Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Turn Signal Not Working (help)

23K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
High guys, this will be my first post in this forum. I just picked up my '03 E500 Sport two weeks ago. 1 Malfunction saying left turn signal not working. I played with it and it worked. Now it's not working again. Played with it and it's still not working. Swapped the bulbs with the right side and it works. Put it back in the left, doesn't work. Anybody have any ideas what's wrong with my left turn signal?

Also all of a sudden I got a malfunction saying to reduce oil. Should I have some of the oil drained?

Thanks guys for your answers and concerns, it's greatly appreciated!

(Post 1) LOL

#2 ·
If the bulb from the other side works, just buy a new bulb to the left even if the left bulb worked on the right side.

I would check the engine oil with a dipstick, which you probably have to buy (a tool). There were some problems with the oil level sensor on early cars, you might have to change the sensor.

#6 ·
Your car either has a dipstick or it doesn't, there isn't a tool that you need to buy. The only dipstick you would have to purchase is for the transmission. What is it that you are playing with that you got the turn signal to work? It sounds like you may need a turn signal stalk. If not, there is a bulletin out that says to replace the bulb sockets in the front turn signal housing. The new part has ground straps that you bolt to the engine bay. You can check if you need it by pulling out the turn signal sockets and look for burn marks on the terminals.

#8 ·
Well I bought a new bulb and put it in. Still doesn't work. So I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll probably bring it in and have it checked. If anyone has any ideas. Please let me know. Thanks
This may be due to inadequate electrical contact between the turn signal bulb socket and the headlamp housing. PM your email address and I will send a copy of the DTB (includes repair procedure) for which you will need repair kit part #A2038260282.

Turn Signal out? - MBWorld.org Forums

#5 ·
I understood you swapped the bulbs first and it worked. It really sounds like an issue at the bulb connector then. It could have been a "soon to be failing bulb" that still worked on the other side (within the tolerances of the bulb warning system) but if you had a new, proper bulb, it must be a contact issue.

#9 ·
I just came from a guy who works on Mercedes Benzes and he got the turn signal to work. The problem was the contacts. Apparently the plastic melted and covered the contacts so it wouldn't meet. So he was able to bend the plastic and put the contact back in place. Now I can signal and others infront of me can see my intentions LOL. Thanks guys, really appreciate it. No oil malfunction again as of right now. I'll keep you guys posted!

#14 ·
Hello all - Newbie here. Found this string (and the forum) after a Google search on the MB turn signal retrofit part from the dealership. They weren't too helpful when I asked to see the DTB. Can anyone post or e-mail the pdf instructions? I already bought the (2) socket holders for my '02 C240, but cannot figure out how to install them.

Since I have some electrical gremlins (80K miles), I'm afraid to search the forum to see what others have experienced.

Thanks for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.