Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2006 E-350 - want to buy Extended Factory Warranty

10K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  scottejupiter 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :) ,

I am newbie here at this forum and would like some wise information/advises on buying an extended warranty for my new E-350 I am going to buy next few days.

It has 49300 miles now and soon be expired soon. I called MB dealer and they only offered third party warranty. I want to buy the factory warranty and learned that I could do so before the original warranty expired. Also, the primary reason I want to buy the warranty because read a lot of bad news about things broke down on E-class from 1999 to 2004 and the repair cost would be overly expensive. :crybaby2: Here is where I read those bad news: Mercedes Benz E Class Lemon Problems

I was hesitate on the third party warranty because I heard they used after market parts when we bring in for service. Is that true?

Please advise any good warranty to get, especially how to get the MB factory warranty.:confused:

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Wayne :thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
one trip to shop could easily cover the price of the warranty. its like rolling the dice. MB's have reliability issues and are expensive to fix, that's why i got mine. you can add it to your loan and it doesn't make a huge difference each month, for peace of mind.

check out mercury, that's where i got mine. 1554 for 3 year or to 85k miles - whatever comes first.

i was going to risk it but i sleep much better at night knowing my car is completely covered for 3 years. plus its transferable, so if i sell the car the next owner can use it. towing is covered, 50 dollar deductible, any MB dealership or licensed mechanic accepts.

#4 ·
I bought a Certified 2006 E 350 from a MB Dealer on April 18th 2008 with 40595 miles on it. On August 21, 2008 I purchased the 24 month MB Extended Limited Warranty It will run from February 28th 2011 until February 27th 2013 or 100,000 miles. February 28th 2011 is the date the 1 year Pre Owned Certified Warranty runs out. The purchase price was $2,213.75 plus your tax. The contract states it MUST be a Certified Pre Owned MB. It states they can use new or remanufactured MB parts. Repairs must be done at a MB Dealership. No charge for parts, labor or diagnostics related to warranty repair. It is transferable to a private party. Hope this helps you.

#6 ·
A. Brewer: I hope this explains it better for you. At times I have a hard time getting the stuff from my brain throught my fingers onto the computer. Here goes. The original New Car Warranty of 4 years starts from the in service date of 2/28/06, that would take it to 2/28/10. Now the Pre Owned Certified 1 year kicks in until 2/28/11. Add 2 years for the Extended Warranty I bought and that takes it to 2/27/13.

#8 ·
bought mine with 36K currently has 53K its been good for an 04' most problems are with the 03's if you can get one without AIRMATIC you will be fine. the only thing that i would do is change the radio if you listen to it very high. the factory amp will shut off the COMAND system on and off on its own and wined up being very annoying. my friend has a 00' E320 with close to 200K and it has been an excellent vehicle with the exception of the fog light wires burning from time to time. if my AIRMATIC fails again i will be taking a tank of gas to my car and lighting it with a match. Also make sure you have all service recalls and TSB's performed it not done so. good luck with your purchase on whatever you plan on buying.

#9 · (Edited)
98-02

w210's had a minuscule portion of the problems of the W211.With those low miles pass on the warranty and keep it maintained,do the trans fluid and filter change directed by the mercedes TSB and sell it in 2 years.The resale value by then will be in the 12K range.So really no need to invest money in a warranty on a car that won't be worth that much.If you financed it and build a warranty into the loan you have bad money chasing bad money.
:bowdown:
you may want to reevaluate the choice of a w211.Highest recalls in MB history.If you are getting it from a mercedes dealer you are already paying far over market value,and will be way upside down the minute you drive off the stealerships lot

#13 ·
I just purchased an e 500 4matic - can someone tell the issues with the Airtronic? I need to prepare for it - car is in warranty for two more years - I drive few miles per year but wanted the 4matic - love the big V8 however - just sold my e 420 never had an issue with it except instrument cluster went a bit goofy on me - got it rebuilt for 250 - works perfectly -

Steve

#14 ·
I bought a after market extended warranty as I purchased my car with 39k miles and i used it already 3 times. No major issues just stuff like power lock on one side, a good speaker determined as bad :) (this is my all time favorite) wind shield washer system that didn't work and a few other minor things.

The bills together where about 1800 Dollars. They covered most of it. Today I'll bring it in to get some stuff done (nothing really broken) just to make it look like new again. My list has a total of 15 points they will need to be fixed.

About the COMAND, I never experienced anything like turning on/off by itself.

I'm sure my decision of buying the warranty was is worth.

#15 ·
I took my 500 4matic in for an oil service at 40K -the service mgr said the 13K service is under "normal" conditions - he wants to sell me a 799 one time lifetime oil change service for up to 4 changes a year for life of the car transferable - full synthetic etc -

I inquired about a MB certified extneded warranty and the financial mgr told me it was 5500 bucks for my 500 e 4matic - unbelievable - no thanks - I'll underwrite my own warranty -

Just curious - what did you pay for your warranty? This quote was for a factory MB warranty -

#19 ·
My E500 4matic has 40K (06) the oem warranty runs until 10/10 or 50K whichever comes first - since I don't drive very much I'll probably get most of the nearly 2 years remaining - so far there have been only a couple of minor issues fixed on warranty - just out of curiosity I checked with the dealer re: an exteneded warranty - he offered a variety - a 7 year 75K mile warranty (three added years to oem warranty) would have cost me $5500 plus tax plus a 15% transfer or some surcharge - I almost laughed and so did he when he gave me the number - at that point he said - I wouldn't do it - I said I wouldn't consider it -

I'll take my chances - what Airmatic issues are lurking btw - so far nothing has happened to mine -

Steve

#21 ·
I've owned three E cars during the past 20 years - I have almost no issues with them. Each of the previous E cars a 1990 4 matic was traded for a 97 420 - each of the E cars had more than 120K when I traded them - My current car an 06 500 4 matic so far has had a few minor issues repaired under warranty -

Just for the heck of I decided to check the MB lemon site referred to earlier in this thread - I also checked out a Lexus repair site - here it is for your reading enjoyment - Consumer complaints about Lexus

It seems there are issues with every mechnical device made - If you want to enjoy some complaining check out any BMW car or motorcycle consumer sites - also Ducati forums will fill you up with hundreds of whining and complaining -

I seriously doubt MB has anything close to any of the other cars mfr. - My experience with not only the dealership but the MB factory so far has been exactly as I expected - they've taken great care of me and have done what they can to earn my business and to keep it.

Steve

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
One of my friends asked me to post this message for him about his E350.

My car's extended warranty expires in mid-Feb. The car doesn't qualify for a MB warranty - 2008/66k. So they have a warranty but not a formal MB one.

For a 3yr, 36k w/ $200 deductible per repair - $3008

For a 2yr, 24k w/ $200 deductible per repair - $2461

I would like to contact another company but I don't have any experience with off-market so-to-speak warranty companies. I plan on contacting my insurance company too. Also, one of my best friends is a claims supervisor w/ GEICO and I have a call into him as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.