E320 Wagon Rear Suspension Question - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
I don't see anything missing from the description above, just that the definition of "adjustable" may be a bit confusing here. Both options self-level the car which is sort of "adjustable against the load on the car". Airmatic has in addition an option for the driver to select different suspension level settings (and adjustable shocks plus selectable suspension air bag size, making the spring function softer or harder by switching off part of the "air reservoir", at the rear it is the visible part).
Diesel Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E320 estate
The air bellows on the self levelling rear suspension (right side) leaked on my 2004 estate (without Airmatic) after 4.5 years and 68k km. Replace both sides since I saved a bit on calibration and labour and figure it's a matter of time the other side goes.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2009
Hello

I have an air leakage on my E220 cdi -03. It seems like an valve problem since it sometimes doesn't leak and sometimes the tail is low after a night's stand. Has anyone had the same problem and could you tell where are the valves of the system. There were some pics about the system in this thread but a part list could also be helpful. If the valves are in the springs am I looking to whole spring change? The cost of one air spring was in Finland about 500 €.
pikku-jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: '04 E320 Estate Metallic Blue
I have 2004 e320 station wagon too, but not AWD. I have a problem with left rear lowering after the car has been parked for a while. It will raised itself after I start the engine but even than. It is noticeable that the right rear is higher than the left. Did you have any problems such as this or if you know what is going on there and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance...
ih50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikku-jussi View Post
Hello

I have an air leakage on my E220 cdi -03. It seems like an valve problem since it sometimes doesn't leak and sometimes the tail is low after a night's stand. Has anyone had the same problem and could you tell where are the valves of the system. There were some pics about the system in this thread but a part list could also be helpful. If the valves are in the springs am I looking to whole spring change? The cost of one air spring was in Finland about 500 €.
BTDT. What you have is a leak in the spring and it is a small hole. At night power off the temp cools the air volume is reduced the rear sags a bit and the air leaks out then the car settles on the chassy. It is only a matter of time before you have a total failure of the air spring.

I have been down this road with the dealer under warranty. The first time I brought it in "could not duplicate". NUTS. I waited until the warning came on every time I started the car then drove it in and left it running so they could see and verify the warning.

I went back 2 days later after they replaced the air pump in the left front fender telling me the pump had failed. (nuts again,, the air pump always pumped it up after start therefore the pump works). However when they drove the car out the rear had totally collapsed. I refused the car and the took it back into the shop and confirmed the air springs had failled.

Summary ,,, just a matter of time before your air springs fail

If they sold the E500 w/normal steel springs I would prefer it for the reliability. I consider the air suspension unreliable with so many strut and spring failures. This might not be an issue is it weren't $1500+ for each failure.

Now that I have had my rear air spring fail I am waiting for the front struts to fail. They have to be running a close 2nd.
vettdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2003
2004 e320 wagon rear suspension issue

I just bought an 04 e320 wagon with 82k on it. The rear right wheel is essentially on the chassis and the rear driver's side air suspension is fully (hyper) extended. The car did this once before, but corrected itself at cycle of the key, the dealer replaced the pump and airbag on the driver's side last year, the date code on the bag that is down shows 2003.

Any ideas?
Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
If anyone needs a suspension from a 2006 W211 E350 non sport, I am selling this:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...uspension.html

Send me a PM if you want to purchase it. Thanks!
kiamcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: '04 E320 Estate Metallic Blue
Herbert,
Eventually they had to replace the rear suspension all together. I had to wait 3 days for left suspension and when they are all done, it turned out they ordered and replace the wrong side. Luckily they have the other side in stock and replace it. All of this was under warranty, so I got a complete new rear suspension. I think, like the previous post, would eventually need to have it replaced.

Good luck
ih50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih50 View Post
Herbert,
Eventually they had to replace the rear suspension all together. I had to wait 3 days for left suspension and when they are all done, it turned out they ordered and replace the wrong side. Luckily they have the other side in stock and replace it. All of this was under warranty, so I got a complete new rear suspension. I think, like the previous post, would eventually need to have it replaced.

Good luck
Are you sure they did replace the whole rear suspension and not just the "whole air spring part"? I cannot see why they would have replaced struts etc. Then again, the rear air spring is a single spare part, the shocks come separate for the rear.
Diesel Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
My 04 4-matic wagon has always sat on its frame after a night out at minus 20 or colder but always comes back up after starting. Last Friday the passenger side would not come up and then the driver's side let out a loud "pop", then hissing noise and it went down also. Suspect air spring failures??

Anyone know where I can pick up replacement air springs without going to the dealer or are these dealer only parts?

2004 E320 4-Matic Wagon
2003 VW Passat 4-Motion Wagon
1986 Intermeccanica Roadster RS
1983 300SD
1966 912
inter911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class