Review on Accelera Alpha tires? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Question Review on Accelera Alpha tires?

Hi guys,

Anyone tried the Accelera Alpha tires and can give me any information on it. I was thinking about getting them because I can get a really good deal from a family friend. The tire size Im getting is 235/45 ZR17 97W XL.

I know you guys will say not to go cheap with tires and I understand why but I need replacement tires for now and I also plan on upgrading to 19" or 20" rims in a year or so. My car is not modded for extra performance. I also do not drive the car far distances. My average round trip is less than 10 miles and local roads.

Their website indicates that they are from Indonesia. Elang Perdana____Tyres Industry

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Jim
Blk06E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 90 300E, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
It might be a case of you get what you pay for. The price may reflect the tire's driving quality reviews.
It only scored 2.68 out of 5 stars in a current test with 89 real users of the tire.
Test reports for car summer tyres Accelera - Alpha
Call me nuts, but I never skimp on tires. I also don't go crazy on price. But very inexpensive
tires are priced that way for a reason. There are a few exceptions to that rule, but the
users surveyed probably would not consider Accelera Alphas one of those exceptions.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 01C240 gone; 02ML320 gone; 04E320.4M; 06 ML350
Careful with the judgement here ... That 2.68 may not be that bad after all. Try to look for instance at the rating in the same category of tires there [just for the sake of understanding the scores on this web site].
E.g. for Michelin PILOT SPORT PS2: it's just 1.79 [525 test results - more representative number than 89 for Accelera Alpha] yet they cost significantly more.
Another example from the same web site Continental PremiumContact 2: the score is just 1.99 [1235 test results] and again they cost way more.
Try also to understand where the rating number comes from, look at the rating number and see if it correlates with the number of stars in each category.
While I understand what Noodles is trying to say, I would not jump to a final conclusion based on that web site. And by the way, slightly cheaper is not bad by default ...
To sum it up the price may NOT reflect the tire's driving quality reviews.
It is usually what the consumer's society innoculate in us that the price is a true reflection of the quality. The truth is in mark-up and profit.
athus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Lifetime Premium Member
I do agree with many of your points and I did not compare the Accelara results to the
ones you listed. Interesting data.

Based on that I am on the fence now. The first time I got some Falkens I was amazed at
the price to performance ratio. They were and are amazing tires for the car they were
mounted on.

If they have some sort of satisfaction guarantee within 30 days I would give the Accelera
tires a try based on the driving needs you previously posted for theses tires.
But if you end up hating them and can't return them that would really be frustrating.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

The regular price or online price with shipping is about $100 each tire excluding mounting and balancing.

I figured a discounted price of $85 each tire for now isnt a bad deal until I upgrade my rims in 1 year and than I can get nicer/better tires.

My current Yokohama tires are getting worn out and the front tire is making a rotating sound. I took off each tire and it isnt wearing properly and the whole tire isnt completely round.

Here are the additional info I was able to find about these tires:
ACCELERA ALPHA 235/45/17 XL 97W:
W SPEED RATED -168 MPH
TREADWEAR 260
TRACTION A
TEMPERATURE A

Last edited by Blk06E350; 10-08-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Lifetime Premium Member
There is probably a need for an alignment based on the wear description of the Yokos.
It won't take long for the same thing to happen to the Acceleras.
If the car is out of alignment then the minute the Acceleras are put into the service the
irregular wearing of the tread begins.

Just one thing I noticed, I thought most or all MB W211 17" wheels are supposed to have
245/45/17 not 235/45/17.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
There is probably a need for an alignment based on the wear description of the Yokos.
If the car is out of alignment then the minute the Acceleras are put into the service the irregular wearing of the tread begins.

Just one thing I noticed, I thought most or all MB W211 17" wheels are supposed to have
245/45/17 not 235/45/17.
Im currently using some after mark wheels that a friend gave me.

Im sure the irregular wearing of the tread begins once I put on the new tires but will it mess up the tire right away or does it take at least 3000-5000 miles? I may not be able to do the alignment the same day and Im trying to determine how much time.

How much does a alignment cost and what is the best machine a shop should have to align this vehicle? My nearest dealership is about 2 hrs away from me.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Lifetime Premium Member
I good tire shop should have an alignment rack or now of a place.
The price can range from $70-110.

We had a car come in that had new tires on it start scalloping in less than 2000 miles because the
the toe and caster were so far out of spec on the left front.
The amount of irregular were over miles traveled depends on how out of whack the alignment is.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
I good tire shop should have an alignment rack or now of a place.
The price can range from $70-110.

We had a car come in that had new tires on it start scalloping in less than 2000 miles because the
the toe and caster were so far out of spec on the left front.
The amount of irregular were over miles traveled depends on how out of whack the alignment is.
Got it. Tyvm for the info.

I guess it is best to just get the tires replaced and alignment done at the same time. Otherwise I would be wasting money/tires. Is there a specific type or brand of alignment machine that is good?

Btw are you from Wisconsin? If so...Go Packers!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Quote:
If the car is out of alignment then the minute the Acceleras are put into the service the
irregular wearing of the tread begins.

245/45/17 not 235/45/17.
Actually, the lion's share of W211's come with 16" wheels. The 17" wheel is an upgrade, for which the tires cost more of course.

Jim-

With tires, you get what you pay for. Never mind most online reviews, as people who review a tire and haven't driven that tire more than 25,000 miles shouldn't be leaving a review. I drive over 40K miles per year and have been for over 25 years due to my job and go through a lot of tires. When it comes to tires, it's a matter of trade-offs. Performance, touring, 4 season, summer, snow, etc. I obviously drive a good touring tire, due to my driving milage, but they certainly aren't the best for handling, but they are super for ride quality, fuel economy and I can drive them over 100K miles safely. No tire is perfect for every situation. So telling you if a particular tire is any good is a relative thing.

But like I said, you get what you pay for.
smyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class