#1 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bad torque converter?

Just got the news I may have a bad torque converter on my 2004 E500 4MATIC. This car just recieved a new transfer case last month and now I have a new shuddering vibration, on acceleration, directly below the shifter console. Anyone have experience with this or know a cost associated with the repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It depends, .....If the torque converter is breaking apart then parts of it could be inside
the transmission. That would at least require inspection of the transmission internally.
The labor is the factor here.
Did a dealer do the transfer case? Also how many miles did the trans fluid go before it
was first changed? Was the special MB transfer case ATF fluid used if it was not a dealer job?
There is also a slight chance the transfer case was not done right and had the bolts torqued
to the point where they should have stayed in place or even the new transfer case is not healthy
right out of the box and now that there are some miles on it the problem is showing up.

This is a tough one because of all the variables. The cost could range from $0 if the new
transfer case is the problem or all the way up to a few thousand if the transmission is
fubared.
I really wish I knew more about the car and its history. I also wish I could look at it
and have a fantastic 4matic driveline tech I know help diagnose this.

I am really not sure it is the torque converter. If it is at a dealer did they open it up
to see if it was the converter? If they think that is all you need then make sure on the
repair order that a transmission was not needed and is not affected by this so that
you are covered if the transmission goes away soon after.
Dealers can really take people for a ride on theses kinds of repairs. If they
replace stuff and you pay for it ask for all the old/damaged parts in writing
on the repair order. In our state if they fail to give you the parts then they
are not allowed to charge for them. It can prevent a dealer from just throwing
parts at a car and killing peoples' wallets.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The history is a long one, but here is the short version. Transfer case started going bad at 18,000 miles. Over a three year period I went through 4 sets of tires, two TC flushes, numerous alignments and tire balances. At 75,000 miles they tell me the TC is bad. I argued it was the TC all along Mercedes provided the case I paid $450 labor. This is a new vibration from directly below the shifter and the dealer left me a voice mail that they believe it is the converter, but they are going to do some more testing. They have had the car 2 days. They treat me very well and if I argue any part of it they will be good to me. I have 6 Mercedes' all serviced at the dealer.
I'm just curious as what the potential cost might be for a torque converter. I can't recall if it has had a trans flush yet, but I do have all the dealer suggested always performed. I can put a torque converter is one of my US made 60's cars myself for 400 bones just not sure of the cost of a MB converter.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwharlan View Post
I'm just curious as what the potential cost might be for a torque converter.

If ATF was never changed, particulate can cause torque converter problems. Note ATF change is not documented/recommended on ’04 FSS sheet however, ’05 MBMS (new standard) recommends change once @ 39000 I personally recommend every 40000 miles. If this is the case, worst-case scenario transmission & torque converter may need replacement.

As a matter of reference torque converter @ parts.com list $1410, cost $971.75 and suggested warranty allowable labor average 4-8 hours.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FSS_04maint.pdf (55.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: pdf 05_08maint.pdf (66.8 KB, 152 views)
#5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Dealer has agreed to supply the parts at no cost to include the converter and I pay half of the labor. Converter plus parts, fluid, etc. was $1,700 total labor is $700 which includes diagnosis. My cost $350. I love that car so I'll go for it.
I have a new 2011 Mustang GT on order so that will help soothe any pain!
#6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Glad it swung in your favor. It sounds like a very good deal for you.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
Good luck, I sure hope that is going to fix your vibration and have you back on the road enjoying your car!
#8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwharlan View Post
The history is a long one, but here is the short version. Transfer case started going bad at 18,000 miles. Over a three year period I went through 4 sets of tires, two TC flushes, numerous alignments and tire balances. At 75,000 miles they tell me the TC is bad. I argued it was the TC all along Mercedes provided the case I paid $450 labor. This is a new vibration from directly below the shifter and the dealer left me a voice mail that they believe it is the converter, but they are going to do some more testing. They have had the car 2 days. They treat me very well and if I argue any part of it they will be good to me. I have 6 Mercedes' all serviced at the dealer.
I'm just curious as what the potential cost might be for a torque converter. I can't recall if it has had a trans flush yet, but I do have all the dealer suggested always performed. I can put a torque converter is one of my US made 60's cars myself for 400 bones just not sure of the cost of a MB converter.

I feel your pain... I have same vehicle with simalar issue now with TransC... I think the steering gear in these years are flaky...ever notice the steering wheel... any hoot I wish i could get rid of my 4matic system soo many issues
#9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Did the tq solve your problems? I have a 2004 with about 130K with the same issue it seems. Thanks! Dave
#10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Do any of you guys think the first two articles in this search are the problem so many Mercedes owners are experiencing?

722.6 shudder - Google Search

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class