Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Time to replace brake pads on my 2004 E500?

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  vettdvr 
#1 ·
Hi,

My dealer recommended that I replace the front and rear brake pads on my 2004 E500. According to him, they are 3mm or less in thickness. But the "brake wear" warning hasn't appeared on my display yet. Should I listen to my dealer's advice or should I wait for the warning on the display? The brake pads are original factory installed and my car has 35,000 miles on it.

Thanks,

Ken

#2 ·
The driver's side rear brakes don't have a sensor, so if those pads wear down and cut the rotor (like what happened on my E320), it will cost you more $$ (assuming that the rotors are still good). The dealer should have measured the rotor thickness to determine if you will need new rotors (most likely on these cars).

Regards,
paul...

#4 ·
Probably it is time to change yours front brake pads if your car got 35000 miles. I guess that rear brake pads are in good condition, because most of braking power goes to front wheels 60%-70%.Front and rear rotors should be in good condition. Use dust free ceramic brake pads and change brake pads your self. If you going to replace them don't forget to get brake pad sensors (2 sensors for the front and one rear)
Good luck :D

#6 ·
My E500 has 101,000 miles bought new. The rotors are origional and the pads were replaced at 60,000 miles are still in great shape measured by me compared to MB spec.

When the wear sensor triggers the + in the FSS you typically have 15,000 to 20,000 more miles before you reach the min MB wear point. Most pads are changed early and most rotors are changed way early. Of course your driving may be different from mine, but I actually measure and compare to MB specs before I change brakes.

My current rotors at 101,000 miles have a ridge around the edge and will be replaced at my next pad change which my guess is another 30,000 miles.

Yes they dust and I don't like the dust, but I dislike throwing away parts more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.