Cherry red exhaust pipes/ rough running - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1997 mercedes e420
Cherry red exhaust pipes/ rough running

Pipes were cherry red under the driver and passenger footwell area. Changed cat converters at muffler shop. They said it was probably caused by a fuel problem.
Car runs fine but a little rough first 5 minutes than stalls and will not restart until it cools off.
Changed fuel filter, runs for 20 minutes than stalls and will not restart.
Of course the light is on on the dash.
Any input would be appreciated.
Paul
P.S. I just bought this car 1997 e420 200k miles-- service records unknown.
paulmcconnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcconnon View Post
Pipes were cherry red under the driver and passenger footwell area. Changed cat converters at muffler shop. They said it was probably caused by a fuel problem.
Car runs fine but a little rough first 5 minutes than stalls and will not restart until it cools off.
Changed fuel filter, runs for 20 minutes than stalls and will not restart.
Of course the light is on on the dash.
Any input would be appreciated.
Paul
P.S. I just bought this car 1997 e420 200k miles-- service records unknown.
Can you pull the OBD II codes?

CPS? plug wires? plugs? hard to say without data.
vettdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Got it scanned today

Pep boys put the obd2 scanner on it and the scanner said either "no data" or " no link". The guy that did it said generally that means a fuse is out so that the scanner can't communicate with the computer. Does this sound right and if so which fuse is most likely to be the one and where will it be located?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 90 300E, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
Try Advance or Autozone. I am betting the faulty unit is the Pep Boys worker. There is nothing wrong with the ODBII port.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Finally bought a scanner from ebay.
Codes are p0308
p0307
p0306
p0300
p0410
and
0304p
What do you guys make of this info?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Finally bought a scanner from ebay.
Codes are p0308
p0307
p0306
p0300
p0410
and
0304p
What do you guys make of this info?
P0308 Cylinder #8 Misfire
P0307 Cylinder #7 Misfire
P0306 Cylinder #6 Misfire
P0304 Cylinder #4 Misfire
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire

A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

•Faulty camshaft position sensor
•Faulty catalytic converter(s)
•Faulty spark plugs or wires
•Faulty coil (pack)
•Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
•Faulty fuel injector(s)
•Burned exhaust valve

•Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages

•Defective computer

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

About 90% of the time that this code is set, the one-way check valves have worn out or failed and allow water (which occurs naturally in the exhaust) back into the pump. In any cold climate, especially in climates with higher humidity, this water may be more excessive. The water partially fills the AIR pump, it can then freeze. When the PCM commands the pump on, if the pump is frozen it cannot turn, thus overloading the circuit and "popping" the fuse.

Given you have multiple cylinders misfiring. I would be very suspect of the CPS as it controls timing to fire the plugs, injectors and make it go varrroooom.

That would be my first suspect.

The p0410 is an issue but I don't think it would cause the random misfire.

This information is all available through search if you will begin to search. Then after searching and putting them in logical failure and asking for support on the problem might bring you better response.

1) You must have the codes
2) You must have organized the codes and inspected the engine
3) You should locate a manual to the engine to understand the components.

Best of luck vettdvr
Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

update

Changed the plugs today. Lots of water in the plug holes. This car must have originally had a cover over the coils that looks like a valve cover gasket to keep water out of this area. Obviously I will need to replace these but do not know what to call them or where to get them. Advice on that would be much appreciated.
Also when I changed the plugs I dried everything out with some help from a few sprays of ether.
Car is running much better however stumbles some on heavy acceleration after completely warming up.
Do I need to reset the codes that were previously set by disconnecting the battery or some other way to help things along or will that not make a difference.
Also I took the privious advice and ordered a CPS and will change that turkey out when it gets here.
Finally== (you thought there would never be a finally!) is there a substitute air filter for this car or is Mercedes the only one that can be used?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Changed the plugs today. Lots of water in the plug holes. This car must have originally had a cover over the coils that looks like a valve cover gasket to keep water out of this area. Obviously I will need to replace these but do not know what to call them or where to get them. Advice on that would be much appreciated.
Also when I changed the plugs I dried everything out with some help from a few sprays of ether.
Car is running much better however stumbles some on heavy acceleration after completely warming up.
Do I need to reset the codes that were previously set by disconnecting the battery or some other way to help things along or will that not make a difference.
Also I took the privious advice and ordered a CPS and will change that turkey out when it gets here.
Finally== (you thought there would never be a finally!) is there a substitute air filter for this car or is Mercedes the only one that can be used?

The one recommend is the MB part.. But Mann also makes good filters. Do a search.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks vettdvr!

Changed plugs and cps. Cleared codes, test drove it and cel came on. Threw an 0307 only, but ran much better. Switched the coil pack from Cylinder 7 to 6 and vicey versey. Cleared the codes, test drove, now throwing 0306. AHA!! Ordered a coil pack and spark plug connector tonight. That should end this. Thanks for the tips. Us new guys need to get steered in the right direction.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Changed plugs and cps. Cleared codes, test drove it and cel came on. Threw an 0307 only, but ran much better. Switched the coil pack from Cylinder 7 to 6 and vicey versey. Cleared the codes, test drove, now throwing 0306. AHA!! Ordered a coil pack and spark plug connector tonight. That should end this. Thanks for the tips. Us new guys need to get steered in the right direction.
You did a good job and had the patience to work all the details. Well done.

vettdvr

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class