Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bluetooth Phones

9K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  grkmano 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 E55 is there anyway to use my cell phone with the speaker inside the car??

#3 ·
Tacjam said:
It's expensive but I use Argos Bluetooth adapter. Everything works, steering wheel controls, head unit dialing, the in car mic. The only thing I can't get to work is downloading my phone book on my Samsung I730. The install was easy because I had an old Star tac phone already installed. But all in all it works really well!

http://www.eiskits.com/
That is great info, Tacjam!

I've been seaching high and low for such a system, and always ran into a deadend. This solution looks perfect.
Do you just keep your phone in your pocket, or do you have it wired as well into the armrest?
Do you know if this will work easily if you don't have the old Startac phone installed?

#4 ·
Versace said:
I have a 2001 E55 is there anyway to use my cell phone with the speaker inside the car??
Tacjam has a great solution, but another way to do this is to replace your headunit with a Bluetooth one. Both Sony and Pioneer make such units I know.
Sony is the MEX-BT5000, and I think Pioneer is the 9800 (not sure exactly). Each of their websites has all the specific info.
The advantages are you can easily add Sirius or XM without a secondary unit, and with the Pioneer you get a better headunit (not sure about the Sony -- heard mixed reviews).
The disadvantages are you lose the OEM look and the steering wheel functionality.
Not sure the cost of the ARgos, but the Sony runs around $400 and the Pioneer $500, depending on where you buy.

One other solution to consider are the Parrot car kits. I don't think these work with the steering wheel controls, but they do use the car speakers for incoming(not sure about the mic). The plus to this system is that it is MB endorsed (MB dealers are installing this system at the dealerships for customers), so you could have the dealer install (if your car is in warranty, this is a good idea, if not, it doesn't matter).

#5 ·
r_liebo said:
One other solution to consider are the Parrot car kits. I don't think these work with the steering wheel controls, but they do use the car speakers for incoming(not sure about the mic). The plus to this system is that it is MB endorsed (MB dealers are installing this system at the dealerships for customers), so you could have the dealer install (if your car is in warranty, this is a good idea, if not, it doesn't matter).

Funny My other car has a Parrot CK3100, nice little unit...it won't download my phone book either.

#6 ·
BT Phone in 02 E55

I just had the phone system upgraded in my car. Works great, but expensive as hell!. We had the timeport phone. So upgrade the PSE (not sure what that stands for, but its the cable that connect the cradle to the factory harness/head unit), add a V60 phone cradle and the MB bluetooth puck (same price as aftermarket BT pucks). All told with the installation ~800-1000. Not sure if I would have done it....but my wife insisted. Now that its in, I think that it works great. We have the command system so you can dial by voice. You can see your phone book on the nav and in the cluster. Initiate, answer and end call though the steering wheel controls.

Pretty sweet....but pricy. The only caveat is that from what I have read the best bet is to use Motorola phones. It seems that other brands have issues with the phone book and call initiation with the steering wheel controls.

BTW we have moto razrs.

Good Luck

Mike

#8 ·
just curious and very intreasted how much does something like this cost ?

#9 ·
BNZUOVR said:
just curious and very intreasted how much does something like this cost ?
I got quoted about $1200 for this system. For me it wasn't worth it since I wanted Sat. Radio, and with that there is no way to using the steering wheel functions to change stations, so the benefit of the wheel functions is gone anyway.
Instead I switched headunits for less than half the cost.

#10 ·
I have the Pioneer 980-BT in my car. It looks much nicer than the factory deck, and the bluetooth functionality is awesome (phone stays in my pocket). Friends riding in my car can connect to it as a guest and use it too.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121228&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

I don't have steering wheel controls for the audio system, since my car's a 99. If you want steering wheel controls, there's a kit that can handle it for Hondas (not sure for MBs).

#11 · (Edited)
Tacjam said:
It's expensive but I use Argos Bluetooth adapter. Everything works, steering wheel controls, head unit dialing, the in car mic. The only thing I can't get to work is downloading my phone book on my Samsung I730. The install was easy because I had an old Star tac phone already installed. But all in all it works really well!

http://www.eiskits.com/
ohhh this looks tempting. i know my father and i are both on the phone constantly due to business. i would def be interested in this product. how much does it go for? i could do the install myself... i looked on their website, no list of pricing...
Anybody know what version bluetooth the Samsung T-509 is? been looking, no luck

Aj

#12 ·
I got the Argos for $699, been using it since August, no issues...easy to install too. Mine was really simple because my car was equipt with the old Star Tac phone system....but I still can't use my phone book! I think it's my phone (PDA phone) It won't download into my Parrat CK 3100 either. I like the Argos it's better than the parrat because I can use command to dial a number. On the Parrat CK3100 dialing a number without a phone is just simply a pain in the @ss!

#13 ·
BT in 02 E55

stoned M3 said:
Who sells the equipment you mentioned? Who did the install? Dealer?
Thanks
I had the dealer do the instal. The BT puck and the PSE are dealer parts. You can find the v60 cradles around. It was about a grand with the dealer install and buying the v60 cradle from them.

Mercedes V60 BT module(dealer)---$300
PSE(Q6820886/blue label)----------$257
V60 cradle(Ebay of course)---------$ 75

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1610800#post1610800

Phone is still working great. A few thing to note:

1. Can only see the first 100 phone numbers in the phonebook. That is the first 100 number that you have added to the phone book, not first 100 by alphabet.
2. Every once in a while the MB phone gets locked up in a loop and keeps trying to dial out. It seems to happen when my cell fails to get a signal when you initially dial out. My cell prompts me as to whether you want to re-dial or not. If you do not cancel at the cell phone or select re-dial the car keeps trying...with out actually initiating a new call. Very weird.

mike

#14 ·
Tacjam said:
I got the Argos for $699, been using it since August, no issues...easy to install too. Mine was really simple because my car was equipt with the old Star Tac phone system....but I still can't use my phone book! I think it's my phone (PDA phone) It won't download into my Parrat CK 3100 either. I like the Argos it's better than the parrat because I can use command to dial a number. On the Parrat CK3100 dialing a number without a phone is just simply a pain in the @ss!
ouch! 699!!! holy jeez, i thought it would be in the 400 range... ohh well. keep dialing by hand i guess.
thanks for the info Tacjam!
Aj

#15 ·
1 BAD BURB said:
ouch! 699!!! holy jeez, i thought it would be in the 400 range... ohh well. keep dialing by hand i guess.
thanks for the info Tacjam!
Aj
You can find the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT (the non premier version of mine, only difference is 1 year warranty only) online for around 350-400. You can download yours (and 3 other phone's) phonebooks directly into the deck and they're all isolated from each other. It allows for 2 guests as well with no phonebook functionality. It'll automatically pause your music, switch to the phone, and continue where it paused when u get back.

#16 ·
Rage2: that unit would work very well if it had a screen... i have a navi setup in my car... i don't want to replace that. guess my only option is the Argos kit...
thanks for the link of the Pioneer! it would be an awesome product if i had a regular stereo!
Aj

#17 ·
#18 ·
1 BAD BURB said:
Rage2: that unit would work very well if it had a screen... i have a navi setup in my car... i don't want to replace that. guess my only option is the Argos kit...
thanks for the link of the Pioneer! it would be an awesome product if i had a regular stereo!
Aj
Which navi do you have? A lot of the newer ones have bluetooth options (such as Pioneer's AVIC-Z1).

#19 ·
rage2 said:
You can find the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT (the non premier version of mine, only difference is 1 year warranty only) online for around 350-400. You can download yours (and 3 other phone's) phonebooks directly into the deck and they're all isolated from each other. It allows for 2 guests as well with no phonebook functionality. It'll automatically pause your music, switch to the phone, and continue where it paused when u get back.

rage2,

How did you run the microphone cable for your Pioneer unit? Have a picture of how it looks in your dash?

#20 ·
I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

The phone mic is clipped onto the driver's side visor, wire runs down behind the pillar, under the pedals and to the deck. None of my passengers can find the mic unless I show them where it is.

#22 ·
andrewSF said:
Rage2, thanks. Look forward to your pictures. Can I ask, how do you remove the pillar? I guess after doing that, you can just slip the wire under the roof lining by prying out a small section of lining at a time, right?
I didn't remove the pillar. I just pushed the wire where the liner meets the body and it slipped right in.

I'll get pictures up asap, recovering from guns and roses concert last night... 2 days no sleep :).

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.