Brake pad replace....Official MB workshop without STAR DIAGNOSE - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Thanks Paul
DetroitE500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitE500
Thanks Paul
You won't be thanking me when you find out that you have to look at every page at that site before you find that tool. The special tool listing is not in any kind of order to make searching easy!

Good luck...

Regards,
paul....
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
You mean this tool: 00 589 52 43 00 Resetting Device?

DB
drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: My Benz: 04 S430
Okay folks.. I don't know who ahs done what before here, BUT.
YOu can change the brakes and rotor on the W211 Without all of that resetting stuff the WIS spells out.
All you do, is treat the car like it's normal,,. Meaning..

Colapse the caliper before you remove the pads like you would do any other car..
then..
As far as the SBC goes, it does nothing unless you open, the drivers door. OR, have the darn thing turned on when you're doing the brakes.. ( don't do that..)
SO, do one brake at a time, one wheel off the ground at a time, ( No need to jaack up the whole car, that's crazy and unsafe.., and do not open the door until you have placed the new pads and caliper over the rotor then you're safe.
That's how I did it ( twice ).. No issues at all.. Car stops on the same dime it used too. so there with the brake/rotor job...
My04230k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My04230k
Okay folks.. I don't know who ahs done what before here, BUT.
YOu can change the brakes and rotor on the W211 Without all of that resetting stuff the WIS spells out.
All you do, is treat the car like it's normal,,. Meaning..

Colapse the caliper before you remove the pads like you would do any other car..
then..
As far as the SBC goes, it does nothing unless you open, the drivers door. OR, have the darn thing turned on when you're doing the brakes.. ( don't do that..)
SO, do one brake at a time, one wheel off the ground at a time, ( No need to jaack up the whole car, that's crazy and unsafe.., and do not open the door until you have placed the new pads and caliper over the rotor then you're safe.
That's how I did it ( twice ).. No issues at all.. Car stops on the same dime it used too. so there with the brake/rotor job...
That'e essentially what I did when I had to change the rear pads/rotors. I disconnected the SBC as an extra safety precaution, but that was probably not needed.

Regards,
paul....
Old 09-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2006
I changes both front and rear brake rotors and pads recently, and I just disconnected the SBC connector and workd on one wheel at a time. Now I have new pads and rotors on all four wheels, not to mention I saved bunch of money by doing it on my own.
jjjkkk12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 07 E63 AMG Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
That'e essentially what I did when I had to change the rear pads/rotors. I disconnected the SBC as an extra safety precaution, but that was probably not needed.

Regards,
paul....
I did the same as Paul, and did so while changing the front and rears. One wheel at a time, rotors replaced as well. I also upgraded the brake pads to a diiferent brand/design.

I replaced the rotors since they were at minimum thickness and decisided to spend the extra bucks for slotted/drilled units.
The G36 is the fastest and hardest to parallel park!
lear31a driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Hey Lear,

How's things with your new ride? Did you get all that sorted out with MB? Hope things are well with you.....

Regards,
Paul....
Old 12-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Removing error message after pad change

Thanks for the great tips guys, my rear brake pad change went smoothly on my E320. I used the SBC disable/enable procedure since I had the car up on a lift. The car is breaking great but the error message is still present on the dash display. Is there a way to reset that or does that have to be done using the STAR DIAG? I ensured the sensor was inserted into the new pads correctly so I expected the error message to simply disappear. Any ideas?
Biddyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
X72
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E 320
My father and I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors on an 03 E320 and we followed the procedure of having all 4 wheels in the air without disconnecting the SBC plug.

The spinning the rear tire and front tire caused the wheel being spun to be braked, the rear and front blinkers to blink, and then we heard the initialization procedure (hydraulic pressure was applied to each brake snugging the pad up to the rotor).

I agree that this was not necessary. The rear brake pad sensor was not tripped (by 1 mm.), so we re-ued the old sensor and did not have to clear the brake worn light. Other pads were more worn than the pad with the sensor, so it was definitely time to replace them.
X72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class