BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2007 CLS 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
smartkey reprogram

i have heard you can reprogram a key from another mercedes to fit my 99 e320 but when contacting mercedes they say once a key is programed for a car it can only work in that one car.
is this true or is it just mercedes trying to get you to buy another key for $150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Its true. It sure is not possible to reprogram a 'already programmed' key There are s...

Its true. It sure is not possible to reprogram a 'already programmed' key

There are several keys perpetuating over and again on the web esp. ebay from the bauched buyers, silently selling it again... don't buy one. The laser cut key is 27 dollars and the electronic smart key is 120 dollars or there abouts. I bought mine from a guy named Jason at Sun motor cars in Camp Hill, Pa (Harrisburg area) and they were the cheapest in pricing at arounf 131 dollars or so. I have asked some metro dealers like in Wash DC, who asked for 178 dollars.. so there is a range even within the dealers. Call them armed with your vin nummber and ability to fax them your registration card as needed. the key will come preprgroammed and ready to work.

1999 E320, still trying to get it to good functional status.. long way to go.. additional smart keys, cd changer, mp3 player, may be NAV... or DVD..
#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
RE: smartkey reprogram

Of all the threads on E320 key issues, this is the one with most useful info.

I have one smart key, the one which operates locks, trunk, alarm, and starts the car. A month ago, this remote could no longer start my '99 E320 and yet it still operates the locks, trunk, and the alarm. I was forced to carry and use the emergency key to start the car. The dealer said that the smart key is simply bad and it has to be replaced for $200.
  • I opted to get more information first to understand just why does the remote suddenly and mysteriously no longer starts the car?[/*]
  • I did not replace the battery because the smart key operates the locks just fine.[/*]
  • Is there a procedure that I can follow to get my smart remote to start the car?[/*]
  • How long can I continue to use my emergency key? can it also fail to start the car at some point?[/*]
  • If I have to replace my smart remote, where (phone#)can I beat $200 dealer price? Do I have to purchase a replacement locally (Houston, TX)?[/*]
Thanks for reading this post
#4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others

The smart key is a real pain, and is covered by the warranty. My 01E Wag remote failed (the key would not stay in it) so they read the code and determined that this was #1 key which they ordered as a "repacement". It showed up a few days later unlocked the car but would not turn in the ignition. I was told to leave it in the ignition and it would register itself after two hours it would turn, start but not keep running. The roadside assistance guy said to leave it turned. Two hours later it started and ran but disabled the other remote which had been fine. To make the story short they ordered another remote but this not not a "replacement" but an "addtional" remote for the car. They told me to drop it off and a few hours later I got it back, both remotes and the emergency key working!
My service advisor claimed sometimes they screw up when they read the database at the center, its all tied to the vin), and have had to replace the entire computer and remotes and give the customer a loaner while they wait for the parts
#5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004

appreciate your comments. Are you suggesting that I insert the smart remote in the ignition fot two hours (turned or not) to see if it may reactivate?

#6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2003 E 320

its all in the way you ask the question... if you want to reprogram a key, yeah once they are coded, they are done. BUT you can ADD other keys to your car. the system in the E-class can handle 4-6 keys, so all you do is ask your dealership to ADD the key to the system, not replace an old key. i've talked with a guy in service at MB Laguna Niguel, and he said for me to just bring in my eBay key next time i'm in for service, and they'll add it to my system.

#7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2007
just called MB Laguna Niguel - they say Nope

According to michaeljacob's post, a MB Laguna Niguel's service tech said a key fob can be added to be recognized by the car, thus making it possible to buy a used fob off ebay and averting the high cost of buying it new through the dealership. I just called them, and they denied this, saying only a new key that is registered to the car's VIN will do. If you know a place that will ADD a key please let us know this would save a lot of people a lot of money!
#8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '05 c230 Kompressor Sport
Send a message via AIM to zoomie Send a message via Yahoo to zoomie
Yeah, no kidding. that would help tremendously. I think you would receive donations upwards of $20 each.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
No way, yes they can add a properly coded key, to your car. there are 24 combinations per car. There is no way an E-Bay remote will work, They can remove a lost remote, but if you find it, you are out of luck. A replacement will invalidate a previous one, an additional will do just that. Your mechanic should stick to oil changes!
#10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Cool Smart Keys have 3 functions, 1 u Can Not re-use

Smart keys on ebay are only worth the housing.
99 and on use "smartkey" three rails of eight codes = 24 elecronic keys. The manual keys unlock the doors glove compartment and trunk.
The electronic keys come from the vehicle prep center (DEPOT), not neccesarily from Germany. They used and available codes are kept in a data base by VIN #. A direct replacement wipes out its previous key and has to be ordered by reading the body computer, whereas a additional key adds one. Three codes were used, two for remotes and one for the emergency electronic key. If a key is replaced it is put in the ignition and untill it is synced the body module will talk to it. This presumes the proper initial code was programmed at the parts center, corresponding to VIN#. This could take up to 20 minutes before it turns, another 20 minuted it will start the car and keep running.

OBTW couver up your Vin Number tag!!!

B

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class