BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 320 CDI

I am about to pull the trigger on a 320 CDI on Friday. I have heard both good and bad things about series. Has there really been an abundance of expensive problems with the 06 320 CDI? I have friends that have the older MB diesels w/ 3 to 400,000 and more miles and I have been told this motor is as good. The car has 71,000 miles and has been maintained by the local MB Dealer and the records look current with no major isues.

I am coming from a Lexus ES 300 w/ 245,000 miles and all I did was keep it servised (oil changes) every 3 to 5,000 miles) Great car I also have a Toyota Tundra 4X4 w/ 181,000 trouble free miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: E350 4M 06
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
please read the W211 FAQ's in the temp DIY section at top of the forum, post # 19
#3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That was rather rude. Welcome to this board, my friend. E320CDI is a great car. Some people have been known to drive them up to 500,000 miles. Bottom line is that it is a very solid piece of engineering, but it's not a tank. The car requires a bit more maintenance than others, but the whole idea is quality. These boards tend to trend to the negative so take some of the comments with a grain of salt. The e320 cdi is simiar to the ES but with twice the torque and more comfortable interior.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I thought it was polite and helpful
And please don't call our forum "Negative", we are a well balanced forum.
You may want to read the W211 FAQ's on the top of the forum, it is post #19(you might possibly learn a few things!)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '05 E320 CDI Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalker View Post
I am about to pull the trigger on a 320 CDI on Friday. I have heard both good and bad things about series. Has there really been an abundance of expensive problems with the 06 320 CDI? I have friends that have the older MB diesels w/ 3 to 400,000 and more miles and I have been told this motor is as good. The car has 71,000 miles and has been maintained by the local MB Dealer and the records look current with no major isues.

I am coming from a Lexus ES 300 w/ 245,000 miles and all I did was keep it servised (oil changes) every 3 to 5,000 miles) Great car I also have a Toyota Tundra 4X4 w/ 181,000 trouble free miles.
Welcome to the Best Benz forum. About a year ago I was in exact same shoes as you're.. and after extensive reading this very same forum I did "pull trigger" on my 2005 CDI/virtually identical to '06 CDI you looking at/...and so far loving it. Maintenance of Benz not cheap , but if one choosing the right car and properlly taking care of it this particular model is very solid.
Do follow advise of Roadking - read it. I would add to list of minor common issues Thermostat , but fix is inexpensive and totally easy DIY.
Good Luck.

Nothing is written in stone unless it's your Tombstone
- LeFantom
#6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 95SS(165k) 06CDI(SOLD) 2014 GLK250
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

The CDI should treat you right.

Maintain it yourself mostly and it should be painless.
Use proper lubricants and always choose OEM or specifically Mercedes Benz branded parts all the time!

Maintain a good relationship with your local dealer and maybe they'll let you bring in your own parts.(which you buy at a discount from online MB part retailers like getmercedesparts.com or bmwmercedesparts.com)

Search around first if you have any questions.
If it doesn't work do not hesitate to post up.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI Obsidian Black
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFantom View Post
Welcome to the Best Benz forum. About a year ago I was in exact same shoes as you're.. and after extensive reading this very same forum I did "pull trigger" on my 2005 CDI/virtually identical to '06 CDI you looking at/...and so far loving it. Maintenance of Benz not cheap , but if one choosing the right car and properlly taking care of it this particular model is very solid.

Been there, done that and very happy I did...

The W211 series has produced some exception automobiles and the CDI is rock solid as 'LeFantom' says!

, Live long and drive
#8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
(Thread Starter)
I pick up the car

I picked up the car and drove it from 16 wiles East of Philly, in New Jersey and drove to the Nashville Tn area where I live. WOW what a car. 36.3 avg on the Hwy.
I did not get a owners manual for the car but the dealer believes he has one there. I do have a question ....How do you turn on the fog lights, I have looked for buttons, switches can't figure it out.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Turn the nob all the way to the left and pull to the 1st notch, if you pull to the 2nd notch one of the rear lights is activated to warn approaching cars in dense fog.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '05 E320 CDI Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalker View Post
I picked up the car and drove it from 16 wiles East of Philly, in New Jersey and drove to the Nashville Tn area where I live. WOW what a car. 36.3 avg on the Hwy.
I did not get a owners manual for the car but the dealer believes he has one there. I do have a question ....How do you turn on the fog lights, I have looked for buttons, switches can't figure it out.
Congrats with your CDI buy!

I assume you having your lights switched on AUTO....... but really doesn't matter.lol PULL your head lights switch nub and turn it two"clicks" to the right and you get your FOG Lights "ON"
actually if you look closer there are markings to each position around light switch. ))

Nothing is written in stone unless it's your Tombstone
- LeFantom

Last edited by LeFantom; 12-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.