Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

E320 Unstable in Crosswind

3K views 7 replies 1 participant last post by  Guest (MBNZ) 
#1 ·
My 1999 E320 is all over the road in a crosswind. Can anyone recommend a fix for lack of stability at high speed (70-80mph)in even the most benign crosswinds?

#3 ·
The AMG body kit does virtually nothing for cross wind.<br>The car's aerodynamic properties come to play in <br>how it is able to cut through air in a straight line, <br>thus meaning, how the air goes above and below the car,<br>the front part of the AMG body kit brings the car slightly<br>lower than a car without. And as far as the side skirts,<br>they will not come into play in crosswinds!! Crosswinds<br>are hitting the vehicle on a flat plane, as stated in <br>Bernoulli's principle, in subsonic speeds, the speed of the <br>flow increases while pressure will decrease, but with the <br>vehicle being faced with non-equal pressure on a non-aerodynamic<br>surface (the sides of the vehicle) the car is then pulled back<br>and forth, thus resulting in the wobbling of the vehicle.<p>Save your money, don't listen to that last idiot. If you<br>need to verify, call a Mercedes-Benz tech. <p>My suggestions, is for you to stiffen your suspension so you don't <br>get the rocking, but your vehicle will still pull from side to side<br>in heavy crosswinds.<p>: if you have the money, shell out for the amg body kit. it does wonder to the e in windy situation. my '00 wagon was terribly unstable in crosswind until i updated with the '00 amg wagon kit. now there is no problem doing high speed even in crosswind.<p>

#4 ·
I don't think this is a "cross-wind problem," but . . .

. . . but the fast-ratio, light steering of the 210 cars. This leads to over-corrections. First I would raise the rear tire pressures 2 pounds over the fronts, which adds directional stability. With the original MXV$ tires, you can go to something like 36/38 pounds with little deterioration in ride. Secondly, I would try driving the car with just a few fingers on the wheel and not correcting for apparent drift. I think you will find that the car is more stable than you think and that you are upsetting it with steering input.<p>Finally, a lot of improvement can be had by replacing the original Michelin MXV4 tires, which track poorly. A good bet for high speed tracking, while maintaining low noise levels and comfort is the Yokoham AVS db. These will also provide much better adhesion and steering response than the original tires.

#5 ·
in response to bull***

why are u so angry?? calm down. i am just sharing my <br>my experience on my own wagon with the bodykit.<br>it is just an opinion whether you'll buy it or not<br>makes no difference to me. is it this what the<br>forum is all about. people sharing opinions. and<br>stop with the foul language. we're all sofisticated<br>users here...

#6 ·
Sophisticated?

Sorry for getting so upset, but I see so many people thinking that they are the expert from <br>engines to aerodynamics when in fact they have absolutely no experience in either. You're <br>right, what you shared was only an opinion, but to recommend for someone to shell out over <br>$1,000 dollars to correct a problem without any basis for your "OPINION" will only hurt <br>our board users! Also, if you are going to claim to be "sofisticated," please have the <br>decency to spell it correctly!<p>: why are u so angry?? calm down. i am just sharing my <br>my experience on my own wagon with the bodykit.<br>it is just an opinion whether you'll buy it or not<br>makes no difference to me. is it this what the<br>forum is all about. people sharing opinions. and<br>stop with the foul language. we're all sofisticated<br>users here...<p>

#7 ·
Re: I don't think this is a

I raised the tire pressure to 36lbs rearwhile maintaing 32lbs front. It helped the car track better. As to the tires, I had recently replaced the original worn-out Continentals with MXV4+ and that seemed to make the problem worse. Your comment on a light touch is true this is something I discovered some time ago. When originally reported the problem to the MB dealer they realigned and adjusted tire pressures with 32 rear and 30 front. After I complained gain they said that they have had the complaint on E-class cars, more prevalent with the V6 320 than the in-line, the diesel or the 430. The service manager said those engines were heavier and seemed to help the car track better.<p>

#8 ·
Re: I don't think this is a

Had same problem, fixed it with:<br> A) Quality 4 wheel alignment<br> B) New Tire (MX4)<br> C) Correct Air Pressure<br> D) Check bushings in rear suspension<br> <br> Most shops (including dealers) can't do a proper <br> 4 wheel alignment (even on american cars) - THis is where your problem probaly is occuring.<br> Good luck<br> <br> <br>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.