Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY Sticky Preparation Thread

71K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  E-BENZ500'03 
#1 ·
Okay Guys and gals, this is the place to start hashing out the what our DIY
thread will become over the next few weeks.

No idea is too small, there are no stupid questions.

There is already a plethora of DIYs in the W211 forum. Posting links to them
here would be handy so we can organize them and get them into categories
that fit together.

All well done DIYs would qualify. Written only with part numbers. Write ups
with photos. Write ups with video. In some cases links to external advice
with the permission of the host of that information.

Let the fun begin.

#2 ·
How about the service reset proceedure, I could knock that out with pics for you. Simple stuff like this is always being asked especially for new owners.

Reactions: chuang and arto_wa
#3 ·
Transmission flush (722.6), fluid and filter change w/part #’s. I can get the PDF out of Star DVD w/some external links and PM it to you. Probably I can put something together for 7 speed gear box too, but I doubt someone, except few people will do that by itself. Just let me know.

Reactions: chuang
#14 ·
Regarding parts needed for this flush, is this something that works with the banjo fitting and attaching a hose to complete the flush properly?? If so, a reference for this would be great as it seems like the most difficult part to find for the flush of the transmission......

Banjo Bolt Kit M14 x 1.5mm TD05 TD06 KKK water coolant | eBay

#5 ·
I like the reset procedure. I get that question a lot also.

Transmission flush is a must have.

I agree also about some sort of diesel versus petrol designation needs attention.
As far as 4matics there will be a separate thread for the differences in the DIY items
that are not on two wheel drive W211s.

Thanks to all for priming the pump in this thread so we can put it together.

One thing worth looking at is the W210 forum's DIY's. Lou has really down a great job
and put some serious work into it. I ask that W211 members look at it and tell us
what they like and don't like about the W210 DIY threads and what could or should
be different for our DIY threads.

#6 ·
I see Eric242340 already put up the reset proceedure it just needs to be made sticky. Something that could go with it is what the different codes mean. I see it alot on here as well. I had a PDF that out lined it with all of the service codes that I got off of here a while back. I printed it off and have it in my shop file. I don't know what I did with the PDF.

#7 ·
#11 ·
Very nice. I looked at the PDF and it is a great reference. Thank you.

I recently did my alternator and just the info about the tensioner drift pin lock is helpful.
My pin was a hex key. LOL

As far as working for the E500s this will help because it is the same basic layout. The E500
just has two more cylinders.

#19 ·
I must point out here that DAS/EXENTRY is the property right of MB and such a sticky may cause a problem. General talk on this subject should not be such a problem. Just my two pence.

#24 ·
#23 ·
E320 EGR repair

I saw the query about the CDI EGR repair and I think that it was a bad EGR design and that after cleaning mine five times, the only real fix is the go to the dealer and have the valve replaced and the computer reflashed. Sad but true.

Regarding the sticking flappers, I don't know what that requires but if the dealer just replaces it with another intake manifold, then I may be cleaning mine. On the other hand, $1000 is a lot of money; however, 24 hours of my labor in cleaning may just result in me buying a new one anyway.

Will have to wait and see.

#26 ·
I need help!! I replaced the radiator in my 2003 e500 and didn't install the clips properly on the transmission line and consequently leaked a lot of the oil out on a test run before noticing the line was not connected. How do I add oil back to the trans, I tried adding it to the dipstick tube but it keeps overflowing the tube. I called the dealer and a service rep advised me in that direction. I added 4 WTD and the car still doesn't pull. Because there is no dipstick to measure full should I continue until the car start pulling again I no the capacity is 8qts. I don't want to create more of a problem. Can someone advise me further with their experience or expertise?

#27 · (Edited)
buy vinyl tubing from HomeDepot or LOWES I think it's like $3-$4 for 25' measure 5' cut.. feed it down til it hit bottom.. close end with your thumb pull and compare to picture. Pay attention to Temperature...
What ATF fluid you planning to use.. it is strongly advised to use only MB approved fluids... as a temporary solution just to get going you can use Valvoline MaxLife ATF but then change it to Shell ATF 134 ASAP. You will find in DIY sticky step by step write up for tranny flush.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.