#1 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2005 E500 battery

I have a 2005 E500 and the Aux Battery warning kept coming up on the dash. It stated there was not enough energy to run the aux features in the car. Now the car totally shut down when I drove it home last night. I ran a trickle charger to the main battery, but it only did so much. Do you think I need a new battery and should I also replace the aux one under the hood at the same time?

Thank you, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: E350 4M 06
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Either the alternator or the battery/ies, have the system checked. Ther alternator should be delivering 14 volts, press the reset button 3 times and the system voltage will show up on the dash. It could also be the BCM.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '05 E320 CDI Black/Black
It's got colder here in past 48 hours..
regarding our discussion about "battery message".... How was yours today?
...by all means...no hijacking this thread intended...))

Nothing is written in stone unless it's your Tombstone
- LeFantom
#4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

at 25 F, no message about convenience functions not being available, but we have 2 or 3 months of bitter cold to look forward to. I'll keep an eye on it.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking999 View Post
at 25 F, no message about convenience functions not being available, but we have 2 or 3 months of bitter cold to look forward to. I'll keep an eye on it.
same here at 28F two mornings in the row...
isn't it a bit Odd (referring to yours and mine messages that first temp drop)?

- LeFantom
#6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
If your MB road assist is still active, call them. They will inspect car at home or work free of charge. And if battery is needed they provide at cost - no charge to install. Did this last year and roadside tech said its the cheapest way to change the battery. Though you need to spend on their MB approved battery whcih is about $250 but lasts a great deal longer than autozone cheapos.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Use a multimeter and check the voltage of both batteries. I had the convenience functions temp unavailable the red battery. One by one i troubleshooted the problems.

had original aux battery that was 10.2v. replaced.- still code
fully charged the rear main battery in trunk - still code
replaced volt regulator on alternator - still battery code
front battery relay- still red battery code
bcm in trunk - no more red battery code or conve functions.

05 w/ 65,000 miles

06 E500 4Matic Sprt/Avant Package Pano roof 11/15/08

05 E55 -go fast mods, 496 rwhp / 530 torque 12/23/10
#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 E500 Sport; 2003 ML350 Inspiration; 2005 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
Battery Protection Error

Well the princess gave me the "Battery Protection Convenience Function" error as a b-day present when I fired her up after work. Checked the main batter voltage while down and idling and it was 12.24 V and 14.06 V respectively. The voltage is pretty much identical to the voltage back in early September when I completed the Service E. A couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to determine the date from the numbers on the battery? I'm guessing it may be original to the car, although it seems improbable given the age of the car.
  2. The warning has completely disappeared after several start-stops - any chance this was just a stray warning from a few electrons jumping when they should not have? I only ask because I've had a warning or two come and go in the car never to return (may be wishful thinking )...
  3. From my searches of the forum on this error, it looks like the Aux battery normally triggers this, but the dealer replaced in May as part of the pre-purchase repairs, so I did not bother checking it - thoughts?

Thanks so much for the patience - I only had to do a quick search/troubleshooting before I get back to the family.

The Current Fleet:
2003 E500 Sport (the German princess) and new school run car
2005 Lincoln Navigator - Nearly 3 tons of flying red terror (my darling wife's car)
2003 ML350 Inspiration - The family runabout and 'kids' car (big, safe, and relatively slow)

#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMBenz View Post
Well the princess gave me the "Battery Protection Convenience Function" error as a b-day present when I fired her up after work. Checked the main batter voltage while down and idling and it was 12.24 V and 14.06 V respectively. The voltage is pretty much identical to the voltage back in early September when I completed the Service E. A couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to determine the date from the numbers on the battery? I'm guessing it may be original to the car, although it seems improbable given the age of the car.
  2. The warning has completely disappeared after several start-stops - any chance this was just a stray warning from a few electrons jumping when they should not have? I only ask because I've had a warning or two come and go in the car never to return (may be wishful thinking )...
  3. From my searches of the forum on this error, it looks like the Aux battery normally triggers this, but the dealer replaced in May as part of the pre-purchase repairs, so I did not bother checking it - thoughts?

Thanks so much for the patience - I only had to do a quick search/troubleshooting before I get back to the family.
well.... it's kind of funny........ because about 10 days ago Roadking & I got very same "Battery Protection Convenience Function" when first seasonal cold descended upon us..
Your locale about an hour away from me( Florence Y'All ) and last night was cold one.. so I'm guessing your Princess gave you her's "Hello Winter"...LOL
Never the less neither Roadking nor I gotten repeat message...( so far).. so let's monitor this fluke and share data.
By the way...Happy B-Day

- LeFantom
#10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

No message this morning at 26 F

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class