SBC Pump or Reservoir? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2003 E320
SBC Pump or Reservoir?

I have problem with the Red Dash saying "Stop Car Visit Workshop". From reading forums, I thought it to be the SBC pump that was under warranty. Well, the dealership said it was the SBC Pressure reservoir and not the pump for 1200 bucks of course. On Friday they told me if it WAS the pump, I'd have the Red Dash and no brakes. I told them that's what it is! They say the pump is not coding but the reservoir is. I just got off phone to complain to MB corporate. The dealer won't just replace the pump because the computer says it's the reservoir and not the pump. But the tech said the Red Dash warning would only come on if pump failed. I've had the brake malfunction on for two years and never the red dash code on until lately. Of course the pump noise is about 30db louder since the Red Dash failure and brakes go to the floor.
jgrnslt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 90 300E, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
I was just looking at EPC net and they show an item called the accumulator. They do not list a reservoir. The part # is 0004301394. It lists for $795. Parts.com has it for $571.

Ask the dealer if this is the part they are talking about. If so it is separate from the pump body. Either way I would pursue MB on this seeing as the repair is $1200 and the accumulator should not fail either. I have not seen one fail. It has always been the pump. I am sure some do fail, but was it because of a failing pump?

Now please do not take this the wrong way. Driving around for two years with a message about a brake malfunction is not a good thing even if the brakes felt fine. It is like playing Russian Roulette.
Also if the fluid was not changed every two years MB has not honored the SBC 10 year warranty in some cases. That decision seems to come down to the dealer.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2003 E320
Thanks for the info. The brake malfunction on the car is due to the 6 dollar brake sensors not being put on when the brakes were done. Mercedes USA did return a call and are looking into the matter. The dealer that has the car now cannot get the dash to duplicate the problem I've told them happens. The service manager told me Friday that if the SBC pump went out, that the dash would be red and say STop Car! Take to dealer. Distance stopping will be affected! That's what I him when I made the appt! I guess he forgot.
I take it they just put it on the computer and read error codes. The last time I took it to another dealer, they came back with 4 failures totaling around 3500 dollars. I showed them the receipts that all 4 issues were repaired 2 weeks prior. All I got was UHH....UHHH...UHHH, well we would have figured that out and not charged you. Yeah right. And boy, do they hate for you to say you were looking on this forum for advice.
jgrnslt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 90 300E, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
Well lets wait and see what MB does. They will probably tell the dealer first and then the dealer would tell you what is hopefully good news.

I saw your other post and fully understand your frustration. I had an AGW problem that cost
me a battery, Then $800 and 5 days off the road. Then the replacement failed and in
that time frame the part went to half price. I had to wrangle around that with the dealer
and MB for a week.

So please do not leave or cancel your membership to the forums over this.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class