LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 e320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good luck Aeubank! I did mine a couple of weeks ago. Mine CDI seemed to take a long time to get up to 80C, and last winter it seemed to fluctuate below 80C. The one I installed is 92C. The car does not warm up any faster, but I know that diesels like to run hot for efficiency.
I did not drain any antifreeze out, I just removed the radiator and bypass hoses and let the antifreeze run out. When I removed the thermostat housing, some additional antifreeze ran out. Just make sure that you cover the oil filter hole as you have to remove it to remove the thermostat. Starting the car back up I think that I put in almost a gallon of antifreeze (1/2 gallon antifreeze. 1/2 gallon distilled water). The antifreeze that I purchased on-line was Mercedes antifreeze but was a different color (yellowish), but once it mixed it looked the same as the original.
Mike T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2006 Merc E320 cdi
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, the thermostat change went nicely!!

Many thanks to the folks on this forum Koningster, and mtrevelino for your comments and your references..

Koningster referred me to a GOOD writeup here: HOW TO: Change thermostat - OM648 (W/S211 320CDI) - MBClub UK Forums

Many of the instructions were followed from the writeup, and here are a few of my observations and changes:

1) In the writeup the guy placed a rubber glove over the oil filter hole. I tried that but didn't like the fit so I looked around and found a cup from a happy meal.. The small size empty drink covered the hole perfectly and I folded the excess inward..

2) Like others have said I replaced the antifreeze lost in the change with 1/2 gallon MB anti-freeze, and 1/2 gallon water.. It was easy refilling the unit with everything together. I filled the reservoir and squeezed the upper radiator hose. This seemed to force the air bubbles out of the system and I was able to fill to the top of the reservoir's internal baffling..

The unit has the 3 bolts but the other two that hold the part in place were not pre-tapped holes for me either. No worries as the bolts went with no problems..

It took me around one hour from start to finish..

Now, the car heats up to the proper operating temperature and the mpg on the computer is higher.. Much higher. This definitely works for the better!!

Thanks again for the help everyone!!
#13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

I am glad that it worked out for you. I too did find the write-up on the web and used it as a guide. Excellent information!
Mike T.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:47 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had thermostat changed out from 92C to 92C because of the slow winter warm up and had almost no change in warm up time in the winter. I could drive 15 miles at 55mph before the set point was made. So now I've got a new looking thermostat on the shelf. More aggressive driving would probably help.
I think that part of this has to do with no having a precombustion chamber. That means less surface area for the coolant to be exposed to so less waste heat transferred to coolant.
Winter temps here are 5C and stored in a garage.

2005 E320 CDI
65,000 miles
#15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxland View Post
I had thermostat changed out from 92C to 92C because of the slow winter warm up and had almost no change in warm up time in the winter. I could drive 15 miles at 55mph before the set point was made. So now I've got a new looking thermostat on the shelf. More aggressive driving would probably help.
I think that part of this has to do with no having a precombustion chamber. That means less surface area for the coolant to be exposed to so less waste heat transferred to coolant.
Winter temps here are 5C and stored in a garage.
Factory is 80C, 92C is what folks change it to to keep the engine running hotter, not quicker to warm up, just hotter, and thereby more efficient and better gas milage and easier on the motor....

You installed it, then removed it and put it on your shelf for future??

'04 MB Sprinter Van 158" WB 316 CDI Silver Metallic
'06 E320 CDI Granite Grey Metallic
#16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Kkaunck is right. It still will take a while for our cars to warm up. I changed my thermostat out because last winter once it reached 80C and I traveled on the interstate, the temperature would drop. I am just hoping that with the new thermostat that it will maintain temperature when it gets cold. Only time will tell. Since I live in Virginia, it really does not get that cold, so taking drastic changes like placing a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator may be a option. Somewhere I read that our cars have some type of louvers in front of the radiator that work automatically (by temperature I assume), but I do not see anything.
Mike T.
#17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Kkaunck is right. It still will take a while for our cars to warm up. I changed my thermostat out because last winter once it reached 80C and I traveled on the interstate, the temperature would drop. I am just hoping that with the new thermostat that it will maintain temperature when it gets cold. Only time will tell. Since I live in Virginia, it really does not get that cold, so taking drastic changes like placing a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator may be a option. Somewhere I read that our cars have some type of louvers in front of the radiator that work automatically (by temperature I assume), but I do not see anything.
Mike T.
The factory thermostat has always been a 90-92C unit but the failure rates seem to be very high as the spring appears to get weak over time and the pressure from the water pump forces water through the unit unchecked..

I tried the cardboard in front of the radiator and it did not work because if you think about it if the thermostat has failed open the water is in a continuous flow and will heat up eventually but probably not to the desired temperature. That made no difference in the temp of the engine..
#18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeubank View Post
The factory thermostat has always been a 90-92C unit but the failure rates seem to be very high as the spring appears to get weak over time and the pressure from the water pump forces water through the unit unchecked..

I tried the cardboard in front of the radiator and it did not work because if you think about it if the thermostat has failed open the water is in a continuous flow and will heat up eventually but probably not to the desired temperature. That made no difference in the temp of the engine..

I thought all along that the factory installed was 80 C on the thermostat based on this thread earlier.....So you are saying this is not correct, and it is a failed 92C thermometer that reads 80C? If this is the case, then I will put my new item on the shelf for future too!

'04 MB Sprinter Van 158" WB 316 CDI Silver Metallic
'06 E320 CDI Granite Grey Metallic
#19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

When I had the old unit off and the new unit in my hand they had the same numbers on the plunger inside so this leads me to believe the old thermostat was a 90-20 as well..
#20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

I have no way to know if the unit I pulled off the car was the original unit or not but it probably was since I purchased the car with 48k on the clock..

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class