Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

E Class Main Battery Replacement

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  vettdvr 
#1 ·
E Class Main Battery Replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just purchased 2 Deka 9AGM49 batteries for my 05 CDI's. The battery is manufactured with silver calcium and is warranteed for 70 months. It has 900 CCA and sells for around $145, plus or minus a few dollars. It is an exact fit for the MB battery which is well north of $200 each. It was also designated as a K9, meaning it was manufactured for November 09, so it is very fresh. While time will tell if it meets the same standards as the MB battery, it has a very good reputation. Made in USA.

#2 ·
Out of curiosity why did you replace them? Did they fail the MCR test?

AGM battery's generally should last 10 years from the date they are put in service.

Storage has little impact on them and it's only when you discharge and charge them on a regular basis that the toll on them begins to add up, even then AGM is far superior to standard lead acid plate battery's.

#4 ·
Mine was still working and I replaced it at 8 years service when I began to get the red battery workshop warning. I checked the charging system and all was well. Going on long trip so given 8 yrs I replaced it with new one. Mine was AGM from Carquest and identical in shape, size, vents and rating as OEM. $185 + tax and core. Took 2 days to get it. And are they heavy!

#5 · (Edited)
Why replace now?

I replaced both the main and aux batteries in both my 05 CDI's because they are around 5 years old and one car has a lot of cycles on the batteries. Each battery can be a little different, but most failures start around the 4-5 year mark, depending on usage and conditions of storage. I know I could possibly have gotten a little more out of them, but the price was right for me and I like to be proactive rather than reactive. You can go to the DEKA website and find a distributor in your particular state.

#6 ·
. I know I could possibly have gotten a little more out of them, but the price was right for me and I like to be proactive rather than reactive. You can go to the DEKA website and find a distributor in your particular state.
Same reason I replaced mine, as I didn't want to be stuck in small town USA waiting for a battery to arrive.

Predective maintenance vs corrective maintence works better for me.:surrender: Never did like the run to failure maintenance strategy.

#8 ·
Same reason I just replaced my idler pulleys, belt tensioner and serpentine belt!! Sticky coming soon. First 05 has 85,000 and the other 05 has 120,000
:) Me too. I found the idle pulley bearings rough and they would have failed. The belt was starting to show cracking across the belt and it was replaced. However I left the tensioner as I saw no issue with it and the pulleys were larger meaning fewer rpm's and therefore less wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.