06 CDI exaust smoke - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
06 CDI exaust smoke

Although I have had my 06 CDI for a month I notice for the first time that when I kick down on it hard and the turbo comes on line, quite a bit of smoke comes out the exaust. I have driven it hard once or twice a week but notice nothing as far as more exaust smoke being present. I have filled up with UL Sulpher diesel the last two tanks and wondered if that is a difference or it is common and I havn't noticed because I am apparently an idiot. Do the CDI smoke more in colder weather?
seawalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '05 E320 CDI Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalker View Post
Although I have had my 06 CDI for a month I notice for the first time that when I kick down on it hard and the turbo comes on line, quite a bit of smoke comes out the exaust. I have driven it hard once or twice a week but notice nothing as far as more exaust smoke being present. I have filled up with UL Sulpher diesel the last two tanks and wondered if that is a difference or it is common and I havn't noticed because I am apparently an idiot. Do the CDI smoke more in colder weather?
Nothing to worry about really..It's all good.
... and actually suggested time to time to do this , so called "Italian Tun Up" drive it real hard when road/traffic conditions will letcha... to blow carbon built Up out of our CDI's.
I do this sometimes when someone tailgating me "puffing" cloud on their nose and leaving them in the dust..LOL

Nothing is written in stone unless it's your Tombstone
- LeFantom

Last edited by LeFantom; 01-02-2013 at 07:19 AM.
LeFantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2006 Merc E320 cdi
The smoke is actually a release of carbon from the EGR. This can depend upon your driving style on the amount of smoke released, but truth being told you could cruise down the freeway for 20 miles using the cruise control and then hit it. You will see smoke coming out of the exhaust.
This is perfectly normal..
aeubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

no intention hijacking Seawalker's thread , but I've go to ask you. I read your commendable MPG reports of topping 46-48mpg on long highways runs , but what are your average weekly/monthly around the town numbers nowadays?
Because for the life of me I can not get close to your results and honestly don't believe it's my driving style: typical HWY speeds 65/75 with out playing Schumacher and calm city driving.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 e320 CDI
During my last oil change, I installed 16oz of BG244. I could swear that I did not see as much smoke as before. Now about 3k miles later, I am noticing the smoke. Here is a description of the BG244:
BG Company
Mike T.
mtrevelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
~BANNED~

Date registered: Mar 2009
CDI engine will not smoke unless its fuel injectors are been replaced w/bigger ones or are going bad. Cloud you see behind the car when you floor it is soot blown from the mufflers where accumulates under normal driving.
isstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
It seems to be coming from the exaust pipes ( both sides) I have noticed that my MPG has dropped fron 36.5 to 33.9 to 34.5 if that means anything. The motor runs smooth with no miss or anything.

Last edited by seawalker; 01-02-2013 at 11:07 AM.
seawalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalker View Post
It seems to be coming from the exaust pipes ( both sides) I have noticed that my MPG has dropped fron 36.5 to 33.9 to 34.5 if that means anything. The motor runs smooth with no miss or anything.
My understanding this MPG drop is due to seasonal Winter diesel fuel formula plus, of course, nature of diesels preferring HOT temps v.s. working in the Cold ,therefore time taking to get to optimum Operating Temps(MPG efficiency) longer as result drop you observing.
Isstay is our CDI extremist and innovator )) perhaps he will give you more in-depth answer.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2007 E320 Bluetec purchased used with 82k miles
I would be worried about seeing exhaust smoke, especially corresponding with a reduction in fuel economy.
ULSD is basically a light oil, and heavy exhaust particulate is an early warning sign that there is a potential problem in the fuel system, likely the injectors. Too much fuel going in would explain both the lower efficiency and the excess soot.

I would not ignore that.
SipDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
[QUOTE=SipDiesel;5587389]I would be worried about seeing exhaust smoke,

On a Bluetec, maybe, on a CDI, NO!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class