Centre console cup-holder - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2003 E200K Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegel58
Take a look at this link - looks like the same one as on ebay and only £31

http://shop.mercedes-benzofmiltonkey...a75030accdba09
Cool - just ordered one so will wait and see .

Thanks for the link - I had been looking all over the web for somewhere where these were sold .
shanel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 99CLK320
I didn't see this issue addressed: If you spill liquid on your auto trans lever and enough liquid gets down under it will short out a shifter selonoid that costs several hundred bucks to replace at the dealer. I'm trying to see if I can get a standard trans leather shift boot as a preventive measure. email me if you have addressed this issue. TIA!
dlbehrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2003 E200K Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegel58
Take a look at this link - looks like the same one as on ebay and only £31

Arrived this morning - fitted in perfectly - excellent - now what do I do with the old "bin"
shanel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Hello

My wife's 2003 E500 cup holder is broken. It will come out and unfold if you pull it up. It will not fold and go back down all the way so you can't close the little door that covers it up. Am I making any sense?

How do you fix this thing?

Certainly appreciate any help or assistance.

Many thanks

Al Stamps
astamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2004 E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astamps View Post
Hello

My wife's 2003 E500 cup holder is broken. It will come out and unfold if you pull it up. It will not fold and go back down all the way so you can't close the little door that covers it up. Am I making any sense?

How do you fix this thing?

Certainly appreciate any help or assistance.

Many thanks

Al Stamps
Take a look at the picture of the cupholder in the MB of Milton Keynes link above. See the oval fingerhole at the back? Pull up on that on your cupholder and it should come out. (It should require moderate force to break it free of the detents; if it comes out easily, it may not have been put in correctly and didn't go down all the way, which could be why you can't close the door.)

Once it's out you can play with it and may be able to see what the problem is. If you have to pull it up manually to unfold it, it may have a weak spring as Stanford 77 mentioned in Post #5. If that's the case you can get a new spring from the hardware store to replace it, you don't need to buy a new cupholder.
dang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

E320 Cup Holder

Dang2

Many thanks for your message. However, I can't seem to find the link you refer to.

Looking at the holder in the car, where would the button be located. Toward the front of the car or the back? Left side or right side.

Am getting up in the years and eyes not quite what they used to be.

Many, many thanks.

Al Stamps
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astamps View Post
Dang2

Many thanks for your message. However, I can't seem to find the link you refer to.

Looking at the holder in the car, where would the button be located. Toward the front of the car or the back? Left side or right side.

Am getting up in the years and eyes not quite what they used to be.

Many, many thanks.

Al Stamps
The link was in Stegel58's post that was quoted in the post just above yours. Anyway, the link is

It isn't a button you're looking for, it's a hole you can get a couple of fingers into and pull up on. It's at the back. You'll see it immediately if you look at the link, or the cupholder itself if it's open.

My first thought was to refer you to an old thread on another forum. But when I went to get the link all the pictures were missing so I decided it probably wouldn't help much. Oddly enough, just this morning someone resurrected the thread and complained about the missing pictures, so maybe they'll repost them. You might want to check. It's at

Little $3 project ...................... Fix your cup holder. - MBWorld.org Forums

No need to apologize about old eyes; I've got those, too.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

E320 Cup Holder

Dang2

Many thanks again for the help. I seem to be practically helpless up to now.

At any rate, I got the cupholder out of the console. Under it I found a cylinder shaped copper spring that was loose.

I can see where this spring must fit in the holder but not what the "T" end of it hooks to. Most likely will have to order a new cupholder from Mercedes.

You have been of great assistance to me and I certainly appreciate everything.

Al Stamps
Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Al,

I had to take my cupholder out to see what you were talking about. The "T" end of the spring evidently hooks into the the slot near the top on the right side, but I'm not sure how you would get it there. If you could fish a loop of thread through the slot and hook it onto the "T" end of the spring you might be able to pull it up and through the slot that way.

If that doesn't work, as I recall the original poster in the other forum thread dispensed with the flat spring entirely. He simply got an ordinary spiral compression spring, maybe 1/2" diameter by 4" long, and dropped it into the right side of the cavity where the flat spring was. He put one loop of the spring around the bar at the bottom that goes crossways left to right, just to hold it in place, and let the other end bear on the upper mechanism and push it up. That was his $3 solution.

Since you have the cupholder out, you could take it to the hardware store and try different springs until you find one that fits and has the proper compression. It shouldn't need a very heavy spring. If you can get it to work in the store it should work in the car. It may not be as elegant as the original, but no one else will know the difference.

Dan
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 1994/E320/About 150,000 miles
Send a message via AIM to tenebras_Rex
Hey anyone got info on if anyone made a better after market cup hold for this car?
tenebras_Rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class