Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need help: 1998 (Nov) E Class steering wheel & instrument pannel upgrade to 2000

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  E-Klasse 
#1 ·
Can anyone please tell me if I can change my plain steering wheel on my 1998 Nov. E240 Classic, to a 2000 model, that has the on wheel controls. It also looks much nicer with the nickel plated Mercedes sign, rather than the plain black one on the 1998 model wheel.

Also can I change the instrument pannel to the 2000 model? (by instrument pannel, I mean the object behind the steering wheel in which you can see the speedo, the tach, and all the other lights....sorry folks the correct name escapes me.)

Can this operation be done? Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

I would love any help possible. Thanks.

-John

#2 ·
Re: Need help: 1998 (Nov) E Class steering wheel & instrument pannel upgrade to 2000

Can anyone please tell me if I can change my plain steering wheel on my 1998 Nov. E240 Classic, to a 2000 model, that has the on wheel controls. It also looks much nicer with the nickel plated Mercedes sign, rather than the plain black one on the 1998 model wheel.

Also can I change the instrument pannel to the 2000 model? (by instrument pannel, I mean the object behind the steering wheel in which you can see the speedo, the tach, and all the other lights....sorry folks the correct name escapes me.)

-John
Yes It can be done! Please Contact Steve @ www.MBENZ.nl I Have seen him Do This Mod!

#3 ·
Re: Need help: 1998 (Nov) E Class steering wheel & instrument pannel upgrade to 2000

-John
If you want the steering wheel controls to work, you will NEED to change the instrument cluster to a 2000 model (the correct name is "kombi instrument").

There are several parts that are necessary for this conversion, and some rewiring work... as Mark mentioned, you should contact Steve (MBenzNL) as he will be able to get you the proper parts as well as perform the installation. His e-mail is s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com

-s-

#4 ·

I am planning the same thing to my 97 E50. I have all
the necessary wiring schematics and i think i've gained some knowledge how all those little things
are communicating with each other (using CAN bus).

There is a company, that actually does this conversion
for not that big charge, and i've even seen very
nice photo documentation on their page, but unfortunalety i've forgot its name. I will try to
recall.

Steering wheel and instrument cluster is a minimum
that You will need. Possibly one control module
(jacket tube CM?) that will convert switch signals
into CAN bus messages, since AFAIR, instrument cluster
does not have direct connection for these buttons.

Other thing that i'm not sure about is airbag -
i'm almost sure that complete wiring that goes
inside steering column and incorporates wiring
for buttons, airbag and horn signal will need
to be replaced. I wonder if newer airbags are
two stage or they are ignited in same manner as
the "old" airbags ?

Anyway, whole thing does not seem to include much
of engineering, provided that all proper components
are mated together.

-John

#5 ·
Good news so far

Excellent news so far folks, looks like this can be done.

No one has mentioned that it could not be done, so we are looking good. But the question is how?!?!!?

Mike, is what country is this company based in? By chance UK?

In any case, please let me know if you remember. Thanks!!!

John/98e240

#6 ·
Re: Good news so far

I'm digging more into this subject because
i'm very interested. I think that the page was
in English but as far as i can remember the
company was .DE-based.
I don't think that we need to pay them ;) but
this is just a proof that the whole thing is
doable.

AAa!! I forgot! In front of the building i'm working
i saw probably 93....95 SL that had steering wheel
and instrument cluster "transplanted" from
S-class probably. It looked a bit weird because
it did not fit the dash exactly, but this is just
another evidence that this have to work.

Excellent news so far folks, looks like this can be done.

No one has mentioned that it could not be done, so we are looking good. But the question is how?!?!!?

Mike, is what country is this company based in? By chance UK?

In any case, please let me know if you remember. Thanks!!!

John/98e240

#7 ·
I have a 2000 cluster that I would like to put in my 96 E-Class. I don't care to swap the...

I have a 2000 cluster that I would like to put in my 96 E-Class. I don't care to swap the airbag if there was a way to put the switches in the dash next to the hazard button or even on the right side of the cluster like the 96-99 cluster has them. Please post more when you get all of the information.

#8 ·
Re: Re: Need help: 1998 (Nov) E Class steering wheel & instrument pannel upgrade to 2000

the "old" airbags ?
You need steering wheel, airbag, instrument cluster, contact ring (spiral/spital), a bit of wire, the connector on the wiring harness, and possibly the wheel position sensor (if you have ESP).

There is some wiring to be done, but if you have the wiring schematic, there's no problem.

The buttons on the airbag do not connect directly to CANBUS. The connection through the new contact ring will need to be rewired.

The newer W210 airbags are NOT two-stage, they use the exact same connector as pre-update W210.

Without changing all of this, you cannot set the time on the cluster, so changing the instrument cluster by itself is not very useful unless you retrofit COMAND (which can update the time in the cluster). Still, the display in the center of the cluster will not be changeable without updating the airbag.

-s-

#9 ·
Re: Re: Re: Need help: 1998 (Nov) E Class steering wheel & instrument pannel upgrade to 20

Thanks for clearing out the airbag thing!
I do expect that there is some sort of
contact things (like rings with sliding contacts
or spiral cables) between system and buttons on
steering wheel, but my question is how they are
tied to the instrument cluster? I'm missing this
part of schematics, but on the fragment i have
(instrument cluster) there is no reference to
the buttons. So i suppose that they connect to
some other module. On the s class/new c class they
interface to jacket tube module. How is it on W210?

Regarding clock thing. As far as i understand, it
is set by a message containing current time from
a CAN bus. Question is, what device places time
information there, apart from mentioned COMAND unit?
How it is done on original setup?
As i was driving W203 with COMAND (and of course
new style instrument cluster plus multifunction wheel)
i do not recall if there is a direct method to set
the clock, like setup menu etc. I just dont remember
because time was always set correctly from GPS via
COMAND.

the "old" airbags ?
You need steering wheel, airbag, instrument cluster, contact ring (spiral/spital), a bit of wire, the connector on the wiring harness, and possibly the wheel position sensor (if you have ESP).

There is some wiring to be done, but if you have the wiring schematic, there's no problem.

The buttons on the airbag do not connect directly to CANBUS. The connection through the new contact ring will need to be rewired.

The newer W210 airbags are NOT two-stage, they use the exact same connector as pre-update W210.

Without changing all of this, you cannot set the time on the cluster, so changing the instrument cluster by itself is not very useful unless you retrofit COMAND (which can update the time in the cluster). Still, the display in the center of the cluster will not be changeable without updating the airbag.

-s-

#10 ·
Hi is there anyone in the UK that can do this job? I have all the parts from a 2001 E230 ? acciedent damaged car. I have Instrument cluster,steering wheel and Command centre. If i had schematics i would even attemp it myself. If anyone could help or point me in the right direction i would be most greatfull

E230 Elegence 1997.
Fully loaded

#11 ·

hello
sorry i got Your email (it was You?) but i had
too much work last days i will try to supply
you with all the materials i have.

Hi is there anyone in the UK that can do this job? I have all the parts from a 2001 E230 ? acciedent damaged car. I have Instrument cluster,steering wheel and Command centre. If i had schematics i would even attemp it myself. If anyone could help or point me in the right direction i would be most greatfull

E230 Elegence 1997.
Fully loaded

#12 ·
Wiring diagrams help needed

Thabks Mike. I was speaking to Mercedes Benz Birmingham UK today and they were no help at all. I asked them for schematics for Cluster and steering wheel and they said they could not supply, then they said they had tried and it could not be done. I then ordered the centre part for the Command unit and they said there was not such thing until i showed them the part on another AMG 55 2002 that they had there. But i have to put up with two types wheels on the dash board either end of the hazzard lights as they said it is not available any other way yet i see John's retrofit on his car does not have this. My interior No i belive is 201 (Walnut) do you know the proper part number for this?

Also mike i have part installed the cluster and Mult steering wheel along with the origanal cables. On the cluster i am left with about four wires doing nothing and on the steering wheel i conected the 2 wires for SRS and then tried to connect the horn ( 2 wires) to the remain 3 wires coming off the steering wheel which still leaves one wire doing bothing and the horn now works on one off the buttons on the multi function control????

To say the least i am lost until i can get my hands on some schematics. I can only asume that the 3 wires coming from the steering wheel must go to another unit first but i can't be sure. Any help Mike would be well appreciated.

MY car E230 Elegance 1997 Fully loaded

#13 ·
This is an update.I replace the old wiring from the Multi function wheel and Cluster wit...

This is an update.I replace the old wiring from the Multi function wheel and Cluster with the new wiring from an acciedent damaged car. I now have the computer working in conjunction with the multi function steering wheel,everything seems to be OK except i am left with four wires from the steering wheel Blue,Brown,Red with Blue Stripe and Red with white stripe.QUESTION does anyone know what they are and where they are meant to go? maybe the cluster? NEXT I have four wires from the cluster which origanate from the right hand plug at the rear of the Cluster the wires are:- Brown = Pin M1 = ?
Brown/Red Stripe = M2 = ? Blue/Grey Stripe = L6 = ?
and last one is Yellow = N1 = ?

Can anyone tell me what these are meant to do and where the should be connected.

Any help would be most grateful

If anyone wants help installing Wheel and Cluster i am quite happy to help as much as getting the computer working via the Multi Function wheel i.e set the time adjust lang,audio,radio,petrol consumption.

#14 ·
MF Steering Wheel

The 96 to 99 cluster connector that plugs in to the left socket as seen from the back has openings for a few more wires. The 2000+ connector has blue, yellow, and black wires added in these positions. They are the same as the wires on the contact ring in the steering column on a 2000+ multifuntion wheel. Will connecting these wires make the buttons on the wheel work with a 2000+ instrument cluster?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.