#1 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best E500 4MATIC tires?

OK guys. I am getting my Bridgestone Potenza's replaced, free of charge, due to severe cupping at 12,000. And yes, the balance and alignment checked out fine. Just bad tires.
What's the consensus on the best all season tires right now to get??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Don't know where you live but check out Discount Tire - I looked at a lot of tires and decided on the Yokomoha (forgot the number) but it's made for Discount by Yokohoma - it's a good all around tire - I personally did not want an ultra high performance tire rather a good all season tire - so far I am happy with them - they were excellent in the snow and ice in the NW and crossing mountain passes - The car does have some road noise but that's mostly a function of the road surface - when the road is really good the car is almost silent when it's a rough surface the road noise does come through the car. The car handles highway speeds wonderfully. You don't have a giant choice in this size, most are ultra high performance which seemed a waste as far as I was concerned.

Hope this helps - you can always go to Costco and buy Michelins at 280 a pop - these cost around 150 a tire plus mounting, balancing and tax brought it to around 700 for the set out the door - I thought that was a good price

Steve

06 E 500 4Matic Sport
08 KTM Superduke (orange, the fastest color)
08 KTM 690 enduro

Last edited by steveberde; 04-29-2009 at 06:55 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2005 E500S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwharlan View Post
OK guys. I am getting my Bridgestone Potenza's replaced, free of charge, due to severe cupping at 12,000. And yes, the balance and alignment checked out fine. Just bad tires.
What's the consensus on the best all season tires right now to get??
I had bad cupping with original Continentals Contitouring and now have Pirelli PZero Nero. The original Conti's started making a thrumming road noise due to the cupping. This was the second set due to tire replacement for flats and they replaced 2 as a CPO vehicle so I effectively had new tires. The PZN were good for the first 10 thousand now those are getting really loud at 20,000 Ihave 54,000 now. I think these cars tend to be hard on tires. BTW no alignment issues had it checked at the dealer. Not sure what I will try next but I am very happy with the Bridgestone RE960AS on my 944. I will probably try those.

Jeff
2005 E500S4 Everything except Distronic and Heated Steering Wheel. "87" Porsche 928S4, "87" Porsche 944

Last edited by jpuzas; 05-04-2009 at 11:28 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E500W4
I have the Goodyear ResponseEdge. Good traction and not noisy, but I ahve yet to check them out on the snow. Had Continental Extreme Contact before: they were good but did not last long at all.

ODEL
06 E500W4 everything except distronic
#5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350
Thumbs up The new Michelin Primacy MXV4's all the way!!!

Go to Costco and get the new Michelin MXV4 Primacy All Season which now has a wear factor of 600. They are also quiet and smooth riding.

Check Costco for the Michelin tire sale... get $70 off on a set of four tires.

Good Luck..
#6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2005 E500S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitfreebie View Post
Go to Costco and get the new Michelin MXV4 Primacy All Season which now has a wear factor of 600. They are also quiet and smooth riding.

Check Costco for the Michelin tire sale... get $70 off on a set of four tires.

Good Luck..
The tires you mention are great! However, they do not come in 245/45 17inch to support e500. If they did come in that size I would buy them.

Jeff.

Jeff
2005 E500S4 Everything except Distronic and Heated Steering Wheel. "87" Porsche 928S4, "87" Porsche 944
#7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Send a message via AIM to MBZ16V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuzas View Post
The tires you mention are great! However, they do not come in 245/45 17inch to support e500. If they did come in that size I would buy them.

Jeff.
There's the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It comes in that size.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBZ16V View Post
There's the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It comes in that size.
The Michelin is a wonderful tire, however, far more expensive as you pay for that prominent name - perhaps it deserves it perhaps not - I checked out the Michelin at Costco and it was close to 300 a tire installed out the door - I have had Michelin's in the past and have found that other comparable tires at far less cost work as good, last longer, are quieter, balance up better. So, in this era we all live in, "why pay more?" Lastly, I am a fan of Costco as most others are but I have found their tire changing and balancing experience far from good. They make you wait for 2 or more hours, take no appointments and I am not interested in shopping that long while waiting for my wheels to be balanced which has, on occasion taken three hours. My local Discount Tire guy gets me in and out in half hour normally.

For me personally and the driving I do I found the Yokohoma tire performs more than sufficiently and at about half the price - Not saying it's the equal to the Michelin which I run on my KTM Superduke motorcycle but for this car in all weather at the speeds I normally drive the Yokohoma works great.

Steve

06 E 500 4Matic Sport
08 KTM Superduke (orange, the fastest color)
08 KTM 690 enduro

Last edited by steveberde; 05-04-2009 at 11:39 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Send a message via AIM to MBZ16V
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveberde View Post
The Michelin is a wonderful tire, however, far more expensive as you pay for that prominent name - perhaps it deserves it perhaps not - I checked out the Michelin at Costco and it was close to 300 a tire installed out the door - I have had Michelin's in the past and have found that other comparable tires at far less cost work as good, last longer, are quieter, balance up better. So, in this era we all live in, "why pay more?" Lastly, I am a fan of Costco as most others are but I have found their tire changing and balancing experience far from good. They make you wait for 2 or more hours, take no appointments and I am not interested in shopping that long while waiting for my wheels to be balanced which has, on occasion taken three hours. My local Discount Tire guy gets me in and out in half hour normally.

For me personally and the driving I do I found the Yokohoma tire performs more than sufficiently and at about half the price - Not saying it's the equal to the Michelin which I run on my KTM Superduke motorcycle but for this car in all weather at the speeds I normally drive the Yokohoma works great.

Steve
In this particular case though the Michelins will far outlast the Yoko. I too have used the Yokos but they wear out faster especially when you have to drive the car aggresively. These tires (245/45/17) run about $180 per tire at tirerack, so nowhere close to $300 a tire. These are one of the few Ultra High Performance All Season tires.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class