Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

REPLACEMENT BRAKE PADS..DON,T GET RIPED OFF

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  paulv 
#1 ·
Ok Guys
I did the brake job as illustrated by the photos in onther forum.

This forum will not allow me to post the link.

Please E-mail me at leslierushforth@aol.com
Subject..... mercedes brakes

It took me one hour to do all four corners.

I HAVE HAD NO WARNING ON THE ON BOARD SERVICE COMPUTER TO SUGEST A BRAKE PROBLEM.

I lifted the hood then I pressed the hood retainers back into there locked postion then disconected the harness on the pump.

I then closed all doors, windows ,sunroof and left the car UNLOCKED AND THEN PUT THE KEY AWAY FROM MY BODY AS NOT ACTIVATE ACCIDENTLY THE CARS SYSTEM.

My mileage was 24,000 and noticed all eight pads were around 75% worn.

I bought original MB pads here in the U.K.costing £98 ($170) thats with trade discount and the sensors were included in the box.....surprise!.

BE VERY CAREFULL ......:

THE CENSORS ON THE FRONTS ARE NOT THE SAME FOR BOTH SIDES.
You will notice drilled holes in the pads ..........Take notice of this as the sensors are differant in size to fit the the holes.

I did notice that one sensor on one side of the car was cut with normal pad wear (thus telling the onboard sys service computer).I guess to calculate the next service period.The other side sensor was un-cut.

There is only one sensor on the rears.

The job was streight foreward as to replacing any other brake pads.

I then pulled the hood release handle as to release the retainers to allow the hood to be droped.

NOW HERE COMES THE HEART ATTACK.

I started the car the instrument panel lit up like a Christmas tree telling me brake failure with sirens sounding.

I then switched the engine off took out the key THEN PUMPED THE BRAKE PEDAL FOR ONE MINUTE AS TO AS TO BRING THE PADS CLOSER TO THE ROTARS......HEY-PRESTO.......JOB DONE.....NO PROBLEMS.

I was quoted £300 (Thats over $500) by my local MB to replace all four corners.........this is hell of a big saving.

Off course I could have saved more on the none genuine MB pads by as much of 50%.

Hope this tells you guys as how not to get riped off.

Love my E320 CDI

Les.......Chesterfield U.K.

See less See more
#2 ·
Les,
Great info!!!! Thanks for taking the challenge. I have an '03 E320 and been doing alot of thinking about replacing brakes someday. I was only brave enough to disconnect the wire harnes/connector off the SBC unit and replacing it, and making sure the brakes still worked. I really can't believe that the only way to disable the braking system is with the Star Diag box.

Thanks again.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.