#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
03 E500 Electrical problems since main battery change

Had the main battery changed out on my E500: have problems since change. smart keys do not open or lock doors when the car is warmed up (work fine cold) and cruise on instrument cluster lights up from 0MPH to 120MPH when I use one of the two keys for car....cruise is off and car is sitting in my driveway. Below are some of theings I tried today. Everything worked fine before I had the batttery changed out.

1/14/12: Replaced main battery again with another one...no change. checked aux battery shows about 13 volts.

Checked all fuses in both front and rear boxes with meter(all good)...reseated relays in rear box. No change.

Pulled and checked battery voltage on all key batteries...shows 3+ volts on each battery.

Both Keys lock and unlock car when the car is cold (first thing in morning or sitting for a few hours (live in the N/east cools down quick): locked and unlocked several times: no issues) When it warms up neither key works the door locks...both still start the car (with the one key still lighting up the cruise from 0MPH to 120MPH....assume they left the key in when they changed the battery...key I guess is done....)

Have no idea what it could be.....as I mentioned both worked fine before initial battery change....something electronic was fryed....where to start....will keep digging.......open for suggestions...thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Did you use an OEM MB battery or at least an AGM battery of the same output ratings?
The dealers here charge about $220 for them.

I have so many lead acid batteries that had the correct dimensions get purchased at
an auto parts store or batteries plus and they have all kinds of issues. There are only
about 3-4 aftermarket batteries that are direct OE replacement batteries.

You mentioned you had the battery changed out. Does that mean a shop did it? If so
there is a possibility they may have done something that fried a control unit or module
of some sort. Also a lot of indie shops just toss in whatever there local parts place has
for a battery and it may not be up to spec.

As far as the diagnosis it is not going to be easy without a MB SDS tool. It has hundreds
of proprietary tests and error codes for the W211 chassis.

One last note, there were a lot of bulletins for the electrical system, on the 2003s. Have you
had your VIN checked by a dealer to make sure all of them were done?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
(Thread Starter)
Battery was replaced at Sams club (Duracell series 49: looks exactly like the Autocraft)...I installed a new series 49H8 Autocraft (Advanced Auto) today to start the process of elimination...it was the same battery that was in it when I bought the car 4 years ago......something fried....could a BCM cause all of this random stuff ? Now the sunroof will not reset....just clicks...another probem to add. Thanks.

Last edited by rdp3430; 01-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The BCM should not create those kinds of problems. If the BCM was bad you should have a visit workshop warning on the cluster.
I hate to say it, but a session with a MB Star Diagnostic System is going to be the most
efficient way of finding the problem.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2004 E500, 2007 ML350, 1995 BMW 323i Baur TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
The BCM should not create those kinds of problems. If the BCM was bad you should have a visit workshop warning on the cluster.
I hate to say it, but a session with a MB Star Diagnostic System is going to be the most
efficient way of finding the problem.
rdp3430

I have said this to others. Never try to save money on anything that affects the electronics on a modern mercedes benz. Period. Step 1: Install new main battery purchased only from MB dealer. Leave ground disconnected. Step 2: Install new auxiliary battery located below interior air filter housing in engine compartment. Remove and install auxiliary battery WITH MAIN BATTERY GROUND DISCONNECTED. Purchase both batteries only from MB dealer. Step 3: Reconnect main battery ground. Step 4: follow steps after changing battery clearly outlined in owner's manual. This will reset windows, sunroof, and I believe the esp. Then see how your car behaves. The only tool that you will need is a 1/4" ratchet, 6 inch extension, and a 10mm deep socket.
This will save you a lot of time and money later. If you need to go to the dealership later, and you probably will, this will save you. Let them know that different batteries were installed before you corrected those mistakes. And please don't ever take advice from or buy any electronic connected equipment from Sears or the local auto parts store for a modern mercedes benz. That's where you bring and buy stuff for older, simpler vehicles.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.