#1 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
battery e320 2003

i have not used my car for two months, now battery is dead as a nail, nothing works, can't even get the key to turn, i cannot open the trunk to get to the battery, is there a way to jump start or change the aux-battery, if so where is the aux battery.

any suggestions, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2009
If you can get into the engine bay there are /is normally a place you can hook up a charger as in the factory one near the fusebox and there is also the starter motor and the alternator which definitely have a [if you can reach them] a positive terminal .Starter for a jumpstart or even to get power to the battery so you can open the boot,alternator for the same except do not jump start.ok? Kevman
#3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would open the trunk with the mechanical key (the metal blade hidden into the plastic key) and charge the battery.

The AUX battery is isolated with a relay, of course you can find wires from the engine bay that are connected to the main battery at the trunk.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
I worked on the injectors on my cdi and believe me, there no big cable in site where you can hook up the jumper. It is W210 that has a post for jump start, but not W211.
As DB said the blade key suppose to open the trunk, otherwise I would put small charger on fuse rail to charge the car enough to open the doors and than replace the big battery
Strange that the battery went flat in 2 months. We had our older MB parked several times for 5 weeks and they always started without jump.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E220T CDI Avantgarde
There ARE posts in the engine bay (passenger side, by the interior airfilter box (at least my S211 has them)), and I do believe Diesel Benz is correct in saying they can be used for a jump start or charging, but I think the manual recommends connecting directly to the battery. Note, the manual states that the engine bay posts should NEVER be used for providing jump starts to other cars.

I'd go with Diesel Benz's advice. use the mechanical key to open the trunk and hook up a car electronics safe charger (which will control voltage spikes, have no sparking, and never go above 16V. I use a Swedish made CTEK 3600 myself) to the battery posts and charge the battery. The battery might need to be replaced if it can't hold a charge, though. In any case I'd be careful, if you jump start and have bad luck or do something wrong, it can cost quite a bit of money to replace MB branded black boxes...

E class interactive Owners Manual, Jump Starting: http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...d13e47538.html

E class interactive Owners Manual, charging the battery: http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...d13e46908.html (with the charger I use it's not necessary to remove, or even disconnect, the battery from the vehicle. Which is why I like it.)

Last edited by snugglecola; 03-06-2009 at 05:36 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglecola View Post
There ARE posts in the engine bay (passenger side, by the interior airfilter box (at least my S211 has them)), and I do believe Diesel Benz is correct in saying they can be used for a jump start or charging, but I think the manual recommends connecting directly to the battery. Note, the manual states that the engine bay posts should NEVER be used for providing jump starts to other cars.
My W211 does not have the jump start poles at the engine bay. I understand that all Wagons have those (do they assume wagons having cargo at the trunk ).

Some sedan owners claim they have the charge pole at the engine bay too. I'd really like to see a photo from a sedan. Or could it be on the smaller engines only where there is more room. Even EPC shows some of the parts for the jump start pole that definitely do not exist in my W211.

The on-line manual is "only" for current models that are a bit different because no AUX battery etc. It anyway shows the pole only for the wagon, for the sedan they advice to connect to the battery at the trunk.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E220T CDI Avantgarde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
My W211 does not have the jump start poles at the engine bay. I understand that all Wagons have those (do they assume wagons having cargo at the trunk ).

Some sedan owners claim they have the charge pole at the engine bay too. I'd really like to see a photo from a sedan. Or could it be on the smaller engines only where there is more room. Even EPC shows some of the parts for the jump start pole that definitely do not exist in my W211.

The on-line manual is "only" for current models that are a bit different because no AUX battery etc. It anyway shows the pole only for the wagon, for the sedan they advice to connect to the battery at the trunk.
I think you're right. Taking a closer look, it certainly does seem like only the wagons have the jump start posts in the engine bay. I don't see a logical reason for this difference in design though, but I'm sure it's something. I don't think MB would put the posts in the engine bay on the wagons, and not in the sedans (W211), for no specific reason?

I checked the owners manual for my pre-facelift car to compare with the on-line manual (written for the facelifted cars), and the instructions for charging the battery or jump starting seem to be the same regardless of the design differences between the cars. The "old" manual describes the engine bay posts only for the wagons (S211), as well.

Last edited by snugglecola; 03-07-2009 at 07:13 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There is always free Road-Aid on a jump...1800formercedes
#9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
I took out my 2003 E320 blower motor filter under the hood. I found out there is a small battery. I think we might charge the car from there.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewong1 View Post
I took out my 2003 E320 blower motor filter under the hood. I found out there is a small battery. I think we might charge the car from there.
Charge the car or the battery? You can charge the AUX battery but it would not be connected to the main battery at the trunk and the main battery would not get charged from the front (when ignition is off, which should be the case if you try to charge the battery).

There are connectors at the front that allow charging the main battery but none that was intended for this (or jump starting), that is on a sedan model.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.