Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2008 e350 4matic rear differential

15K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  E1429 
#1 ·
Where can I get a rear differential for my 2008 e350 4matic?
The dealers want 2000.00 minimum for one!! Are there any companies that have rebuilt ones out there??

#22 ·
REAR LEAKY DIFFERENTIAL 2009 E550

10/31/13
I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor under the rear differential about a week ago. I cleaned the floor with water and oil removal gravel. I purchased a three pound bag from Home Depot a few years ago.

A week later the oil spot appeared on the floor.

I had 61,000 miles on my E550. I purchased an extended warranty from MB 7 years and 100,000 miles at the time of the vehicle purchased.

The Dealer Left Side Differential Seal Rear Differential was leaking.

Oil Seal replaced
Seal ring replaced
Sealant MB
Transmission Oil

Covered under extended warranty.

11/27/13
I saw another oil spot on the ground last week. Return to dealer replaced left side seal on rear differential again. Picked up vehicle today mileage 62,460.

1/24/17
Miles 94,160 Replaced both side rear differential side axle seals. I also had the transmission service at independent shop. The seals had some evidence of some type of adhesive or cyclone on the outer edges.

I have attached photos of both sides of each seal.

Attachments

#7 ·
Differentials on MB don't break. :)
Unfortunately, they do. The one in my 04 E500 4Matic threw in the towel around the same mileage in late 2011. The clutches were completely burned. In addition, the transfer case acted up. Fortunately, the latter could be fixed long-term with multiple changes of the fluid. Were the two issues related? I have not the slightest clue.

I tried getting a trustworthy used or a rebuilt rear diff back then, but no success. Ended up calling a few dealerships in the SF Bay Area and negotiated $2,060 for a rebuilt one (incl. tax). I seem to recall they originally asked closer to $3k. The part number was 211-350-23-62-88. Confirm the number for your car, though.

Good luck!

#8 ·
List price for 211-350-23-62-88 is $2155. Parts.com has it for $1720.
Part # 211-350-23-62 the new one not rebuilt is $3060. Parts.com has it for $2470.
However these are only showing for the 2006-2009 V8 4matics not the V6 model.

Shark, PM please me your VIN and I will see if MB sells a rebuilt unit for your E350 4m.

#10 ·
Check out this thread from the W164 forum about rebuilding your diff. Hopefully this helps.

#12 ·
Yeah, I wish MB had handled my case in a similar fashion. But that is customer support from olden times...

I seem to recall my indie told me that they found residuals of what appeared to be burned-off clutches of a locking diff. Based on that, I silently assumed that it is a locking or partially locking differential. Never verified it, though, and would not bet a lot of money on it. Does anyone know for sure whether it is a locking diff, or the car emulates one by selective brake application?

As for the 2006 - 2009 compatibility per Noodles' post: I had the parts guy triple-check that the diff fits for my 04 model. He did, and I have put >25k miles on it without the slightest issue. So it would seem that the post-facelift rear diff also works for the pre-facelift V8s.

#15 ·
Question out of interest: Is there any advantage of a new diff over a factory-rebuilt one? My rebuilt was even freshly painted, and I would not have been able to distinguish it from a new one. And the innards should be assembled to the same standards as new, too, right?

Not like it would have made a difference to me whether or not the housing had fresh paint. :cool:

#18 ·
I find it disturbing that a $64,000 car brand new would have a differential go at 90,000 miles. It was serviced religiously when prompted at the dealer!
In addition, I just replaced upper ball joints, the voice activation will not work and the keyless entry will not work on the driver front door!!
I think I'm going back to Acura. I still have my RL with 320,000 miles on it. Runs like a top.

#19 ·
211's were perfected by 2009, your issue with the differential is somewhat unique.
We tend to put up with this platform's idiosyncrasies because of the beautiful styling.
Its no different than having a beautiful wife with some bad habits and a foul mouth, if you can keep'em quiet you can enjoy the ride.'

#21 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
So a lot of people are having problems with the rear differentials on their 4 matic Mercedes E350's, E500's and GLK350's. If you are having noise coming from the rear differential, either a rubbing noise sounding like a bad wheel bearing or whining noise, it is most likely the rear differential bearings.

Mercedes only sells the whole differential for roughly $3000 and if they install it, it usually is another $3000 for installation. The reason I know all of this is because I had this problem with my 07 E350 4matic.

If anyone has this problem and is in the New York area, I am in Westchester County NY, contact me. I can have the rear differential rebuild done very reasonably.

I am updated this because now, more than a year and a half later from my original post, I have a lot more experience with the rear differential rebuild of this model car and a bunch of other models that use the same bearings. The problem with these rear differentials is the bearings. Especially the outer pinion bearing. And this is true on 2007-2009 Mercedes Benz E350 and E550 4matics, 2003-2006 E500 4matic, 2010 GLK350 4matic and probably other models also. I can guarantee at least those models from first hand experience. When Mercedes spec'd the outer pinion bearing from NTN, they did not make it heavy duty enough and most all of these models rear diffs will fail at some point. -So it is not recommended to buy a used one and put it in because its just a matter of time before that one will also fail. Now available is a new and improved outer pinion bearing that was designed and made more heavy duty and robust, with more rollers. Below is a link to buy them on ebay. Any capable shop that does rear diff. rebuilds can do it. It is pretty straight forward.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-Me...er-/331963460253?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

my email is inertiapro@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.