BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2007 E320 bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Need Help Replacing Glow Plugs in 2007 E320 Bluetech

Glow plug light warning is on. Researched forum to find DIY replacing glow plugs but only found 2006 model DIY information with needing 30 minutes to do. My car 2007 bluetech with 54,000 miles. Do I need to replace all 6 or just the bad one. Does someone have a illustrations in removing parts to get to the glow plugs. Thank in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Get the service DVD

Star Service CDs and DVDs

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
#3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Answer

The solution is simple one. Finding the one that is wrong is easy. Simply unplug the connector to each on and use a ohmmeter to read the one that is bad When working they shoud read ohms on each one. the one that is not working is either 0 ohms or open. Subseqently not changing them all at once is kinda like changing a transmission because the gearshift broke. Even if you have to change another one later, so what.

2005 E320 CDI Platinum Blue
1980 280CE Ivory Stock
#4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug brewer View Post
The solution is simple one. Finding the one that is wrong is easy. Simply unplug the connector to each on and use a ohmmeter to read the one that is bad When working they shoud read ohms on each one. the one that is not working is either 0 ohms or open. Subseqently not changing them all at once is kinda like changing a transmission because the gearshift broke. Even if you have to change another one later, so what.
Much easier to connect a OBD II code reader and it will tell you which one is bad.

If you only replace the bad one you will quickly become a pro on removing the parts to replace the next one when it goes bad. The plugs (Mercedes Benz OEM from an online dealer) are are less than $20 dollars.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 2002 E55, 1987 300D
Quote:
Originally Posted by lypdmd View Post
Glow plug light warning is on. Researched forum to find DIY replacing glow plugs but only found 2006 model DIY information with needing 30 minutes to do. My car 2007 bluetech with 54,000 miles. Do I need to replace all 6 or just the bad one. Does someone have a illustrations in removing parts to get to the glow plugs. Thank in advance
Be very careful not to force and brake off the glow plug. If you come across the plug that just does not want to come out even after letting it sit with some WD40, leave it alone and take it to the dealer.(trust me it's not worth the frustration of dealing with a boken off glow plug). Make sure you bring the car up to operating temperature so the glow plugs come out easier. When re installing new glow plugs coat the threads and the body(not the tip) in anti sieze paste.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
WD40 is a pretty lousy pen oil..get Kroil/PB Blaster or Screw Loose. There were designed as pen oil, WD = Water Displacing..not what you are looking for;-)

Also, if the engine is warm we found that helps and have yet to break a GP doing as much

Jonathan

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Authorized RENNtech Dealer & Installer
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area
05 E55 Estate
96 S600 Euro
93 300SE
92 500E Euro Track Rat
91 300CE
91 560SEC ECE
91 500SL Euro
91 560SEC 226/271
88 300E AMG
89 560SEC AMG+ SOHC 6.0L
87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
#7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
dwa
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2011 BMW 535i w/Sport Previous: 08 E320 Bluetec
Changing Glow Plugs in My 2008 E320 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypdmd View Post
I'm going to replace all 6. Car has 54k miles and had it since new. I have the Star Service CD and have already done routine maintenance on the car, oil changes w/filter every 10k, air filter, fuel filter (twice so far), dust filter.

I pulled one glow plug with an 8mm deep socket and 3/8 torque wrench. The plug was made by NGK, and indicates it is Mercedes Part No. A001-159-57-01, NGK Part No. CZ302, 7 volt. Called Mercedes Tysons Corner and was told the replacement part is Mercedes No. A001-159-66-01 for my '08 E320. I stongly suspect it also fits '07 and '09 E320's. Checked online with RMEuropean who claims to have OE Mercedes glow plug No. 001-159-66-01 which is made by Bosch. More research revealed this plug is not Mercedes No. 001-159-66-01 and is actually a 4.4 volt plug of an earlier version, A001-159-50-01 which works on '05 and '06 E320 CDI's and 3.0 liter Mercedes Sprinters. Phoned Bosch and talked with a tech who stated he did not recommend installing the 4.4 Bosch plug into my car and he further stated that Bosch has never been the OE supplier to Mercedes for my Bluetec. Phoned RMEuropean to inform them of the snafu. They've been great to deal with on everything else.

Back to square one. Called several dealers' parts departments, some of which were willing to provide information since I was hoping to buy a set of glow plugs aftermarket and save some $$ ($20 vs. $70-90). Piecing all the information together revealed that currently, NGK is the supplier to Mercedes of this plug, and that it's 7 volt just like the one which the factory installed in my car. Phoned NGK and they do not sell this plug to anyone other than Mercedes. Checked with Beru -- was told they don't make the plug in this spec either. So there you have it. Only place to get it is apparently your local Mercedes parts dept. I saved some money by going to getmercedes.com which is a Mercedes dealer willing to sell at reduced prices ($57).

To install the glow plugs on 07 through 09 E320 Bluetecs, you must have the car at operating temperature (for easier removal), remove the engine cover, remove the air duct that goes from air filters to the turbocharger, then the tube harness (screwed down with two aluminum bolts) which is above the first glow plug as it appears as a square plastic cap with three slits on the top and wires coming out of it (it's first and front on the left side of the engine looking from the front of the car). Now each plastic cap with the electrical wires are exposed. Lift each cap gently with a needle nose pliers to remove. Use an 8mm deep socket with a torque wrench, applying no more than 25nm or 18lb pressure while removing it straight out. Do not bend or rock the wrench while removing as the plug is very fragile and can break off if you're not careful. If the plugs look dirty or corroded, may want to clean the glow plug recesses with cylindrical (perlon) 10mm brushes. Otherwise, insert the new plugs, screw in, and torque to 10nm (8lb). Replace plastic caps, bolt down tube harness, re-install air duct, engine cover, and you're done.

Last edited by dwa; 07-19-2011 at 03:02 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
parts.com has the MB plugs at $49 apiece.

I hate it when the supplier does not release parts to the aftermarket. KYB did that with
OEM ML W163 shocks.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM
dwa
BenzWorld Junior Member

NGK CZ303 Glow Plugs OEM for replacing on E320 Bluetec - Best Price I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
parts.com has the MB plugs at $49 apiece.

I hate it when the supplier does not release parts to the aftermarket. KYB did that with
OEM ML W163 shocks.
Did a little more Googling, and found the OEM NGK CZ303 glow plugs at sparkplugsrus.com from the UK for around $36/ea plus shipping. Since I got six, the total including shipping was 149 BP, or $240. For any doubting Thomases, the NGK CZ303 is the correct plug for E320 BT's. I verified this by finally going to the local Benz parts department, and observing the plug directly. It also says 7V. My original that I pulled from cylinder #4 stated NGK CZ302, but I have since learned that CZ303 is the current, updated plug with same 7V specs. If you do this job on your E320 BT, be sure to stay away from the 4.4V Bosch glow plugs which are being sold aftermarket for E320 BT's by mistake. They are incompatible with the 7V ones. RMEuropean acknowledged it was an error on the part of their supplier and I was told they are in the process of correcting this. There are other online aftermarket sources who are selling the Bosch 4.4V plugs for the E320 BT, though, so beware.

I also ordered the correct size glow plug reamer from Samstagsales.com, "Mark Line" Part No. 131001, for $39 plus $10 shipping. I noticed that Drivbiwire has posted on another forum that this reamer works not only on CDI's but also on Bluetecs and he owns both the CDI and BT, so I took his word for it. It should fit into a socket but I didn't see any threads on this reamer from the the website's photo of the part. I was originally going to get the 10mm and 6mm Perlon brushes which my Star service CD said I should use. I couldn't find them anywhere, including the local Benz parts dept. So I went with the reamer. Probably does as well or better anyway.

Lastly, the "special" ceramic grease is Febi 26712 for placing on the business end of the reamer to pull the crud out of the plug recesses and to apply to the threads of the glow plugs. This product is the MB grease for this purpose (also for installing injectors). Paid $18 from EBay, which includes shipping from UK. Any anti-seize grease would probably have been okay, but what the heck, with the time and effort I'm giving this, I may as well go the extra mile.

I'll be changing the fuel filter at the same time since I'll have the air ducts off and it's right there. I've done that job before, and follow-ups are fairly simple once you've done the job.

Last edited by dwa; 07-27-2011 at 07:11 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:12 PM
dwa
BenzWorld Junior Member

Replaced 2008 E320 Bluetec Glow Plugs and Fuel Filter today

Did the job today. Learned a few things. Replaced 6 original plugs with new NGK CZ303's and replaced the fuel filter. All the plugs came out easy, torque to remove was 10 to 15nms. The reamer I bought was not the correct size and would not fit into the plug recess -- do not waste your time with the part I mentioned in my posting above, Part No. 131001, as it is useless on the V-6. I will try to return it. I improvised with a 38/357 caliber gun cleaning brush and a spray bore cleaner (similar to carb cleaner). Some crud and carbon came out. I made the mistake of spraying computer keyboard canned air with the plastic thingy attached. The plastic tube flew off into one one of the recesses. Tried to vacuum it out to no avail. Finally decided to start the engine and that blew it out. Keep in mind if you do this job on the V-6, there are more obstacles you will need to work around... wiring harnesses need to be moved aside, tight spaces to work. Also, be careful removing the plug caps.

Then changed the fuel filter. Only snafu was the plastic ring around the base of the old filter remained in the recess, and I didn't notice it. Got the new filter installed, and was wondering why the air ducts wouldn't fit properly into the turbo and the air filter housings on both sides. Wasted about a half hour trying to jam the thing in. I came to the conclusion the issue was the fuel filter -- was sitting too high. Removed the fuel filter, and observed the old filter's plastic ring along with the new filter's ring. Removed the extra ring, then then replaced the new filter, placed another set of new c-clamps on the fuel lines, and it was now seated correctly and the air flow crap all went into place perfectly.

Allowed the filter to fill with fuel by turning the ignition to the on position before starting the engine. Then the moment of truth... started the engine and it purred like a kitten.. no dashboard lights... just the sweet rythm of the diesel. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 5 doing both plugs and fuel filter on the V-6. The I-6 is definitely an easier job. But repeat jobs for glow plugs or fuel filters on my BT will be easier in the future because of what I exerienced today.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class