#1 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E500 - Rough running when cold / P0410 CEL

I am looking for some ideas to troubleshoot my 2004 E500. It has 73k on the clock and has been well maintained and always fed premium fuel and Mobil 1 0W40 at regular intervals.

About 2 weeks ago it began running a bit rough for the first mile or two when cold. No DTCs present when scanned, so I checked the Ignition packs / leads / plugs. Nothing obvious but the plugs looked a bit tired - made a note to change them when I got a spare weekend.

Last week I was greeted by a lovely 'Check Engine' light. Scanning showed a P0410 - Secondary Air System problem. I checked the pump was working correctly and pushing air when it should - all fine. Checked all the vacuum hoses - look fine. So, out with the valves - Lots of carbon build up. Cleaned them up and checked the diaphrams were working and dropped them back in.

Also changed the plugs, new Bosch Platinums OEM type, cleaned the ignition cables e.t.c also completed an oil change (Mobil 1 0W40 of course!). Finally, reset the P0410 code.

500 miles later, the P0410 code is gone, all codes are clear BUT the rough running is still present when cold, perhaps slightly worse and also the engine now runs rough for 1 to 2 seconds when coming to a halt after a long drive at moderate speed. Other than that, the car drives great, normal power and smooth as ever.

So No codes showing, but still not right!! Before i commit to a large hit to the wallet and take the car to the stealer, any of you gurus got any top tips on what to check next ?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
So a week and no body has any ideas.

Another 400 miles on the clock, still no CEL or codes displayed. The rough running when cold is still present and the engine still runs rough for a second or 2 when coming to a halt. I am thinking that the next step should be to pull the EGR valve and clean / inspect that. When I pulled the secondary air vales they were sooted and probably causing the P0410. Could a similar issue effect the EGR valve and be causing the symptons described? Other thing I have told to check was the Crankshaft Position Sensor, but was planning on leaving that as I understood the symptoms would be more severe and 'should' throw up some codes.

Regards,

Mark
#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The EGR can get carbon fouled and affect the engine's smoothness.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Noodels,

Thank you for the re-assurance. I just finished removing and cleaning the EGR valve and pipe, some carbon buildup was present. Cleaned the MAF as well as I had to remove it for access.

Just been for a quick drive and all seems well, no roughness apparant when cold either. Will know more after tomorrows commute (~100 miles), fingers crossed!

mark
#5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I had the W163 EGR tube get so bad that it was replaced. My wife mostly drives it
and really never gives it a blast up trough the gears to prevent the carbon. So I have
since been having her add techron every few tanks and the carbon problem is 95%
better now.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2010
Ok folks, I am new to the forums and have had an 01 E430 and now an 05 E500 with 100k on it... love it too but runs horrible (when cold) just like described above. When I take it out of the warm garage in the morning no problem... leave in in the parking lot all day and go to drive home feels like it is running on .75 cylinders...
I thought it was probably injectors but no time to get it to shop and hoping not to incur the costs of this fix if there is a simpler solution. One main question (perhaps this is a rookie question)... if this is a problem with the EGR valve and pipe, why would it only effect the engine in the cold.... ?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class