Performance upgrades on E500 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Performance upgrades on E500

I've been browsing on this site and seeing some people go with the Renntech ECU upgrade will others go with Powerchip. Is it worth the extra $$ to go with Renntech? Any other owners have experience with Kleemann upgrades?

I'm debating on who to go with as far as ECU upgrade, upgrade the air intake, and probably exhaust system as well. Can't do the headers, cost way too much.

I see that benz dealerships in CA have kleemann/renntech onsite and doing upgrades won't void the warranty on the benz.

Any help/comments will be helpful in me making a decision on what to purchase.

05 E55 -go fast mods, 496 rwhp / 530 torque 12/23/10
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Send a message via Skype™ to philfna
I am in favor of anything that does NOT void the warranty. I have the KD-box in my E320 Bluetec, and I am having the ECU done for my S550 by Kleeman. I think this is a reputable safe company. No idea about Renntech personally, but they have a great reputation as well.
philfna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

well contacted Kleemann and they have a special running thru end of this month (jan)
ECU and headers for $1500 + shipping...pretty good deal. Will increase HP to about 30-35 to the crank.

Debating if i should pull the trigger and purchase, since i have warranty thru 2013. Dont want a CEL to come on and dealership find out i got ecu upgrade/header and void the warranty i have on it.
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
For what it's worth chipping an ecu will void your drivetrain warranty if discovered. I have seen many done but it's a gamble taken by the owner. Most dealers will ignore its having been done providing you don't piss them off and don't have some bizarre engine failure that warrants a factory special tech to investigate the failure. They can find many items in the ecu memories with their version diagnostic computer and if a chip mod is found it's what they refer to as the ball game.
Bill
Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
For what it's worth chipping an ecu will void your drivetrain warranty if discovered. I have seen many done but it's a gamble taken by the owner. Most dealers will ignore its having been done providing you don't piss them off and don't have some bizarre engine failure that warrants a factory special tech to investigate the failure. They can find many items in the ecu memories with their version diagnostic computer and if a chip mod is found it's what they refer to as the ball game.
Bill
I'm not doubting you but are you certian a chip will void the warranty? I've been told that's not so - can't guarantee that but that's what I've been told - moreover, replacing ecu's have been standard practice on motorcycles for years without issue - I seriously doubt an ecu or chip purhcased from Kleeman or the like would void the warranty - after all what harm could it do ?-

The moment you put it in you'll know if the car runs better or doesn't - if it doesn't perform why keep it? If it does what harm can it do? It's impossible to run these cars at such high levels (on the road) that you could harm the engine or transmission -

Just my view nothing authoritative -

Steve

Last edited by steveberde; 01-27-2009 at 05:56 PM.
steveberde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Hi Steve, to replace a ecu in a modern car now it comes blank or empty and a program string is set in place via a computer link to the factory. I'm not a computer guy so the nuts and bolts are beyond my scope but I know the Feds are responsible for making it so difficult for programming due to emissions regs. Horsepower is a factor of pounds per hour of fuel burnt, thats how you set an enine dyno up and monitor your progress during your procedure. To increase horsepower output you will be changing the base alogrythems to increase the delivery factor hence moving the fuel delivery and burn characteristics out of certified design settings for the engine package to be legal in the states. I'm almost POSITIVE an action making the basic engine certification will be taken with a dim view by the manufacture. If were selling a gold mine I would swear that I saw gold in them thar hills, think about it for a bit. I personally have seen a factory rep deny a complete engine replacement due to tampering. It was only around 30-40 grand. I replaced head gaskets on a AMG cls550 last year for oil leakage when the car was chipped, the supercharger drive pulley was increased in dia. overdriving the supercharger, it was fit with headers and the exhaust was changed. It was also fit with aftermarket cams. The owner was sort of taken aside by management and given the unofficial thats it speech. I can only tell what I have seen or heard, good luck. For what it is worth the car was unbelievable to drive.
Bill
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Bill - I don't doubt for a moment what you're saying - and yes it's very possible if a guy blows an engine due to his having modified ANYTHING the factory will balk - and, I know CA is way more difficult to deal with when it comes to any modifications to the engine -

Having said that I have modified my engines (not on the E) and have continued to pass the emissions police - and yes I know that any changes to the ecu will show on the computers that the dealers use -

No argument that changing things will give the factory a reason to deny a warranty claim - So far I've been blessed with dealers that will work with me but I fear that will eventually end -

I would love to have driven the blown AMG - I'm sure it was incredible - my 500 is kind of a "dog" in stock form but it's the best I can do right now -

My friend is having a Brambus E wagon being done right now in So CA - 600 hp - !!!!!

Take care

Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

I had the pleasure of working with a producer many years ago on a projject that was awesome. I ran a dyno in a LA dealership and had a descent following from the movie industry.I corrected and improved a already existing nitrous system in a 560 sel for a client. It got sideways on a on ramp and hit the top in excess of a hundred. A few weeks later I was approached by a gentleman asking me if I had done this other car as they were friends. I responded saying yes, he asked if I could make his car faster. It was an early 500 sec. I responded that horsepower was a product of cubic money, he responded saying that I couldn't spend all his money. It took a year to do but the basic outcome was pretty spooky. It was a stroked 500 with flowed heads, digital electronic fuel injection with a supercharger set up through a custom manifold.It had two stage nitrous, a completely custom built trans, Bosani stainless tuned headers and a Thorsen Gleason ratchet locker.It was a colaboration of several techs. the main player was Lar Dog, Larry Durant was his real name. He passed away several years ago but anyway he did an amazing job of putting it together.The car made in excess of 700 HP with 5 liters and is still a benchmark in Hollywood legend
The owner passed away a few years ago and it was given to the Peterson Musiumas I was told. Driving this car was an experience. I was told it ran 184 at El Marage in So.Cal. and still had something left when the owner lifted. For those non believers there were pics of the engine at the MB training center for years. The bill was in excess of 80000 if my memory serves me right.
Bill
Bill
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thank God for goofy guys that want hp and don't care what it costs - God bless them

Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Amen

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class