Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 E Class Steering Wheel & Command Unit on My 97 E Class

6K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  husk 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I have just got the steering wheel (Burlwood/Leather) and the Command Unit (Navigation) from a 2002 E Class installed my 97 E Class. It is all factory wiring and now it is Fiber Optic system. All the functions on the steering wheel works as well. I work for a Mercedes Benz dealer and when I told the Technicans & shop Foremans no one could believe me. When they saw it they were totaly shocked. Guys I did not use any aftermarket parts. The only thing I have is (Alpine DVD Player) hooked up to the Command unit so that I can watch movies on the Navigation Screen also I have Mercedes Benz TV Tuner installed so now I have Fiber Optic CD Changer, TV, & DVD in my 97 E Class. The only thing I will be doing next is installing V60i phone. Anyone who is interested in getting the above please email me. I will be posting some more pictures later on this weekend. Think about it guys..

Thanks
[:p]

#2 ·
That;s really cool !!!!

Hey there,

That is totally awesome ! Appreciate if you could send me the step by step installation process as well as the part numbers for the Command System and the rest of the stuff. I would like to try to do exactly the thing as what you did.

gawd123456@hotmail.com

Anxiously anticipating your reply.

[:eek:)]

#3 ·
retrofit

Hello, i'm just in the process of doing the same thing to my 1997 e320, any info would be apreciated if you could email me with it. I was planing to modify my exsisting wiring and add a fiber optic to the back.

The only reason i'm doing it , is that i want a phone that will work with the comand.

One more question as you seem quite qualified, i bought a 2002 used Comand just to play around with, so i just plug-in connector A and B to see if it works, the radio and tape work fine but the screen remains black, is it normal since i'm missing all the other connector and the canbus signal is missing.

What did you do for the canbus in your 1997 e320.

Thanks very much for your help.

ERIC

#5 ·
I have all the MB parts used and also I have the TV Tuner hooked up. All the stuff is wo...

I have all the MB parts used and also I have the TV Tuner hooked up. All the stuff is working as if it was Factory Installed. E Mail me and I will give you all the information on how to do it and what you will need.

Thanks

#8 ·
Hey Guys, I have just got the steering wheel (Burlwood/Leather) and the Command Unit (Navigation) from a 2002 E Class installed my 97 E Class. It is all factory wiring and now it is Fiber Optic system. All the functions on the steering wheel works as well. I work for a Mercedes Benz dealer and when I told the Technicans & shop Foremans no one could believe me. When they saw it they were totaly shocked. Guys I did not use any aftermarket parts. The only thing I have is (Alpine DVD Player) hooked up to the Command unit so that I can watch movies on the Navigation Screen also I have Mercedes Benz TV Tuner installed so now I have Fiber Optic CD Changer, TV, & DVD in my 97 E Class. The only thing I will be doing next is installing V60i phone. Anyone who is interested in getting the above please email me. I will be posting some more pictures later on this weekend. Think about it guys..

Thanks
[:p]
Didnt Steve AKA MBENZ.nl do the Work?

#13 ·
Yes that screen is blank without other plugs in is normal. I have all the wires redone a...

Yes that screen is blank without other plugs in is normal. I have all the wires redone and all is working perfect. Did you see the picture that I have posted.

#14 ·
RE: 2002 E Class Steering Wheel & Command Unit on My 97 E Class

Guys

I want to install navigation "Mercedes Command Unit" in my 1997 E420 and was wondering if anyone could help me out. If anyone has a part list and information on how to do this please let me know.

Regards

#15 ·
RE: 2002 E Class Steering Wheel & Command Unit on My 97 E Class

What about retro-fitting a wood/leather steering wheel from a 1998 E320 on a 2000 E320? Would it fit without modifications?

#18 ·
If I read this correctly, he installed the navigation into his 97. does anybody have photos, the links are dead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.