Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WTF were mercedes thinking..?

12K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Alex3 
#1 ·
Ok well heres the thing, My mercedes e350 doesnt have cup holders for the driver and the front passenger...
But the rear seats have two cup holders,
what were mercedes thinking?
By the looks of it nothing lol.
So... is there any aftermarket cup holders i can get?
or should i just contact Mercedes up and ask whats up with this and also ask them if the car was ment to have cup holders for the front at all or not.

#2 ·
What year is your car? I agree MB seemed to have been totally clueless with the US car market when their first introduced the W211. I think they got the message because my 2007 W211 has 2 gigantic cup holders between the passenger and driver's seats.

Or Maybe MB intended your butler to sit in the back seat with your cup and hand it to you whenever you wanted a sip :)

#14 ·
I could have quoted the kid for my comment but I thought he might be upset about criticism on this views and picked up this comment instead.

My point is that MB probably has been clueless about the US car market at some point at least but they certainly have been well aware of what the European market wants. And this is "no drinking and eating in the car, there are other places intended for that". The same with smoking in the car even if German owners have been slow with quitting to smoke. Gadgets like cup holders make the car look and feel like a Japanese car and we don't want that from our cars.

Of course US owners should get what they want but the kid should complain MBUSA instead of MB.

#3 ·
Your car does have them. You just don't see them. Or, it's possible that they've been removed. They are intentionally removable so they can be cleaned out for any liquid spills, etc.. There are two locking buttons that allow you to release the two cup holders and either clean them, or just leave them out and give yourself more storage space in the center console. Are you the original owner? If not, the previous owner probably took them out and has left you beer-less.

What year is your car? Is it pre-face lift? If it's post face lift, the roll top will expose two cup holders. Again, unless they were removed.......

#6 ·
The two cupholders are actually one unit. It's a plastic tray type piece with two cup holders side by side. It has a set of locking buttons and a release mechanism (see pic attached.) It works really well (unlike most other German car cupholders.) And I like that it's removable. It's a pretty ingenious design.

It's probably expensive as a new OEM part from the dealer. Like Noodles says, check a salvage yard.

Attachments

#8 ·
Sorry to sound like a total A-hole but if Daddy took the cup holder out of the car before he gave the car to you, why don't you just ask Daddy to buy a new one? I mean it's a buck fifteen for crying out loud!

#11 ·
whatever floats your boat mr keyboard hero lol,
Sorry to sound like a dick but,
I know the vaule of money, that you have to work hard for it, it doesnt grow on tree's, I am going to have a future as i am going to be a dentist and in the future i will do as my dad did, buy my kids nice things which i had or didnt have when i was younger but with that teach them what my parents taught me.
I appreciate that my dad gave me his old car, and no im not whining about a missing feature as i found out that mercedes didnt put the cup holders in when my dad bought the car, A company like benz shouldnt be doing this. thats the main topic here.

My dad did pay good money to buy the car brand new, and with that i really dont want "missing features" neither would you mate.

#12 ·
Play nice now kids.

Good things about your car and the cup holders:
1) You have a console that can accomodate the later model cup holders, and you are not stuck with the spill and break prone earlier model cup holders where the passenger cup holder flips out of the driver cupholder... both of which suck.
2) Your dad might still have the original cup holder. It's probably laying around somewhere
3) If your dad can't find the cup holder, you can buy one from either MB or a salvage company.
4) You've got a sweet w211! I ended up buying a Honda Pilot instead of an eWagon. I still want to cry. :-(

#13 ·
I have two brothers who are Orthodontists and if you follow this Dental path of yours you will be stuck in a quandry of which vacation home to visit soon enough. You can be assured that someone has removed the OEM cupholders from the front of your car. Either find out where they went or go buy a new insert so that you can motor down the road without any worries of holding your hot coffee in your crotch. :D

#16 · (Edited)
Haha aye, I dont eat in the car but, because its really hot in australia its good to carry a water bottle around at times in the summer or even a soft drink at times.
But sorry for being a bit of a dick lol.
I'll have to buy new cup holders for the car next year, for the time being i dont drive it aorund much so its all good.

#24 ·
If i had to choose between being a normal person without mercedes with two working braincells OR a braindead idiot like you WITH a mercedes that can't find a freakin cupholders... i would definitely choose the first one.

And news flash for you...Mercedes stopped being status symbol a long time ago. Anyone can afford one now, nothing special about it.

#26 ·
Clearly, this guy is an idiot. How someone's parents can be successful enough to give their 18 year old a nice Mercedes, but neglect to teach him English is beyond me. This guy is 18 , spells like a 9 year old, ghettofies his car, and all while talking trash to people that earned their cars.

#30 ·
It has even changed in the last 12 years. When one of my clients saw the first ML we got
he said I must be paying you to much as he drove up in a Navigator that was 12k more
than the ML.
Now he won't even consider a MB after the rotten luck his mother had with a C class.

My 1990 E300 listed for more money in 1990 than a 2011 E lists for now. It does not take
a lot of math to realize what MB has had to do to drop the pricing that much for the
E Class. If they were building them the way my 1990 was built they would be over
$80k at a minimum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.