gasoline engine.
The bluetec rapport cbs1 gave above is disappointing. I am getting basically the same mpg on our 1998 E300DT although with more than 250k on each one we have it takes a bit more of oil addition.
I send samples to Blackstone and Rotella T6 come as the best diesel oil.
I think Bluetec has particulate filter and require ESP formula?

#33 · (Edited)
Bought It.

My first post to this forum was on 5/22 inquiring about a CDI v. Blue Tec. I am happy to say that with help from list mates in this forum and after a diligent search my wife has added a 2005 E320 CDI to her collection. 69k miles, Navy blue/beige; bi-xenons, drive dynamic seats, wooden steering wheel, auxiliary input, rear and side sun shades, Harmon Kardon, 6 cd changer and navigation. Only option she wanted that this car doesn't have is heated seats.

Lengthy search. Learned how many times I could use the Russian site to track down options. Aren't too many CDIs out there with bi-xenons. This one was the only one we found with bi-xenons and drive dynamic seats. Many hours spent. Ultimately had to drive from southern Indiana to Baltimore to pick it up. Had it vetted by MB dealer in Owings Mills, MD prior to purchase thanks to advice received here.

#37 ·
I am happy to say that with help from list mates in this forum and after a diligent search my wife has added a 2005 E320 CDI to her collection..

Ultimately had to drive from southern Indiana to Baltimore to pick it up. Had it vetted by MB dealer in Owings Mills, MD prior to purchase thanks to advice received here.
Congrats on the new stable mate...Seems driving long distances to stake your claim is a right of passage for compression ignition junkies. :D

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.