headlamp replacement - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4Matic, 107K miles as of Jan 2009
headlamp replacement

All - my mother & brother in law each own an E320 W211. I own a W210. My BIL asked me to check under the hood as he couldn't quite reach the driver's side headlamp bulb which is currently out, and of course neither could I. These are halogens, not HID, FYI. In my W210, all you have to do is unhook the circular plastic cover and swap out bulbs. The W211 is less straightforward, seems to require moving a bunch of things out of the way. Is there a DIY for this anywhere? Did a couple searches but the forum doesn't let you search for "H7", which I believe is the type of bulb being used. Thanks!

RIP: 2000 E430 4Matic fully loaded - totaled 12/9/2006
fju2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 07 E350 4Matic w/P1 & Sport Pkg
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post
The W211 is less straightforward, seems to require moving a bunch of things out of the way.
The only item to be moved is the coolant overflow on the driver's side. One screw...don't drop the screw's plastic receiver. The reservoir moves just enough to then reach down and turn the black plastic disc to enter the headlight cavity.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4Matic, 107K miles as of Jan 2009
thanks spn!

since i don't have access to the car until sunday, can you also let me know if I have to move anything like the air intake on the passenger side - of course, i'm going to replace in pairs.
fju2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post
since i don't have access to the car until sunday, can you also let me know if I have to move anything like the air intake on the passenger side
Nope. (Wasn't an issue for me, and I've been in there two different times.)
SPNJHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: E500
There is a rubber cover on the rear of the headlight assembly. It has a plastic ring and a turn counter clockwise (looking forward) will release the lock. The bulb is also released by a clockwise twist to release the tang. It is an easy replacement. I changed both bulbs in 15 minutes. I recommend change both headlight bulbs at the same time as they have the same amount of usage. I also used an upgrade bulb that still meets the MB spec for the system for more light.

H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
vettdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
I have those too, but what do you think about the
"Phillips Xtreme Power with Up to 80% more light than standard halogen bulbs."
Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNJHockey View Post
I have those too, but what do you think about the
"Phillips Xtreme Power with Up to 80% more light than standard halogen bulbs."

The wattage of the bulb is important. This determines the current through the circuit. If the wattage is too high the car could have a problem delivering enough power without a failure. So look closely. The ones I listed meet the power requirments, give more light and don't cause problems. If you use some other bulb it could work,, just be sure to check the owners manual for power / wattage on the origional bulb and make sure the replacement does not exceed max wattage.

Also be extremely careful not to tough the glass with bare hands. The oil from your hands will cause the bulb to burn out. I used latex gloves to keep my bulbs free of oil.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
I used latex gloves to keep my bulbs free of oil.
So did I...the first time though, they got eaten up pretty badly, since I didn't know what I was doing!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2009
Quote:
There is a rubber cover on the rear of the headlight assembly. It has a plastic ring and a turn counter clockwise (looking forward) will release the lock. The bulb is also released by a clockwise twist to release the tang. It is an easy replacement. I changed both bulbs in 15 minutes. I recommend change both headlight bulbs at the same time as they have the same amount of usage. I also used an upgrade bulb that still meets the MB spec for the system for more light.

the white plastic lock ring won't budge on my 190e.what is the secret to getting it off? i've tried everything.on my 300e it came off easy.it seems like it is stuck.i turned it with lots of force but won't budge! please advise,anybody.help!
steve89z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve89z View Post
the white plastic lock ring won't budge on my 190e.what is the secret to getting it off? i've tried everything.on my 300e it came off easy.it seems like it is stuck.i turned it with lots of force but won't budge! please advise,anybody.help!
Just a suggestion. Plastic will sometimes stick. I found WD40 sprayed on it will free it up and not damage most plastic. You might try spraying some on plastic you can get to and verify it doesn't harm the plastic. They spray it around the ring as a penetrating oil. Let it sit overnight then try.

At least it is a shot and better than hammer and punch.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class