BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 04 E320 4Matic, 87 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E-Brake system problems

I own an '04 E320 4Matic which naturally has the electronic braking system. While I know that M-B had so many problems with this Not Ready for Prime Time system that they discontinued installing it, I have had no problems with mine.

Yet, anyway. I would like to know (1)what is the nature of the problems that have occurred? (2)should I assume that, sooner or later I will have problems too? and (3)is M-B "stepping up" to stand behind their products or just throwing owners to the wolves if problems develop after the warranty period? My warranty expires in March 08 and I have heard nothing regarding extensions to cover the apparently-problematic brake system.

Perhaps I should ask another question: (4) Given all the difficulties, should I consider getting rid of the car before the warranty expires and I either have to protect myself with an extended warranty, or face "taking a bath" financially if I have to pay for repairs myself -- repairs that may prove impermanent.

Love to have some views. As I said the brakes have been fine; in fact the whole car has been perfect over 35K miles, confounding the model's rep for glitches.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: '71 Pinto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
SBC

As long your dealer applied all applicable SBC recalls to your vehicle (VIN checked through VMI) you should be fine. The warranty on the SBC hydraulic unit (pump) only has been extended to 10 years / unlimited mileage in addition to the original 4 years / 50,000 miles.

Recall 2004050014 OCT04 Programming SBC hydraulic unit
Recall 2005070007 MAY06 Inspect SBC hydraulic unit, replace as directed
Recall 2005110001 MAY06 Installation of ground wires & bracket to SBC wiring harness
#3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your reply. Yes, all recalls have been applied.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 06:12 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E320 Sedan
Don't believe all that you think you know... Mercedes discontinued the system because people objected to the racket, not because they were so unreliable.

AFAIK, there have been premature wear issues with the pump and a bad ground wire. The wear issues have been covered with a 10 year warranty on the pump. The ground wire was replaced in a recall.

End of problems... Enjoy your car.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1990 420SEL, 1979 450SEL, 1973 450SE, 2003 C320S, 2005 C230WZ, 2005 E320W Avantgarde
I want to go on record by saying that I love SBC. I love it. I feel that Mercedes-Benz dealers failed to inform customers prior to purchasing or taking delivery of their vehicles the purpose and proper function of SBC.

For example:
Dear Mr. Customer,
Prior to purchasing this fine vehicle you should know that your Mercedes-Benz is equipped with a state of the art braking system not available on any other make of car for any price in the world. This braking system is available only on our very most technically advanced vehicles. These vehicles include you new E-Class, the McLaren Mercedes, the SL Roadster, The CLS, and the Maybach.

Here are some helpful hints you should know.

1. SBC does not operate like a normal hydraulic brake system.
2. SBC has a brake pedal travel MUCH shorter than normal brakes.
3. SBC has a brake pedal effort that is CONSTANT over the short pedal travel.
4. SBC has a sophisticated pump which you will hear, and feel operating. This is normal.

5. SBC has several new icons that may display in the dash alerting you to various abnormalities that may occur in the system.
a. brake overtemp
b. reduced braking power drive to workshop
etc.

Your SBC System under normal circumstances has no mechanical linkage between the brake pedal, and the brake master cylinder of the vehicle. This is called a brake by wire system. Your brake pedal is actually attached to a simulator that provides a degree of braking effort. The electronic signal sent by the position of the pedal is then distributed to the brakes at an instantaneous speed, and then the braking energy is produced by the vehicle and distributed to the wheels.

Here are the benefits.

1.You will not feel any ABS brake vibration since that is a hydraulic function.
2. Brake pedal effort is consistent and compensates for any brake fade.
3. You do not need to push the brake pedal very far to stop your vehicle.
4. You do not need to push the brake pedal very hard to stop the vehicle.
5. Braking power is distributed to each wheel with proportion to steering angle.

These are just a few of the many benefits of your new system. Here are some tips on how to become accustomed to the new system.

1. The brakes may feel grabby at first. Use a light and consistent pedal pressure. The vehicle will stop the based on your pedal pressure input, so the system automatically relieves pressure to stop smoothly with your constant pedal pressure.

2. The pressure you put on the pedal determines the rate of deceleration. The system will stop smoothly based on this pressure.

3. Even a very slight pressure will begin to stop the vehicle, so low speed stopping is very easy.

4. The slight pressure will begin to stop the car, even at very high speeds.

5. The only vibration you will feel through the pedal is the SBC pump. This may come on at initial pedal application, or after the pedal is released.

So if Mercedes did something like this to really show people the proper use, benefit and sophistication of the SBC system, I feel it may instead be loved by most.

Last edited by BARW126420SEL; 04-21-2007 at 04:42 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
M-b Sbc

Thank you for the excellent information. I feel better!
#7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 12:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARW126420SEL

Here are the benefits.

1.You will not feel any ABS brake vibration since that is a hydraulic function.
2. Brake pedal effort is consistent and compensates for any brake fade.
3. You do not need to push the brake pedal very far to stop your vehicle.
4. You do not need to push the brake pedal very hard to stop the vehicle.
5. Braking power is distributed to each wheel with proportion to steering angle.
Sorry, these are not "the" benefits, this is just a partial list of the benefits :-)

You also get SBC Hold and SBC auto brake at stop-and-go traffic (also on the sedan if you wish).

These features have now been implemented on non-SBC cars but first appeared with SBC (where they come almost for free but are quite complicated on the "normal" brakes).
#8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
I have not experienced the "SBC Hold" or "SBC auto brake at stop-and-go traffic". I have an 05' E320. I don't see either of these listed in the manual. Am I missing something ?
#9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins6111
I have not experienced the "SBC Hold" or "SBC auto brake at stop-and-go traffic". I have an 05' E320. I don't see either of these listed in the manual. Am I missing something ?
Perhaps, perhaps not. My recollection is that this SBC hold was intended to be part of the SBC system from day one but they had to postpone the introduction for the S211. Now I'm not sure if any of the W211 cars have had it officially from the factory but it looks like it can be activated by SDS on the W211 cars too, like on mine.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins6111
Yes, look in the "driving systems" section of the manual and you will find it.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.