Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

comparing older e class to w211

997 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
which car has better reliability? the current w211 or the previous w210? Both cars are in very good condition with all maintenance, no accidents etc. both are e320s. One is 2002 w210 and the other is 2003 w211.

#2 ·
Other factors enter.

You're comparing the last year of the W210 with the first year of the W211.

Last year cars are always pretty well sorted, and you're looking at the best W210 you can. It will still encounter, however, the dashboard and rusting problems.

The first years of the W211 were a bit problematic, but most of the things required a one-time fix only. Many will have been fixed. There aren't, however, rust problems with W211 nor AFAIK dashboard problems.

The cars in question have identical drivetrains, i.e. engine and transmission. No reliablity difference, that is.

#3 ·
Comparisons

Your kind of comparing apples and oranges. The 210 can not hold a candle to the 211 and the new features for safety and longevity in the car. The 210 was a great car in its time and so in the 211 now. I have a 2005 CDI and I would not trade it in for anything...at least now.

#4 · (Edited)
cdi is totally different story and even those engines didn't make W210 sold in US , there are plenty of owners around the World who really love them in W210.
MB generally are hit or miss cars. IMHO the difference is made by mechanics. Once you start taking the car to lousy mechanic -he will convert it into lemon.
Sample is ML320 who generally have shitty reliability records, yet ours running for 12 years generated $150 in repair cost over the time. Still all original batteries. No mechanic put his finger on the truck after warranty expired.
I's say W210 and W211 have comparible reliabilty records. Both had some problems in first years, but those were fixed later on.
Than W211 is well advanced body. I love much bigger trunk especially with folding seats option. Way quieter as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.