E500 Oil Change Concerns - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 07 E63 AMG Black on Black
Original message deleted.

Last edited by lear31a driver; 11-27-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: delete
lear31a driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2008 R350, 2004 C230 / 2004 E500 (Gone)
Send a message via MSN to allen_7
RE: E500 Oil Change Concerns

I believe it's just easier and take less time to siphon the oil out rather than to drain it for the stealer. Not necessarily good for the car, don'te believe what the service manager tells you.

Less time = more money since the stealer doesn't charge by the minutes. If they can do 4 oil changes per hour by the same mechanic and charge 1 full hours per car, why not.

allen_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: Honda Odyssey Touring 2006 ML350 (GONE) 2006 E350 4MATIC (love it)

Quote:
allen_7 - 1/27/2006 4:34 PM

I believe it's just easier and take less time to siphon the oil out rather than to drain it for the stealer. Not necessarily good for the car, don'te believe what the service manager tells you.

Less time = more money since the stealer doesn't charge by the minutes. If they can do 4 oil changes per hour by the same mechanic and charge 1 full hours per car, why not.
Oil change i believe at MB is around $200, and any of the quick lube places it's like $20, and I have seen them actually drail all oil. Not to sound like a cheap person, but I would rahter pay 20 and have it drained. Mybe I am wrong on the price of MB oil change. Also, isnt Oil part of the A or B service?

2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
2006 E350 Wagon 4MATIC (Sold)
2006 ML2540 4MATIC (Sold)
endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
X72
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E 320

lear31a driver, I wouldn't worry about the suction method. The car is designed to have the oil sucked out. I do my own oil changes. The oil pan and the dipstick tube are designed for this.

Do a search on this topic in this and other MB forums. I remember reading posts about someone doing the suction method versus the drain method and measuring how much oil was removed; they were very close (if anything, the suction method removed more oil). I believe the suction method would likely remove slightly more oil based on my observations of the oil pan shape.

I do the drain method because I like getting under the car, not because I think I can get any more oil out of the car.

It is simple economics. If they are only going to do an oil change, they can suck out the oil and change the oil filter all from the top. If you are going to have a "B" service done on the car, the car is placed on the lift and the oil drained out (the mechanic doesn't have to chase down the suction machine).
See my post about the used oil analysis done at approximately 12,000 miles and you will also see that Mercedes long drain intervals also are not crazy recommendations.
William
2003 E320
X72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
X72
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E 320

"Quicky" lube is not going to do your oil change for $20 unless you use oil not recommended by Mercedes and you don't change the oil filter. The cheapest I have seen a MB fleece oil filter is about $15 online. 8.5 quarts of syntetic oil that meets 229.5 will currently cost you approximately $55. I stockpiled a stash for 2 oil changes at slightly lower prices (rebates for one, pre-Katrina prices for another) so my cost to do an oil change myself was about $56 total.

One more thing. The oil pan is aluminum. If quickly lube overtorques the drain plug, you are gong to be paying all the money you saved (and then some) to repair or replace the damaged oil pan.
William
2003 E320
X72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: SL550
Oil suction vs draining

The first time I changed the oil in my E500 I used a Mityvac to evacuate the oil thru the dipstick tube and I also removed the drain plug. I did not slip the plastic tube to the bottom of dipstick, I simply attached the largest diameter tube supplied with the Mityvac at the top and the dipstick became and extension of this syphon tube. Using this method I drained about 150ml additional oil thru the drain plug. The Mityvac unit is marked in 1 liter increments. The total amount of oil extracted was about 8.0 liters.

On subsequent oil changes I vacuumed out the first seven liters using the approach described above. Then I slipped a smaller diameter tube to the bottom of the dipstick tube to get the last liter. This seems to be faster than using the smaller diameter tube for all eight liters. I am confident that I can get a full eight liters extracted with the Mityvac.

A problem with DIY oil draining on the E500 is that the drain plug is near the front of the engine. So if you drive the car onto ramps (rather than keep the car level), this pretty much precludes draining all the oil from engine.

On my SLK350 when I did the suction vs draining comparison, I doubt if I got more than 5ml additional oil thru the drain plug.

Quote:
X72 - 1/28/2006 9:10 AM

Do a search on this topic in this and other MB forums. I remember reading posts about someone doing the suction method versus the drain method and measuring how much oil was removed; they were very close (if anything, the suction method removed more oil). I believe the suction method would likely remove slightly more oil based on my observations of the oil pan shape.
fgwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!

Quote:
X72 - 1/28/2006 9:14 AM

..... If quickly lube overtorques the drain plug, ........
William, I believe you're being redundant here -- I've heard plenty of stories regarding all the fast lube shops overtorquing everything -- I wouldn't bring my snowblower (or a lawnmower where you live!) to one of those places, let alone my car!!

Regards,
Paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
lear31a driver - 1/27/2006 1:39 PM

.... I am an A/P (aircraft airframe and powerplant)mechanic ....
I have a question for you since you're an A&P master. Years ago (early '70s) I was watching an A&P guy working on a small single engine plane. I noticed that the spark plugs had several ground electrodes. Realizing that these engines are magneto sparked I asked the guy about the plugs. He told me that these engines use a very high octane gas with plenty of lead to coat the valves so they don't burn up in the presence of straight exhaust pipes (no back pressure). Since there's so much lead, it would be easy to foul the ground electrodes so there are several.

Now I see this design from Bosch for cars which tells me that someone is full of baloney -- my guess is that it's Bosch. My MB's engine is nothing like a Lycoming or Continental. Your expertise please.......

Regards,
Paul...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.

Never had any oil change related problem with any of my MB's and the dealer I use sucks the old oil out. I also use suction on my boat for changes and after 2200 hours (thats 22 changes) Never a problem and thats with oil analysis and 35 qts per engine for each change. May be a tiny amt of oil left in but thats of no consequence.
Are you a Lear driver or fixer?? I am typed in the Lear, since 1973 and have flown 23's, 24's 25's and 35A's. have owned 3 35A's, one of them twice. s/n's 097, 272, and 348.
sosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

lear31a driver,

Thanks for the spark plug info -- I always knew that the four prong ground was a marketing idea from Bosch but I wanted to hear it from an expert.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class