BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E-320 CDI, 1984 300D Blue, 1984 300D Light Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E320 CDI Front Brake Pads DIY

I recently completed the front brake pad change on my '06 cdi. It had 63,000 miles and the rotors were checked and said to be within spec. It now has 64,500 and no problems.

This could not have been easier! I actually did the same job on our 05 f250 super duty the day before... they were almost identical!

I thought I would post to give confidence to fellow do it yourselfers and brag a little because I can't believe it went so well! I am in love with this car!

Problems:
  • Alarm... I didn't disable the tow away feature correctly so the alarm kept going off when I jacked it up. I had unplugged the sbc anyways so I just kept unlocking it to turn it off.
  • The drivers side wheel was stuck on the rotor. Doused it in PB blaster, let it soak, loosened the lug nuts slightly and let the car back down under it's own weight. It was still stuck so I spun the wheel and kicked it gently as I sat in front of it. Finally came off. I probably could have hit it harder, but I did not want to and my patience paid off.
  • There were two sensors in the box, although with info I found here I found that only the passenger side needed a sensor.

That was it. Everything else was just like a normal disk brake job. I bought my parts from the local dealer with my VIN number. I used disk brake quiet instead of the mercedes grease since the dealer was closed when I did this. My car did have the visit workshop warning, it went away after I was done. No red lights of doom or brake probems. Drove the car gently to set it in, and they work exactly the same! I even tested them hard last night with a deer... It was embarassing how far back I stopped! Although I prefer it that way.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the info they provided, I cannot believe the dealer wanted $650 to do that! Thanks again for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Rotors are replaced with the pads as a set NEVER reuse the rotors on any MB.

The rotor wear limit should never be confused with "Within Spec" because once used they are NEVER within "New specifications".

The wear limit or minimum thickness of the rotor is when you would be required to replace the rotor and the pads regardless of pad condition.

You have two options on these cars:
-Pads are worn to limits (Typically this occurs first) and in which case you replace the rotors and pads.

-Rotors are worn to limits and in which case you replace the rotors and pads.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkku View Post
I recently completed the front brake pad change on my '06 cdi. It had 63,000 miles and the rotors were checked and said to be within spec. It now has 64,500 and no problems.

This could not have been easier! I actually did the same job on our 05 f250 super duty the day before... they were almost identical!

I thought I would post to give confidence to fellow do it yourselfers and brag a little because I can't believe it went so well! I am in love with this car!

Problems:
  • Alarm... I didn't disable the tow away feature correctly so the alarm kept going off when I jacked it up. I had unplugged the sbc anyways so I just kept unlocking it to turn it off.
  • The drivers side wheel was stuck on the rotor. Doused it in PB blaster, let it soak, loosened the lug nuts slightly and let the car back down under it's own weight. It was still stuck so I spun the wheel and kicked it gently as I sat in front of it. Finally came off. I probably could have hit it harder, but I did not want to and my patience paid off.
  • There were two sensors in the box, although with info I found here I found that only the passenger side needed a sensor.

That was it. Everything else was just like a normal disk brake job. I bought my parts from the local dealer with my VIN number. I used disk brake quiet instead of the mercedes grease since the dealer was closed when I did this. My car did have the visit workshop warning, it went away after I was done. No red lights of doom or brake probems. Drove the car gently to set it in, and they work exactly the same! I even tested them hard last night with a deer... It was embarassing how far back I stopped! Although I prefer it that way.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the info they provided, I cannot believe the dealer wanted $650 to do that! Thanks again for the help
I did exactly as you did for my brake job at 60,000 miles. I measured the rotors for thickness and runout and they were within spec. I had bought new rotors but chose not to use them. My brake job was completed 25,000 miles ago and they still work as new. The pads were OEM from Mercedes. I also disconnected the SBC AFTER following the MB disable procedure for brake repair without the 'startrek' machine.

I also have an F250 and you are right the MB E500 is no more difficult than the Ford.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S55
Great job! Did you make sure you cleaned the hub to wheels surface after you got the wheels off? I had to got through that process to get both og my front wheels off my E55 when I 1st got it. I did not apply the Pblaster to the wheels but I did use it to protect the hub once I cleaned the surface off the a wire brush. I will apply an anti seize lube to the mating surface next time I have the wheels off.

On the Mercedes cars you just check the rotor is still within spec if so replace the pads. You should not turn the rotors there is NO benefit from the that process, If a rotor has warped or is not true turning it will only make the issue worse. Just remember you need mass to deal with the heat of the braking process.

More people need to spend the time to work on there cars! Just remember no matter how much you pay someone else to work on YOUR car it is still yours and not the mechanics. Most jobs that will require special tools will save you enough money to buy a couple of sets of the special tools!

Maybe we need to set up a mentoring program to help teach people to work on their own cars! If anyone is interested I am in Austin, TX and willing to help others learn.

Eraser-X
07 R500 Silver/Charcoal, P02
03 S55
2003 Birkin S3 (Track toy)
53 356 Cab
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E-320 CDI, 1984 300D Blue, 1984 300D Light Blue
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser-X View Post
Great job! Did you make sure you cleaned the hub to wheels surface after you got the wheels off? I had to got through that process to get both og my front wheels off my E55 when I 1st got it. I did not apply the Pblaster to the wheels but I did use it to protect the hub once I cleaned the surface off the a wire brush. I will apply an anti seize lube to the mating surface next time I have the wheels off.

On the Mercedes cars you just check the rotor is still within spec if so replace the pads. You should not turn the rotors there is NO benefit from the that process, If a rotor has warped or is not true turning it will only make the issue worse. Just remember you need mass to deal with the heat of the braking process.
I used degreaser, then brake parts cleaner with a stiff brush. and then pb blaster. I coated the wheels with degreaser while I was working and wiped/scrubbed/sprayed off most of the brake dust. I made sure the contact surfaces were clean, although some nooks on the inside of the wheel were hard to get spotless. I did not use anti-sieze.. that makes so much since although I honestly do not have a lot of experience with it I may be gaining some! I know that the dealer would not have cleaned with this care.

As far as the rotors... I got mixed reviews as well. Some said replace, some said they should be fine. I went with an indie shop who measured them for me and told me it would be Mercedes recommended to replace them, but they should be fine for two sets of pads.

I really thought the job would be harder. I was told the car was serviced when I bought it... could not have been further from the truth. I'm mad I was lied to, but glad I did the work. As far as mentoring I know a lot of cars have clubs that do that kind of thing. The vw tdi club is huge up here, and the two guys I've met have been very cool car guys. I know there is a kc mercedes club, but I'm not sure what they do or if they're into more sporty Mercedes... They may do their own work, I'm not sure.

and VetteDvr, so far I've found the mercedes to be easier! I also did the fuel filter that night and it was cake!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S55
I am also a Mercedes club member here in Austin and it is just a bunch of old people! We get to go to a tech session and an officer wants something done for free.

Now you need to get a copy of the WIS from someone!

Eraser-X
07 R500 Silver/Charcoal, P02
03 S55
2003 Birkin S3 (Track toy)
53 356 Cab
#7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Ovi
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: Mercedes E 320 CDI 2006; Gl 320 CDI 2008
Brake sensor E 320 CDI 2006

I replaced rotors and front pads after 60000k because I heard the rotors making noise. No warning though. I was surprised to see also that only passenger side has a brake sensor. I did not disconnect the SBC, I just leaved the car unlocked to go into sleep mode. Nevertheless, I forgot something in the trunk and I "woke up" the car in the middle of the brake job. Therefore after I finished the job and I started the car to test the brakes I got the red warning in the car's display. I got it reset in the same way I reset the service warning.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.