Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Needing advise on smooth idle, All nosie problem solved

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ThomasC 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and own a pre-owned 2003 E500. Am truly grateful for the informative messages posted on this board. Just have the following noise problems fixed at the dealer:

1. Front end "diesel engine" noise at acceleration: replacing motor mounts (2)does work (was suspecting valve lifters but I was clearly wrong).

2. Front "clunking" sound over bumps: replacing the lower ball joints and is fixed.

3. Ceiling panorama roof squeaking: dealer said it needs "lubricating", easy fix done at the dealer, despite my regular mechanic said the "racks" should'nt be lubed (he is probably right as it might catch dirt), but the dealer was talking about lubricating the soft roof panel roller unit (I did not witness how the job was done so don't ask me how). Very glad the noise is now completely gone.

The car rides great now without those anoying noises. Items 1 and 2 were informatively advised on this board, but not item 3 (as the myth seems to be that buying the panorama roof option you need to live with some "noise", This simply is not TRUE).

Only one very small issue left that I am seeking advise: at idle, the V8 gives out very minor and irregular "shakes", but not misfiring. Is it normal? My other ride is an BMW 728 V6 engine. At idle it stands as stable as a rock although the engine sound is discernable and not as quiet as the E500.

I already replaced all plugs and power cables, flushed engine and cleaned the injectors. All of no avail. Was told by my mechanic that idle speed (increasing the rpms at idle) on E500 cannot be adjusted. The last suspect seems to be either replacing the coil or having the compression reading on each cylinder checked. Any one having experienced such minor shakes and can share? especially owners that drove away a brand new one from the dealer's lot? Many thanks in advance.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.