BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: E350 4 Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry "B" service rip-off

Just took my 2007 E350 4Matic in for the "B" service. I've had the car 2 years with only 16,000 miles on it and it is running perfectly. When I dropped the vehicle off, I was told upfront by the service adviser that in addition to the "B" service, they would have to drain the brake system and replace the brake fluid and drain the cooling system and refill as well. Plus, they replaced the wiper blades which I neither needed nor asked for. This added $350 to an already healthy bill ( which came to over $800) and I'm pissed. I've already expressed my displeasure with the service manager but have yet to get a response. I also contacted MB corporate yesterday to ask if this was by-the-book but couldn't get a direct answer from a supervisor who said he'd get back to me.
I've already been given a credit on the wiper blades, but the other service items are still hanging out there. Have I been hosed or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

To me that sounds about right for a B service with brake and coolant flush. I wouldnt be mad at the service department, I would be mad at the sales department for not informing you of how much it costs to service your benz. They're not trying to rip you off, that's a pretty standard rate.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2009 Mercedes Benz E550
Hi,

Yeah not to make light of your frustrations but I'm hoping that my "B" service comes out to only being just above $800.00 on my E550 when the time comes. I've yet to read my service manual but my understanding is that I am supposed to take my car in every 10k or 12mo for an oil change, the salesman suggested I do my oil every 5k as I intend to keep my car for several decades. It seems that the service schedule is tied to those oil changes.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2006 Merc E320 cdi
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What a load of crap from the stealer!!
The B service is the B service. They ADDED on these other things like the brake flush and the coolant replace. The brake flush might be needed (per MB, but not me within the next 10 years), but the coolant is designed to last for 140,000 miles! NONE if this additional stuff should be performed unless you specifically authorize it. Now, in your post you stated that they said this stuff upfront and then they added the wipers after the fact. Did they tell you the costs upfront for the service B, the brake fluid, the coolant, and wipers??
#5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: '71 Pinto
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETuck151 View Post
I also contacted MB corporate yesterday to ask if this was by-the-book but couldn't get a direct answer from a supervisor who said he'd get back to me.
Attached is the service sheet for your vehicle; oil/filter change at 13000 mile or 1-year intervals with additional work calculated by mileage and time elapsed. Brake fluid replacement required @ 2 years, of course wiper reimbursement justified, and you should present a copy of the maintenance sheet to the service manager and note coolant replacement requirement (service 8).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07Emaint.pdf (55.9 KB, 991 views)
#6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
I have service E coming up in another 7k miles...or at 39k miles... wonder how much that is going to cost me.

06 E500 4Matic Sprt/Avant Package Pano roof 11/15/08

05 E55 -go fast mods, 496 rwhp / 530 torque 12/23/10
#7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: '07 E350 Sport Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETuck151 View Post
Just took my 2007 E350 4Matic in for the "B" service. I've had the car 2 years with only 16,000 miles on it and it is running perfectly. When I dropped the vehicle off, I was told upfront by the service adviser that in addition to the "B" service, they would have to drain the brake system and replace the brake fluid and drain the cooling system and refill as well. Plus, they replaced the wiper blades which I neither needed nor asked for. This added $350 to an already healthy bill ( which came to over $800) and I'm pissed. I've already expressed my displeasure with the service manager but have yet to get a response. I also contacted MB corporate yesterday to ask if this was by-the-book but couldn't get a direct answer from a supervisor who said he'd get back to me.
I've already been given a credit on the wiper blades, but the other service items are still hanging out there. Have I been hosed or what?
As noted by others, price not withstanding the only thing that jumps out at me is the coolant flush. So, unless there was something more to the situation than we know about, it's not clear why the coolant flush was performed and appears to be waaaaay ahead of schedule. If there is more to it, then maybe there is a malfunction/warranty issue? Even if he informed you ahead of time, I assume you believed he was acting with due diligence in good faith to properly advise you required maintenance. From what we know, either due diligence or good faith were lacking on the coolant flush recommendation. The brake bleed is a different story.

I'm going to have an inde’ do my brake fluid bleed (C service w/Services 3, 9, 12, 13 due in 11 days because I'm @ 6,700 miles). Service 9 @ sooner of 24K miles or 2 years is the brake fluid bleed. Including MB branded Dot 4 (plus?) fluid, the non-SBC version brake bleed goes for like $90 from this inde’. Like me, you have a 2007, and I understand the non-AMG '07 Es don't have SBC. But, don't take my word for it. From what I understand the MB approved brake fluid bleed method requires running a Star routine. I don't know of a way for a DIYer or "regular" brake shop to do it this way. AFAIK, you'll need to pony up for the dealer or a good indy to do this one. There may be other ways (and I'll find out about them within the next two years), but my car still has almost 2 years warranty and I don't want my methods to be at issue should there be any brake issues under warranty.

I don't know what you were driving before, but MB service prices shocked me too. However, since I do almost everything myself there won't be a huge difference from the Honda's and Acuras I drove before.

The E350 is definitely worth the additional expense to me.

Keep us up to date on how it all turns out.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: '07 E350 Sport Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigstiger View Post
Attached is the service sheet for your vehicle; oil/filter change at 13000 mile or 1-year intervals with additional work calculated by mileage and time elapsed. Brake fluid replacement required @ 2 years, of course wiper reimbursement justified, and you should present a copy of the maintenance sheet to the service manager and note coolant replacement requirement (service 8).
Hey konigstiger,
Thanks a lot for posting the '07 W211 Service Sheet. I have several Service Sheet versions saved (any of which would probably do the trick), but none was for the exact year I owned. I really appreciate it. It'll make my records even better.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 95SS(165k) 06CDI(SOLD) 2014 GLK250
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that coolant was total BS

go bitch and get your money back, even on a chevy the stuff lasts 120,000 miles
#10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: E350 4 Matic
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin_Dupree View Post
As noted by others, price not withstanding the only thing that jumps out at me is the coolant flush. So, unless there was something more to the situation than we know about, it's not clear why the coolant flush was performed and appears to be waaaaay ahead of schedule. If there is more to it, then maybe there is a malfunction/warranty issue? Even if he informed you ahead of time, I assume you believed he was acting with due diligence in good faith to properly advise you required maintenance. From what we know, either due diligence or good faith were lacking on the coolant flush recommendation. The brake bleed is a different story.

I'm going to have an inde’ do my brake fluid bleed (C service w/Services 3, 9, 12, 13 due in 11 days because I'm @ 6,700 miles). Service 9 @ sooner of 24K miles or 2 years is the brake fluid bleed. Including MB branded Dot 4 (plus?) fluid, the non-SBC version brake bleed goes for like $90 from this inde’. Like me, you have a 2007, and I understand the non-AMG '07 Es don't have SBC. But, don't take my word for it. From what I understand the MB approved brake fluid bleed method requires running a Star routine. I don't know of a way for a DIYer or "regular" brake shop to do it this way. AFAIK, you'll need to pony up for the dealer or a good indy to do this one. There may be other ways (and I'll find out about them within the next two years), but my car still has almost 2 years warranty and I don't want my methods to be at issue should there be any brake issues under warranty.

I don't know what you were driving before, but MB service prices shocked me too. However, since I do almost everything myself there won't be a huge difference from the Honda's and Acuras I drove before.

The E350 is definitely worth the additional expense to me.

Keep us up to date on how it all turns out.
Yes I've determined that while the brake flush was recommended every 2 yrs without regard to mileage, but the coolant flush was unnecessary...MB says every 143,000 miles or 15 yrs!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class