Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2004 E500 Torque

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  drivbiwire 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I just bought a 2004 E500 this weekend. When I was test driving it, I didn't feel the torque that I had expected from 302 horses. The sales rep told me that in the 'comfort' mode it has more low end torque than in the 'sport' mode. I didn't really feel the difference...but, is this true, and why so??

Thanks.

#2 ·
Salesman is nuts.

In comfort mode, you're not starting off in 1st gear and there's a lower rev limit.

Purpose of comfort mode is to limit torque and power for winter, i.e. snow driving.

Good to test in sport to verify everything works.

#4 ·
E500 Torque

Hi there everyone. Newbie to the site. I have a 2003 E500 and have owned it for about a year. I notice that you are talking about the settings and the impact they have.

Am I getting the point here? Are you saying that setting the suspension at different settings makes the car more or less powerful? I was unaware of this. Or are you talking about the S/W switch.

Sorry to sound a thicky

#5 ·
MIL141 said:
Hi there everyone. Newbie to the site. I have a 2003 E500 and have owned it for about a year. I notice that you are talking about the settings and the impact they have.

Am I getting the point here? Are you saying that setting the suspension at different settings makes the car more or less powerful? I was unaware of this. Or are you talking about the S/W switch.

Sorry to sound a thicky
I guess the dealer claimed for slk99 that the S/W (what ever it read for each car) switch setting would affect the engine torque, which is NOT the case.

The Winter setting would affect the rear wheel torque at startup as it would start with the second gear while in the Summer (may it be Sports versus Comfort or what ever) position it would start with first gear. Also the rpm for gear changes would get affected (like mentioned above) but the engine torque would not get limited in any case.

So it is good news that you have not observed any engine torque changes :)

The suspension switch should not affect the tranny or the engine on an E, on the W221 those two are actually combined to one key.

#6 ·
SLK99 said:
Hey all,

I just bought a 2004 E500 this weekend. When I was test driving it, I didn't feel the torque that I had expected from 302 horses. The sales rep told me that in the 'comfort' mode it has more low end torque than in the 'sport' mode. I didn't really feel the difference...but, is this true, and why so??
BS, You probably want to feel the torque at acceleration, at kick down, then, kick down overrides other modes, push the pedal to the floor and you should shot away rapidly regardless of the C or S modes.

The torque is related to the rpm, you get maximum from around 2400 rmps, at US crusing speed it will be slower than that, perhaps 1800 or so.

#8 ·
"Comfort" mode means fewer shifts and more liesurely acceleration because you start off in 2nd gear. It's got nothing to do with the suspension. "Sport" mode means you start off in 1st gear as normal.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies...just so you all know, when I say 'comfort' vs. 'sport' mode, I am not talking about the suspension...I am talking about the transmission. So if comfort is the same as winter, it makes sense that sport should be the more responsive mode given it starts in 1st gear.

Did I get it right?

#10 ·
Can't say I've ever noticed a torque deficiency in this engine. Top-end power and refinement, maybe, but in my experience it has a strong midrange.

Have your impressions changed at all now that you own the car and have had more opportunities to drive it?

If you remain dissatisfied, there's always the 2007 E550. The new V8 is sweet.

#12 ·
Actually, I have driven a CDI. And, yes, it pulls like a friggin' freight train.

Problem there, at least for me, is that the handling isn't as tight as in the gas-powered car. (I tend to be very picky concerning handling.) Just the extra weight of the engine, or is the suspension tuning softer? (Or is the difference all in my head?)

My full review of the E320 CDI and E350:

Compare Prices and Read Reviews on 2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class at Epinions.com

Under pros I have "effortless thrust."

#13 ·
I don't want this to turn into a jump on the band wagon CPO sucks discussion, but I can't help but tell you the truth that I'm not in receipt of my car yet...so I can't tell you if I still feel the torque issue. I bought the car CPO 1.5 weeks ago, but asked them to do an interior clean (some stains the seat belts of all things) and to get a couple of dings/scratches out. Well, now almost 2 weeks later, I still don't have my car because they say they have to repaint a part of the lower quarter panel to get a scratch out and that the MBZ approved body shop is over-scheduled. I'm hoping to get my car this Friday. I hope this does not turn into a horror story...the dealership I bought from seems reputable.

#14 ·
I have to say I am impressed!

Other car makers will sell Certified cars with parts missing off the engine and lower portions of the car. Sometimes all this means is the dealer detailed it and is selling it with an increased mark-up.

If MB is in fact repairing cosmetic issues to insure your satisfaction, I have to applaud them!

I would suggest going over the car VERY carefully. Look over any work done on the car. Review all the previous maintenace records and history.

Best of luck to you!
DB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.