Service indicator reset - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 06 E320 CDI Flint Grey
Service indicator reset

I have an 06 CDI that just turned 13k and had my service done by my local mechanic after hunting down M1 0w40 and oem filters. [I intend to do most of the servicing myself or by my local mechanic as I refuse to pay inflated MB service rates.]

I want to reset my service indicator. Manual says to call cust. service to reset indicator. When I called, they say the only way to reset indicator is to bring it to the dealer and have it hooked up to the computer to reset. Obviously this partially defeats my purpose of doing it locally, and seems like a ploy to get folks to use MB for routine maintenance.

Is there another way to accomplish this short of bringing it to the dealer? Thanks for your help.
Mark
markbaumel@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbaumel@yahoo.com
I have an 06 CDI that just turned 13k and had my service done by my local mechanic after hunting down M1 0w40 and oem filters. [I intend to do most of the servicing myself or by my local mechanic as I refuse to pay inflated MB service rates.]

I want to reset my service indicator. Manual says to call cust. service to reset indicator. When I called, they say the only way to reset indicator is to bring it to the dealer and have it hooked up to the computer to reset. Obviously this partially defeats my purpose of doing it locally, and seems like a ploy to get folks to use MB for routine maintenance.

Is there another way to accomplish this short of bringing it to the dealer? Thanks for your help.
Mark
From what I've heard from several people on this and another forum with two of them being MB dealer techs is that the FSS customer access was stopped for the MY2006 cars -- you will need to go to the dealer to have this done unless someone else here has additional insight with their 2006 to help you.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Find a "local mechanic" that knows the answer.

Really--unless something like FSS is an exception--a manufacturer cannot withhold service information from independent mechanics.

Whether independent mechanic chooses to invest in required tools is another matter.

Nevertheless, your solutions are either

qualified and equipped independent mechanic
dealer
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 07 E63 AMG Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
Find a "local mechanic" that knows the answer.

Really--unless something like FSS is an exception--a manufacturer cannot withhold service information from independent mechanics.

Whether independent mechanic chooses to invest in required tools is another matter.

Nevertheless, your solutions are either

qualified and equipped independent mechanic
dealer
Kent is right. I had my 05 flashed a month ago and i can no longer get into the service settings. MB wants this procedure for themselves. The equipment is horribly overpriced and if I were an Indy that worked on only a few MB's (04 - on) I'd pass.
The G36 is the fastest and hardest to parallel park!
lear31a driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E320 Sedan
Actually, there is another alternative - ignore the startup messages. They go away in a few seconds....
cagalbraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagalbraith
Actually, there is another alternative - ignore the startup messages. They go away in a few seconds....

Thanks. That's the only solution I'm left with, I guess. Call me anal, but it's just a little annoying to have that needlessly flash at start-up.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E320 Sedan
I wonder if MB isn't counting on that? :-0
cagalbraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. That's the only solution I'm left with, I guess. Call me anal, but it's just a little annoying to have that needlessly flash at start-up.

Whatever you choose to do, save all your receipts so you can prove that the work was done at the proper time/mileage while your car is under factory warranty. You may want to write up a letter outlining the work you did and have it notarized.

Regards,
paul...
Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
Whatever you choose to do, save all your receipts so you can prove that the work was done at the proper time/mileage while your car is under factory warranty. You may want to write up a letter outlining the work you did and have it notarized.

Regards,
paul...

Absolutely. Thanks for the suggestion.

This being my first Benz, I'm surprised that MB would be that rigorous in trying to get out of warranty work. Guess I better hold off on biodiesel until after
48mo/50k!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely. Thanks for the suggestion.

This being my first Benz, I'm surprised that MB would be that rigorous in trying to get out of warranty work. Guess I better hold off on biodiesel until after
48mo/50k!!!
MB is not trying to get out of warranty work, and like Lear mentioned, MB is trying to get all the work. Also, Kent's advice is good too, since many indy's have the Star Diags system that will reset your FSS and probably charge you less $$ than a dealer.

Regards,
paul...

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class