Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

06 E320 CDI main and auxillary battery replacement

34K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  CitizenX 
#1 ·
I have searched and searched and can't find a DIY battery replacement for both of these batteries. Can someone please provide a link orpoint me to a thread that shows this for my 06 CDI Benz? I want to make sure before I do anything that I don't screw anything up in reseting electronic data.

I took my car into service and they said I had about 530 amps when they tested the battery (I don't know if that is the main or both). I don't know if that is bad or still ok. What is an approx. minimum before it will start? They just said it would be a good idea to replace them before the winter time. They wanted $440 to replace both, which seems reasonable considering the parts are about $275. I just want to do it myself though. It was not a MB dealer, but a well-known, trusted independent that specializes in MB. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

#5 ·
I'd pay it. That's a no-maintenance AGM (glass mat) battery. Besides never having to check/add distilled water, AGM batteries eliminate the age-old problem of battery acid damage. But if none of that matters to you, get a MAXX-49 at Walmart for $77

The aux battery up front is for all practical purposes, a motorcycle battery.

//greg//

#4 ·
The Mercedes-Benz branded battery (made by Varta) is the best battery sold in the US. It's the only Silver Calcium technology battery available in this market.

You can buy them at the dealer, or you can call Mercedes roadside assistance and they will come to your place and do it for you while you watch the tech do it. :D

$440 sounds outrageous to me, not knowing how much the aux battery costs. I paid $147 for battery replacement on my W210 (one battery on these) three years ago with roadside assistance in Massachusetts.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

#7 ·
Sounds like a ground and/or environmental issue to me. You might want to mention that to your dealer (or whoever you bought the battery from). I've got two diesel tractors, two diesel cars, and a gasoline truck - all with AGM batteries. I think the newest one I own is at least 3 years old, one might be over 7 years by now. Not an oxidation issue amongst any of them

//greg//

#8 ·
So if I buy the Mercedes batteries and install myself, is there a particular order to do it in? Or as long as it is one at a time nothing electronic will reset? I want to do it myself and would be grateful to anyone who can provide the basic steps if there is more to it than changing a standard car battery. Or is it just not worth the risk and should I just have Mercedes roadside do it? Thanks guys.

#9 ·
Forgive me if I'm guessing wrong, but I'm guessing you have limited automative service and maintenance experience, and I'm guessing you have no more than perhaps a few basic tools: a few wrenches, some screwdrivers, a crescent wrench, a vise-grip pliers, and a hammer--everybody has a hammer, or a good hammer substitute.

If the preceding paragraph is totally incorrect, then don't waste time reading further. But if it fairly summarizes your experience, your competency, and your toolkit, then I respectfully suggest that you take your car to an MB dealership or a reputable MB service center and pay the tab for the new batts and their installation.

In addition to buying new batteries and having them installed properly, you'll buy a helluva lotta peace of mind.

There are a lotta repairs and maintenance items I can competently perform myself, but I know (more or less) my limits. I observed an MB battery replacement once, and that prepared me for replacing my batts later on. And I could and likely will do it again. If you were my neighbor, I'd invite you to drive your car into my garage and you and I together would replace both batteries.

So ... I'd hate to see you short out your new battery or mis-connect something while you're squirming around in the deep recesses of the trunk. Pay to have it done by a competent technician. Good luck.

#10 ·
I'd say my experience is limited to basic things like changing oil, but I would typically put changing a battery in that category. With that said, I do realize Mercedes maintenance is a little more challenging, but I want to learn if it's something reasonably easy. Money is no issue as I would not have purchased a Mercedes if it were, so if I felt there was a decent chance of screwing it up then the $440 to change them is fine. I guess what would be best is to have MB roadside come and change it for me and I will watch and take notes. I have all the tools and can follow steps if I had them. No big deal. I just wanted to find out if it was an easy job based on others experience and if they had some pointers. Thanks for the help.

#12 ·
10% off at AutoBarn

I was about to pull the trigger on ordering a new Dekka EAS9AGM49 battery for my 2006 E320 CDI yesterday from Autobarn at a cost of $195 delivered (ouch). Decided to sleep on it and glad I did. This morning, I went to their web site and found they were running a 10% off coupon promotion. Jumped on it and ordered the battery for $176 delivered. Still not cheap, but easier to swallow than $195.

I gather Autobarn does these coupon deals off and on.

- nopcbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.