1999 E430 A/C issues - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W210 E50 AMG, E55 AMG
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes E430 Sport
1999 E430 A/C issues

Hi,

I did search the forum, but I did not come up with a similar issue to mine. My a/c compressor does not kick in. When I turn on the air, the magnetic clutch does not engage. the little res "EC" light on my climate controls stays lit anytime the climate control system is on. not sure if its an electrical issue, or an actual problem with the magnetic clutch. Does anyone have any ideas? Any info would be great.

Thanks
drfeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: Tercel
Did you recharge your freon? (or R134)

Check your AC hoses and fittings you may have a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeno View Post
Hi,

I did search the forum, but I did not come up with a similar issue to mine. My a/c compressor does not kick in. When I turn on the air, the magnetic clutch does not engage. the little res "EC" light on my climate controls stays lit anytime the climate control system is on. not sure if its an electrical issue, or an actual problem with the magnetic clutch. Does anyone have any ideas? Any info would be great.

Thanks
E55mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes E430 Sport
I had a can of R134 in my garage, and the first thing I tried was to add some refrigerant. I have one of those hoses that clips on to the A/C fitting on the car, and has a puncturing valve on the end where the canister of refrigerant goes. I know there was pressure is the system since when I hooked it up it released some pressure before I punctured the can top. None of the refrigerant appeared to go into the system ( I didn't hear anthing, can did not get cold, or lighter). I did try to turn the system on inside the car in case the compressor needed to be on in order for the refrigerant to be sucked in. But it looks like the issue is that the compressor is not starting. Are you saying that a lack of refrigerant in the system would cause the compressor not to start. I know there is pressure there, but not sure about how much refrig is in the system.
drfeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: Tercel
Do a search on the E-Class section. Which fitting did you use? Upper? Lower?
Plus, you need to have a proper pressure (?? psi) in order for the AC to work well.

There is a DIY over there.

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeno View Post
I had a can of R134 in my garage, and the first thing I tried was to add some refrigerant. I have one of those hoses that clips on to the A/C fitting on the car, and has a puncturing valve on the end where the canister of refrigerant goes. I know there was pressure is the system since when I hooked it up it released some pressure before I punctured the can top. None of the refrigerant appeared to go into the system ( I didn't hear anthing, can did not get cold, or lighter). I did try to turn the system on inside the car in case the compressor needed to be on in order for the refrigerant to be sucked in. But it looks like the issue is that the compressor is not starting. Are you saying that a lack of refrigerant in the system would cause the compressor not to start. I know there is pressure there, but not sure about how much refrig is in the system.
E55mocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W210 E50 AMG, E55 AMG