Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

The 05's cd is actually a DVD unit.

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ALLIANCEW211 
#1 ·
If anyone is interested in music, the disk player on the 05's is actually a DVD player and will play back mp3's. It makes the cd changer redundant.

I do NOT know what else the DVD can do but I suspect it can do more.

#2 ·
Hey there i was wondering is this true? does it really play dvd?? i have 2005 model with the entertainment package but it doesn't have a navi so will it still play?? it does play mp3 i tried it and it works real good. lemme know i do want to try it out. thanx

#3 ·
Spartan - 8/17/2004 11:24 AM

If anyone is interested in music, the disk player on the 05's is actually a DVD player and will play back mp3's. It makes the cd changer redundant.

I do NOT know what else the DVD can do but I suspect it can do more.
IF.. you have a Euro spec head unit, that is! The US comand head units are capable of playing SAT radio; the Euro head units are capable of playing DVD and can be ugraded to play MP3 as well...

#4 ·
As this is the same unit thats being fitted in the new SLK you may be very interested in the hidden menu that can be activated!

you never know what you might enable if you play around with it.

here's the thread i posted in the R171 forum.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1183273&posts=7&fid=27

#5 ·
another piece of the puzzle...

for those of you who find that you can change to the ECE setting, you will not simply be able to throw in a North American DVD as those are Region 1.

You will need to source a Region 2 DVD (europe) and use that for testing.

IF that works there is a way to change the entire system to Region 1. But it requires a friendly MB tech with the Star Diagnostic System.

our fellow R171 owner and member, Antony100 in the UK had a MB tech with SDS check through his system to see if there was a region-free setting (region 0), there was not but there were however all the other regions easily selectable!

A lot of ifs, i know, but you never know it might just work! You will of course lose SAT RADIO functionality as we dont have that in Europe.

I'll post further info into the SLK R171 forum as and when it surfaces.

#6 ·
Picking up my new e class on sept 4th. It has a standard cd player and cd changer. Will this play DVD's? I am not sure if it will be officially a 05 model. Are they all coming through as 05 models now? any way what's the difference[?]

#7 ·
no the 05's do not play DVD. i already tried. but you know what it does play mp3. yeah i have a 05 model and after i heard it plays mp3 i tried it out and i was really happy about it. but when i heard was gonna play dvd i got more happy so i went home to try it out. and when i did, i just got disappointed that it does not play. but you know what the car is the shit. i'm pretty sure you'll like it. i love mine.[:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.