Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone from 2002 W210 to 2007 W211?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mkaresh 
#1 ·
:) I am probably getting a new car this year and I currently drive a 2002 W210 Special Edition sports package. Love the car but now that I just clocked 80k miles on it the up keep is expensive when little things go wrong. Last year alone I spent about $2200 on various things. Sensors, fuel pump, fuel filter and just wear and tear stuff. Car is mint and looks awesome and runs great when everything is attended to. I was thinking of getting a Lexus GS350 2007 because it is great looking car (well the sports edition) and reliable. I have been driving MB since 1992 and this is my 3 third one. I was so frustrated by quality issues and reliability going down that I seriously thought about the Lexus but they didn't have the one I wanted (wait list). Now I hear the quality on the GS is questionable as far as dash rattles and some electronic gizmos. The only reason for me not buy a new MB is reliability. I do lots of driving and this is my daily driver. I was wondering if any of you could tell me if you notice a difference with the 2007 MB's showing improved quality? How about reliability? Do you think they put that back into the car? I am also wondering if I should just pay to keep my car in good running condition until the new 2009 body style comes out versus getting a 2007 and having an old body style in a few years? I heard there has been issues with the 7 speed tranny? I feel like I should wait and get another MB. Any feed back would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
debbibaron said:
:) I am probably getting a new car this year and I currently drive a 2002 W210 Special Edition sports package. Love the car but now that I just clocked 80k miles on it the up keep is expensive when little things go wrong. Last year alone I spent about $2200 on various things. Sensors, fuel pump, fuel filter and just wear and tear stuff. Car is mint and looks awesome and runs great when everything is attended to. I was thinking of getting a Lexus GS350 2007 because it is great looking car (well the sports edition) and reliable. I have been driving MB since 1992 and this is my 3 third one. I was so frustrated by quality issues and reliability going down that I seriously thought about the Lexus but they didn't have the one I wanted (wait list). Now I hear the quality on the GS is questionable as far as dash rattles and some electronic gizmos. The only reason for me not buy a new MB is reliability. I do lots of driving and this is my daily driver. I was wondering if any of you could tell me if you notice a difference with the 2007 MB's showing improved quality? How about reliability? Do you think they put that back into the car? I am also wondering if I should just pay to keep my car in good running condition until the new 2009 body style comes out versus getting a 2007 and having an old body style in a few years? I heard there has been issues with the 7 speed tranny? I feel like I should wait and get another MB. Any feed back would be appreciated! :thumbsup:
I don't think you would really care about the body style anyway, right?
After all, you are driving 2002 W210, you didn't wait for W211 to come out back then, why do you want to wait now?

Buy it, drive it, and enjoy it~

#3 ·
Actually I didn't buy the 2003 because there are always some kind of first year issues so I wanted to wait. I am more interested in reliability being put back into the car. Of course MB seems to always add new extra's when they change body styles and I have seen pics of the 2009 on another board and it looked really awesome. I might actually just get the 2007 or later this year 2008 and just keep my car until I do. The last thing I want to do is switch to a Lexus GS and have issues which I hear they are having. At least with MB I know what to expect and I don't want any regrets buying another brand on impulse. Really, I want a bit more reliability from MB. So far I hear good things about the 2007. :cool:

#4 ·
I seem to always end up w/ "FIRST YEAR" of MB, and they don't give me any problem at all. (knock wood)
Since 1990 W124-C (300CE), 1997 W210 (E420), and 2003 W211 (E320).

I am sure Lexus is extremely reliable, but it lacks character.
Camry also come w/ the same V6 275hp engine, if "reliability" is your only concern.

It is all about how you feel about it... NOPE! I am not talking about showing off.
Many people buy Rolex and seems everyone can spot it and know it is great watch. But some people buy Patek Philipps just to "feel" it and appreciate it.

#9 ·
The W211s are a significant improvement over the W210, as every new Mercedes is vis a vis its predecessor.

Of course, you'll be suffering more than $2200/year in depreciation on the new car, and in any event $2000/yr is not an out of line number for Mercedes maintenance.

#10 ·
I'm working on providing much better reliability information that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Not collecting data on any year of the E-Class yet, though, because not enough cars are enrolled yet.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Among the cars I do have data on, I'm seeing great initial reliability from the new 3-Series, and just so-so reliability from the Infiniti M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.