Combination filter vs dust filter at 26K service - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: SL550
Combination filter vs dust filter at 26K service

I am coming up on the 26000 mile mark on my E500 some time in March. I looked over the scheduled services which are 3, 4, 12, and 14 to confirm that they are feasible for a DIYer to tackle.

Service 3 is replacement of the combination filter. That seems easy enough.

Service 4 is replacement of the dust filter. Where is the dust filter? I thought it was integrated into the combination filter. Can anyone shed some light on this dust filter?

Service 12 is just a routine oil change.

Service 14 is a comprehensive inspection of the car. The only thing that seems to require special tools is the battery condition check. My local dealer is offering a free battery check through 31-Mar.

Service 9 is a 2-year service and does not apply to me since I am hitting 26K in less than a year.
fgwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

RE: Combination filter vs dust filter at 26K service

I just saw this recent post by samhmbz. Is the combination filter in the E320/E350 and the dust filter in the E500 with the 4 zone A/C system?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1245273
Old 02-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!

fgwinn,
According to the W211 service sheet pulled off the mercedestechstore.com site http://www.mercedestechstore.com, (as shown on FSS items on the MFD)

For Service 3: Combination filter replacement (E320 only) at 30K miles/48km/2 years.

For Service 4: Dust filter replacement (E500 only) at same interval as combo filter.

It's my guess that the dust filter for an E500 is probably in the same spot as the E320 combo filter -- open hood, look in upper left hand corner. don't over-tighten the plastic nut!

For Service 6: Activated Charcoal filter replacement (E500 only) at 60K miles/96km/5 years.

I replaced the combo filter in my '03 E320 and it's made up of two layers pleated cloth (or synthetic fiber), sandwiching powdered charcoal.

For Service 14, you can find some auto parts stores which also do free battery testing. Stay away from the places that do battery testing by the "half-load" method. Most places use the Midtronics testers which measure conductance of the battery by inserting a low voltage AC signal through the battery. These are passive testers as opposed to the "half-load" testers. The Midtronics 717 is a special unit made for MB, but the handy 500XL, which many parts stores are using does the job -- the 717 had extra features for recording warranty claims by the MB dealer. Check out the Midtronics site: http://www.midtronics.com. Navigate from the home page into "Transportation Applications" to "Auto/Light truck". You'll see all the baterry testers. A nice 500XL is in the $650 range -- too much for a weekend mechanic like me!!

For Service 9, you need to basically replace the brake fluid. Historically, this was a DIY job, but with the SBC needing to be exercised while bleeding the brakes, this is a dealer/indy job (about 1 hr labor). I found a Taiwan company that sells a unit that interfaces to the SBC to allow someone to replace brakes/fluid but they wanted $500 + shipping for the unit -- another "too much $$$ for a weekend mechanic like me!" item.

Regards,
Paul
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

paulv - Thanks for the insight on the filters and battery testers. The E500 owner's manual calls for the dust filter replacement at 26000 miles and the the charcoal filter at 65000 miles. The 30000 mile interval you reference was probably based upon the older 10000 mile Service A & B intervals. Now that the service interval is 13000 miles MB probably changed the filter replacement schedule to correspond to the new intervals. I could probably wait to change the dust filter until 30000 without any problems. What's your take on this?

I think my dealer runs the free battery test promo every few months. I think there may be a DIY test that allows you to get an estimate of the battery condition. Something along the lines of leave the headlights on for 60 seconds with the engine off, go to the secret service menu and if the voltage reads below 12.2v take the car to the dealer for a real test.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!

That service sheet at the mercedestechstore site had a date of 2002 in the pdf file name. I checked it against my service booklet that came with the car and they agree -- my service booklet was for 2003 E320/500. Anyway, I agree with you and would also follow my owner's/service manual that came with the car.

Regarding the quick battery test, I don't know what the no-load voltage should be on an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery -- if it's like a regular wet acid battery whose no-load is 12.6 volts. All I know about AGM features is that they don't freeze in temperatures that would freeze a wet acid car battery (and they are very expensive!). Also, a replacement battery that will work (dimensions and electrical ratings) is made by Odessey.

If someone is offering a free battery test using a Midtronics tester, take advantage of it.

Regards,
Paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2007
Angry E 500 owner

I recently took my car to Chandler Mercedes for an under warranty 30k mile service. The dealership was a day and a 260 mile roundtrip from my home. When I returned, I noticed that the dealership did not make any service entry in my Service Booklet, in fact there was not one entry in the entire Booklet! I noticed that Service #3 and #4 was due, but #3 was omitted. Inquiry to the
my service advisor provided the answer. "The computer did not tell us to change the combination filter listed Service 8384 in my Booklet. I asked my advisor to check with the Service Manager, and in a week gave me the same answer. Having been to the same dealer before for the SBC brake recall what the letter said would take 2 hours, it ended up taking two days. No one offered to cover my motel or meals.
Getting back to the filter, they said they would install it if I would return to the dealership. I stated that I was not willing to spend another day and meals to accommodate their error, and to send me the filter and the $35 installation charge so I could have a local MBZ mechanic install it. They said they would send the filter, but not the check. I then emailed MBZ Customer Service in Montvale, NJ and got the usual runaround. I wrote the dearlership owner United Auto Group with my complaint, and the Service Manager phoned me and as I read directly out of the E-Class (211) Service Booklet that came with the car, he said that Service 3 was for the E-320 only. I saw no qualification to that effect. Nevertheless, the manager sounded a bit perturbed that United Auto had contacted him and I thought that was the end of it until a letter from UAG arrived that contained wrong information, but said the cabin filter would be sent to me via overnight delivery. I am still waiting.
nottooez is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class