Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '06 E500, '98 E320, '94 NSX, '02 HD 883R
Location: So Cal
Posts: 38
Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator

I decided to replace the right side mirror turn indicator myself and grab a copy of instruction from the web. Unfortunately, that instruction is not for my car. My mirror housing is one piece design and is not the same.

MERCEDES E W211 EVO – Replacing the mirror-mounted turn indicator

Following the instructions, I obtained a Torx screwdriver with various Torx screwdriver bits. That was the only bit of info that was useful for my project.

The mirror is snapped onto the motor assembly and held by a wire spring on the top of the mirror. There are 2 other flat springs that do not lock the mirror but just to provide pressure and hold the mirror in correct position. Ignore these two flat springs and do not pray on them.

Rotate the mirror down. It is not necessary to turn the mirror inward as it is not necessary to get fingers behind the mirror to release it. Look at the back top edge of the mirror and there is a wire spring. Use a small screwdriver (in fact anything long and narrow object would do) to push the wire spring forward and lift it up slightly. This would release the catch. Then push the bottom of the mirror forward a little and slid the mirror upward. The mirror would slide out. It is one minute job. I spent 10 minutes getting the mirror out using my fingers behind the mirror. I was lucky that I did not break something.

The motor assembly is held by 3 long Torx screws. It is a five minute job when I have to do it again.

This is where I got struck. The mirror housing on my 2006 E500 is one piece and I did not see any screws that held it to the metal frame. This frame is blocking my access to the turn indicator. All I can see is a spring horizontally across the top of the housing. I did not want to do something stupid and break my housing so I reinstalled the motor and mirror. Any help on how to disassembly the housing would be appreciated.

One word of caution, fit check the motor onto the mirror before installing. I did not and spend 15-20 minutes trying to snap the mirror back without success. I had to remove the motor, and fit checked it to the mirror. Once I figured out how that wire spring worked it was a piece of cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-m1.jpg   Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-m2.jpg   Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-m4.jpg   Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-m3.jpg  
__________________
2006 E500 (W211) Picked up used
1998 E320 (W210)
1992 300E (W124) Replaced by '98 E320
1987 190E (W201) 2.3-16v replaced by a '94 NSX

Last edited by chompx2; 09-20-2010 at 11:17 AM.
chompx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2006 Merc E320 cdi
Location: NC
Posts: 750
Great writeup!!

I was kinda curious as how to remove the turn signal indicator on my drivers side because the lens is cracked. It does not seem to be leaking and it still works so i'll wait until I need to replace it as it's barely noticeable..
aeubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '06 E500, '98 E320, '94 NSX, '02 HD 883R
Location: So Cal
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeubank View Post
Great writeup!!

I was kinda curious as how to remove the turn signal indicator on my drivers side because the lens is cracked. It does not seem to be leaking and it still works so i'll wait until I need to replace it as it's barely noticeable..
I just got some new info on how to remove the mirror cover. So I'll give it a go this coming weekend again. Well, this time, I should get the mirror and motor out without fuss. I'll post some pictures and instructions after I got that turn indicator replaced.
chompx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
drivbiwire's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 1,476
No need to take apart the mirror!!!!!!!!!

There is a single tab that is pressed and releases the entire mirror from the car...no tools required except a single flat blade.

Bend the mirror BACK (towards the rear of the car, (about 20#'s of force required). exposing about a 3" gap at the front of the mirror joint), Look at the 9 o'clock position with the mirror pushed backward and you can see the lip of the stainless steel tab, release the stainless steel tab (yes its a bit hard to see at first, use a flashlight if needed) Once you pry the tab aft it "unsnaps" , the mirror, Return the mirror to the normal position and the whole mirror housing slides right off exposing the two torx bit screws.

There are no wires to mess with since the mirror stays on the mounting and the signal uses a built in auto disconnect harness. Just leave the mirror in the normal position and it won't inhibit removal of the housing.

To reinstall, simply push it back on until you hear the tab re-snap, job done!

Tools required, One 10" narrow flat blade screwdriver, one T-10 torx bit. total time, 2 minutes.

Last edited by drivbiwire; 09-20-2010 at 11:44 PM.
drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie
 
Date registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivbiwire View Post
No need to take apart the mirror!!!!!!!!!

There is a single tab that is pressed and releases the entire mirror from the car...no tools required except a single flat blade.

Bend the mirror BACK (towards the rear of the car, (about 20#'s of force required). exposing about a 3" gap at the front of the mirror joint), Look at the 9 o'clock position with the mirror pushed backward and you can see the lip of the stainless steel tab, release the stainless steel tab (yes its a bit hard to see at first, use a flashlight if needed) Once you pry the tab aft it "unsnaps" , the mirror, Return the mirror to the normal position and the whole mirror housing slides right off exposing the two torx bit screws.

There are no wires to mess with since the mirror stays on the mounting and the signal uses a built in auto disconnect harness. Just leave the mirror in the normal position and it won't inhibit removal of the housing.

To reinstall, simply push it back on until you hear the tab re-snap, job done!

Tools required, One 10" narrow flat blade screwdriver, one T-10 torx bit. total time, 2 minutes.
drivbiwire: Is the process that simple for the side mirror on 2008 E350, or are you describing how to remove on an earlier model?
~Jeff~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '06 E500, '98 E320, '94 NSX, '02 HD 883R
Location: So Cal
Posts: 38
After another fruitless weekend. I found out what I did wrong. I found this video on Youtube. While it is on a different model, I think it is similar to mine. My problem was that I never did fold the mirror housing far enough. I'll try again this week end

chompx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
derrickmeade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 E500 4MATIC
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chompx2 View Post
After another fruitless weekend. I found out what I did wrong. I found this video on Youtube. While it is on a different model, I think it is similar to mine. My problem was that I never did fold the mirror housing far enough. I'll try again this week end
Hey there chompx2. Sorry to hear it gave you more pains over the weekend, I was wondering how you made out. That video makes it look so easy, a ton easier than what I dealt with, but then again I had no idea what I was doing and just winged it. Yes, the housing does need to be pretty far folded in order to access the clip, I hope you get it this coming weekend! Good luck.
derrickmeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
drivbiwire's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 1,476
It's EXTREMELY easy.

As I mentioned you have to push the mirror back and release the stainless tab, it's not obvious hard to see.

Once released, the mirror pops right off, and a two screws later it's replaced.
drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '06 E500, '98 E320, '94 NSX, '02 HD 883R
Location: So Cal
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivbiwire View Post
It's EXTREMELY easy.

As I mentioned you have to push the mirror back and release the stainless tab, it's not obvious hard to see.

Once released, the mirror pops right off, and a two screws later it's replaced.
It is alway easy if one knows how. I now can unclip the mirror in less than a min. Motor off in less than 5 min. My problem was that I did not fold the mirror housing back enough. That video helps a ton. I am going to give it a go this coming weekend again.

Thanks for all the help.
chompx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '06 E500, '98 E320, '94 NSX, '02 HD 883R
Location: So Cal
Posts: 38
I did it and replaced my mirror turn indicator.

The video posted is indeed correct. The mirror housing could be removed without removing the mirror or the motor. A flash light is a must to locate the stainless steel tab. It is very hard to see.

I have removed the housing with both the mirror on and with the mirror off. I did have to run to Sears to get a small Phillips Screw driver. My Phillips screw drivers were either too big or too small.

The replacement turn indicator had an extra light that my mirror does not have provision for. I believe it is for the down light. I reasoned that my car will see an open circuit if I just clipped it off. My old turn indicator did not have this, so it would look like an open circuit to the car anyway.

I’ll let the pictures to tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-mm1.jpg   Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-mm2.jpg   Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-mt.jpg   Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-mm3.jpg   Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-mm4.jpg  

Replacing Mirror Turn Indicator-mm5.jpg  

Last edited by chompx2; 11-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.
chompx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
How to fix a Merc C180 mirror turn indicator ntflyboy General Mercedes-Benz 1 12-06-2010 02:39 AM
replacing LED mirror turn signal on C230 sjherber General Mercedes-Benz 0 04-26-2010 08:01 AM
How to replace mirror-mounted turn indicator net-flyer@tiscali.it W211 E-Class 1 05-14-2009 06:22 PM
Help needed: Turn Indicator on CLK wont turn off aussyfiddy W208 CLK Class 2 11-09-2008 11:57 PM
replacing the drivers mirror indicator lens thebog R171 SLK Class 11 05-16-2006 04:34 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.