Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2008 E320 Bluetec engine mount image analysis

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  denial512 
#1 · (Edited)
Jacked the car up today to look at the motor mounts (or try to), and the below is what I saw. The beige thing looks to be a rubber cover on top of the mount. The picture is from the drivers side. The passenger's side looks totally clean.

1) Is this the engine mount? I felt it and there was definitely 1 bolt on top. One on the bottom

2) It does look from the picture that there is oil/grease leakage. I don't see any oil on the plastic underbody shield, so I'm curious where the fluid went.

3) Are the left and right engine mounts the same part number? I believe from the dealership, they quote ~$100 per side for the parts. On Amazon, I found:
This $47 piece from Bilstein

Any opinions appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes it is a motor mount.The used to be white rubber on top I think is heat protection cover.My leak was sort of rusty color and it was not much either, and only one side.How many miles is on the vehicle?My mechanic said around 100000 + and you be looking to replace them.As motor is heavy, they are oil filled and constantly exercising there is really no surprise.

#4 ·
Well I dont know , idid not drop anything on my cdi, I guess that is different motor.I figure if the motor was previously on new mounts and then went alittle bit down due to usage it must go back up the same way no? Unfortunately iam no expert to give advice about bluetec

#5 ·
So I did the driver's side change today, as it was the mount that I saw that was leaking fluid. When I took out the old one, it leaked fluid all over, so that one was definitely busted.

The whole process was actually really simple. Only reason it took me longer was because I had to scrounge up enough cahounas to jack up the engine at the oil pan. If I had to do it again now, I probably could change it in under an hour (drivers side).

Once the engine was up, it was real easy. 16mm socket on top, 13mm on bottom.

I chose to remove the drivers side filter box to get at that bolt, but I think I could have easily just have did it from beneath.

Now, sad part to this whole story was that after changing the drivers side out, the noise is now 5x worse.

I'm thinking 3 things:
1) The mount I installed was defective
2) The new mount looks to have the engine sit higher, and perhaps this is putting more strain on the left side? Looking at the engine from the front, the drivers side does look a bit higher.
3) The transmission mount might be broken as well.

#6 ·
Now, sad part to this whole story was that after changing the drivers side out, the noise is now 5x worse.I'm thinking 3 things:
1) The mount I installed was defective
2) The new mount looks to have the engine sit higher, and perhaps this is putting more strain on the left side? Looking at the engine from the front, the drivers side does look a bit higher.
3) The transmission mount might be broken as well.
Generally when changing motor mounts one changes all of them as if one is gone the others aren't far away. Depending on the mileage it's also a good idea to change the tranny mount as well.

#7 ·
I'm looking for tranny part prices.

MB dealership quoted $240 for each engine mount (I got my FEBI-BILSTEIN for $42), and tranny mount at $80 (I see these for $40-50 online for MB originals).

I see a tranny mount for $20 bucks on amazon, but it has a really bad review.

It's by DEA:

Anyone think this is worth a shot? Also, anyone with instructions for the tranny mount?

#11 ·
Got pinged on this thread, and thought I'd update it.

After replacing the passengerside as well as the transmission mount, the low frequency vibration at idle has stopped, for the most part.

It still feels a little less refined than I feel it used to be with original/new parts, but it's DEFINITELY better.

I used to get vibration in the steering wheel and shifter (lot really bad, but I'm picky). I also had random vibration noise inside the car (like trim vibrations, etc).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.