Harsh engine vibration, E320 V6 '2004 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
realeric's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: E320
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 131
Harsh engine vibration, E320 V6 '2004

'2004, E320 V6 gasoline, 70k miles, airmatic, RWD, W211 065 model.

My car has had harsh engine vibration since 65k miles. I replaced engine mounts and the car idles and runs much smoother. But I still get rough vibration from 1200rpm~5000rpm, especially more at +-1200rpm, +-2100rpm, +-4000rpm. It vibrates in drive, neutral, even in park, cold, and hot(a little less). It's not a resonance but a whole engine body vibration.

It feels like V5 engine but no error codes found.

I also replaced the idler pulley, water pump. Tensioner, power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor seems ok. I cleaned the MAF sensor. I'm going to change spark plug & valve cover gasket next week.

In my searches, it might be;

- spark plugs?
- ignition coils?
- PCV valve?
- injectors?
- harmonic balancer?
- broken crankshaft main bearing?
- transmission torque converter?

Any information with previous experience of similar symptoms will be much appreciated!
realeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
LeFantom's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '05 E320 CDI Black/Black
Location: Cincinnati , OH
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
'2004, E320 V6 gasoline, 70k miles, airmatic, RWD, W211 065 model.

My car has had harsh engine vibration since 65k miles. I replaced engine mounts and the car idles and runs much smoother. But I still get rough vibration from 1200rpm~5000rpm, especially more at +-1200rpm, +-2100rpm, +-4000rpm. It vibrates in drive, neutral, even in park, cold, and hot(a little less). It's not a resonance but a whole engine body vibration.

It feels like V5 engine but no error codes found.

I also replaced the idler pulley, water pump. Tensioner, power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor seems ok. I cleaned the MAF sensor. I'm going to change spark plug & valve cover gasket next week.

In my searches, it might be;

- spark plugs?
- ignition coils?
- PCV valve?
- injectors?
- harmonic balancer?
- broken crankshaft main bearing?
- transmission torque converter?

Any information with previous experience of similar symptoms will be much appreciated!
..and tranny mount was checked and confirmed being in good shape?
from your description vibration is more pronounced at 1200-2100-4000 rpm.. which are within gear shifting ranges.
__________________

Nothing is written in stone unless it's your Tombstone
- LeFantom
LeFantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
Roadking999's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: E350 4M 06
Location: Snow Belt
Posts: 1,711
who checked the codes?
Roadking999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
realeric's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: E320
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFantom View Post
..and tranny mount was checked and confirmed being in good shape?
from your description vibration is more pronounced at 1200-2100-4000 rpm.. which are within gear shifting ranges.
I checked it myself but I can't confirm it because of limited visibility. ok... I will replace it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking999 View Post
who checked the codes?
I scanned it with OBDII at an auto parts store.
realeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
Roadking999's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: E350 4M 06
Location: Snow Belt
Posts: 1,711
I suggest you have it scanned with a SDS at MB or an indy
Roadking999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
realeric's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: E320
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 131
The car failed to start today in a parking lot. I could run the engine normally after some minutes but it tossed three codes. I didn't smell any fuel. Fuel cap was tight.

- P0335 = CPS, A Circuit Malfunction, CONFIRMED
- P0221 = Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch B Circuit Range / Performance
- P0456 = Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak), PENDING

I have ordered a CPS sensor & a transmission mount. I'm going to change spark plugs, valve cover gasket, cps sensor, transmission mount next week. What else should I do?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking999 View Post
I suggest you have it scanned with a SDS at MB or an indy
omg... I have three codes now. sigh.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by realeric; 01-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
realeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
Roadking999's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: E350 4M 06
Location: Snow Belt
Posts: 1,711
That would be a good start, CPS issues are well documented on the 320's
Roadking999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
realeric's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: E320
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 131
(Update). I replaced spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, and the CPS sensor. The original spark plugs were in pretty good condition. The valve cover gaskets were hardened. P0456 error code seemed to be triggered by the loosen engine oil dipstick plug. I guess I touched the plug when cleaning the MAF sensor.

Result? Nothing changed. . I still get rough vibration. I will change the transmission mount this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Harsh engine vibration, E320 V6 '2004-sparkplug70k.jpg  
realeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
realeric's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: E320
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 131
(Update). Replaced the transmission mount. Problem solved!!! The previous mount was in good condition, no cracks and still flexible. The new transmission mount I bought has a different shaped rubber arms; more ridge and tear resistant than the previous one.
Attached Thumbnails
Harsh engine vibration, E320 V6 '2004-transmountcompare.jpg  
realeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
LeFantom's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '05 E320 CDI Black/Black
Location: Cincinnati , OH
Posts: 566
Thumbs up

Congrats with problem solved.
...thx for pic's, interesting observation of slight differences between mounts - good to know.
Where did you get your new mount from?
LeFantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.