Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New to W210 - considering 2002 E320 Wagon 24k miles

11K views 80 replies 10 participants last post by  ch.1953 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I am a newcomer to the W210 section as in the past I was a W126 man and since then have continued to be a dedicated W140 fan.

But with the prospect of kids and dogs and living in a very remote region overseas, where there are no MB (or hardly any) Mechanics I may need something simpler for daily transportation...

For a while I looked at the Jaguar 2004 - 2006 Jaguar Xj, crazy as it sounds, but the reviews say it is bullet proof reliable. And I like quiet cars too - hence my W140s back with my family.

But I have found a last year model 2002 (I prefer last year model range cars) silver E320 Wagon Avantgarde, with only 24,000 miles.

So would you folks be kind enough to fill me in a bit? I've always loved the MB Wagons but never had one, and don't like the newer ones too much, as they seem, well crappily made by comparison to MB's designed before 1995, and the W210 (like the W140) was designed before the whole cost cutting thing. Am I right about that with W210?

So what am I getting into?

I assume the 2002 was the best model year for reliability?
What does Avantgarde mean?
After two W140's will I find it quiet and relaxing?
E320 - good engine for the W210 - any weak spots?
I know the 722.6 backwards (thanks MAVA)
24,000 miles - very good or too much sitting?

The pics indicate it is immaculate.

I just need a very, very reliable car, and I hate noise - hence W140 or the Jag XJ possibility - and yet I also see the 2002 E320 avantgarde Wagon has the nice double glazing windows like on my 1998 S600 and 1999 CL500, which sadly aren't here.

Any help for a W210 newbie would be very much appreciated.

Oh, I presume they fixed the AC evaporator issues by 2002?

Many thanks ladies and gents... :wink

See less See more
#2 ·
2003 was the last model year for the 210 wagon in the US.

My wagon has cheap tires which I hope is why the cargo area is one big resonance chamber. The experience has gotten old in short order but I can turn up the stereo and enjoy the trip. Pay close attention to that if a 140 is your benchmark.

It's more responsive and competent on the road than my '95 S420. Second gear start in a 722.3 is an anachronism compared to a 722.6 even in winter mode. It doesn't roll as much as any of my 126s or 140s.

Plastic is what plastic is. I don't mind plastic. I mind plastic made to look like wood and thankfully the 210 doesn't have any.

Oddly, the 210 third row doesn't fit adults as well as a 124 third row. If you're anything more than 5'5", your spine is a structural member in a 210 third row. Third row cup holders are standard in US 210s!

Sixto
83 300SD can be yours
98 E320s sedan and wagon

#3 ·
Avantgarde means its the sport model or the model that has a lot of options.

Also the W210, while it was designed in the early 90's, it is considered the first Mercedes that was made after cost cutting came into place. The early models 96-99 (pre-facelift) of the w210 have more problems than the 00-02 (post facelift) models. So its generally a good idea to get the later models, although there are still some problems with the later models that were also present in the early ones. Such as rust, dash cracking, seats fading and cracking quickly, and plastic and rubber getting hard and brittle etc.

The ride will be relaxing but not as comfortable as the w140 not even close. But its still a good cruising car. As for noise level, its not the most quiet car out there but its not the loudest either. You wont hear any wind noise. But you will hear some road noise and especially some rattling particularly if you hit a bump or when the road is messed up. Even with quiet tires, the road noise is present but not annoying, and its not even a problem if you turn the radio up. The low mileage may be a problem, but it may not. Its best to get a pre purchase inspection but if you dont make sure you take the car on a good test drive and make sure you look underneath the car before purchasing.

Also I am not aware of any W210 coming with double glazing for the windows. Blue windows does not mean it has double glazing. Its just a tint from the factory that reduces the entry of UV rays and it also blocks some heat.

#4 ·
Thank you for this, it is helpful and appreciated.

This car has the original Michelin Pilot Primacy tires on it, which I understand may not be the quietest.

Here is the video that made me think the W210 E Class Wagon avantgarde did have the W140 style double glazing windows? But there could be different model variations for different countries? :) go to 5' 00"

If I could get a decent, well kept 1999 W140 I would, but they are so rare nowadays and a bad W140 is a maintenance nightmare. I will go test drive the 2004 Jaguar XJ before I buy this E320 Wagon to see if it is much quieter as it is a very reliable car the 04 - 05 Jag. But my experience when I compared the Jags with the W140 left me reeling, and left me feeling people who like Jags have simply never been in a decent W140 S class.

#5 · (Edited)
These look good head on, but from the side it does not fill me with a great feeling...

Perhaps I have been spoiled with the cost no object W140's for too long

This W222 is mightily impressive in terms of safety

Equally interesting is the BMW 7 series from 2001 to 2008. It seems to do well on the side impact. Newer technology perhaps than the W210 and 140?

And an old Jag vs. a new Jag (admittedly very different tests)

I

#6 ·
i would be wary of any vehicle from that timeframe with 'original tires' ... regardless of the tread left, tires do not age and need to be replaced before they explode from rot. they just get brittle with that age.

Reactions: ch.1953
#7 ·
2002 E320 is not as comfortable or as quiet as W140. Nothing can come close except maybe W222 or W221/W222 Maybach, but those cars are on a completely different level.

There will be trade offs. You likely won't have as many creature comforts on the W210 that you would be used to in W140. E320 is more maneuverable and flexible, but that comes at cost.

M112 engine in E320 is pretty reliable, weak links are usually the valve cover gaskets seeping, EGR clogging every 100k, rear main seal leaking. All but the last are easy to recify. The rear main seal is a transmission out job, so it gets expensive real fast. Lots of people ignore it because the oil leak is not significant enough to warrant attention or work.

2002 W210 will still suffer under the common pitfalls of regular W210, as above posters have mentioned.

Also: I really do not consider the jag to be a reliable car at all. Safe, maybe. Quiet, maybe. Reliable? Not a chance in hell. Especially that model.

#8 ·
Ricardo,

Good purchase. Let me say "Great Purchase" at 24k Miles!!!! Even at 100k miles they are still new. These are rugid cars, Very reliable, and cheap to own. Easy to fix too.

I just ticked over to 200k miles this month. I bought mine at 100k miles. I have only put in about $700 in parts in those 100k miles. I "Haul Stuff " with mine. Those Hydraulic shocks get exercised a-lot.... See the pictures on this thread...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/2813474-e320-wagon-advice.html

I just ad fuel and go... My transmission/conductor plate are the originals, but I am waiting for the transmission to go boom!!! The transmission keeps on ticking. These 2000-2003 wagons are the best for longevity. At 200k I have no cracked dash or door cards, yet I use UV protectant sold at Napa Auto which is rated #2 here at Benz-world. I put that on once or twice a year. I will say the leather in these e-class is not as tolerant to the sun as they fade quicker, but tint all your windows, so the interior is protected.

A car with 24k this old. Change your coolant, thermostat, radiator drain valve, transmission connector, transmission fluid, trans filter, rear differential fluid, and cycle out the hydraulic fluid for the rear suspension. No heater tee here to deal with like in the W140....

Not a W140, but it is a great Mercedes vehicle.

Martin

#9 · (Edited)
Coming from you my friend, these are wise and appreciated words. Thank you!

I am going to test drive one tomorrow to see if i can stand how much less 140ish it is. (If anyone wants one for $3,900 obo let me know as that is the car I am looking at tomorrow - it looks immaculate that one, in Champagne with 100k miles. I'm very likely not buying the champagne one...)

So Martine, if I can't deal with the E320 noise - and that's not the MB car's fault it is my sensitivity to noise as you know - then I have these options lined up - 2003 BMW 745 LI 42k miles or 2004 BMW 525i Touring 52k miles (probably about the same noise as the E320 - but reviews say it is very quiet, and it is a newer model E61 as that range by BMW only started in '03 or '04) - or I may just by another W140 and ship my coupe... (I found another good M120!) BTW - THE AC on the 140 coupe IS AT LAST FIXED (or so I am told...)

But, as you understand, I have always loved the E320 Wagon - it's such a great all round car (although those side impact videos do scare me) - yet at 24,000 miles this is a very hard car to pass on. If I'm honest I prefer the looks and modern feel of the BMW rival in the 2004 E61 Touring, but I'm currently driving a new 3 series Beemer rental and it's kind of ho hum shit. Everyone else might say it's great, but it isn't, its modern "good-crap". But it is way better than any very modern C class I've been in by MB. (that's shit)

As for the Jag and reliability - yes, that is what I thought - but then you go read all the reviews on Edmunds on it, and 2004 and 2005 get like 4.9 out of 5 over and over and over again and never go wrong. Why? because it's really a Ford :) So I'll test drive one this weekend too and if I throw up, then we know its a Ford. :)

Thanks so much for your replies Martine and all. I think you are right Martine, that I should get it - especially at 24k miles. But that 2004 E61 looks tight! (and only 52,000 miles) The 2003 745Li is only 42,000 miles - OMG!

Let me do some test driving and report back!

(if anyone has any views on the E61 - let me know! or on the 2003 745 Li of similar vintage - sorry, for the off brand questions ;-)

#10 ·
Oh boy, you managed to take a look at a car thats worse than the jag... please, for the love of all thats holy, do not get that BMW 7 series. All E65, especially the first year 2003 -- were plagued with problems. Valvetronic, valve body, valve stems, alternator bracket seal, disintegrating cooling system, various oil leak....honestly, if you want to punish yourself, go for it. Even a first gen W220 is better than E65. Hell, first gen W221 with all of its problem is still better than E65.

#12 ·
Thank you - you may well be right on this. I did some detailed research on another forum about the 2003 E66 and this is what came back as needing attention *after* you buy it and *before* your drive it :) :wink

This would be my preventative list so far:-

- Valve seals
- Oil cooler seals
- valve cover gaskets
- coolant hoses
- coolant tank reservoir
- alternator bracket gasket
- guibo joint

and to definitely check the condition of:-

- Fibre optic loop
- Logic 7 Amp
- water pump
- catalytic converter

But you get what you pay for, a cheap 2003 7 series with 40,000 miles for $1,500 USD in immaculate condition is a steal and possibly safer than the 2002 E320 wagon.

And yes I agree, the i drive stands for infuriating... :)

So, as MAVA will be pleased it hear, it looks like I am now more likely to get the 24,000 mile E320 as life is too short and I don't have the 3k needed to do the preventative maintenance on that 7 series once I get it...

Is there anything else I should be aware of the E320 Wagon before I buy it?

(MAVA: - Stryker wants me to get an 04 or 05 ML instead ! But like the 7 series they are also pricier... One step at a time perhaps...)

#14 · (Edited)
Deplore and Martine,

Thank you both - and everyone who has written back - I think I will get the E320 then if I can still get it.

However, I will still get an E66 at some point as I really like them (and have personal needs I wont go into here why head safety and silence are key for me), but as I learned with the W140 research is everything and that will likely take me a year or so to find out exactly what one to get and who to do the "MAVA" work on it here!

Now that being said I already have some of the research done on the ML. As you know the need for an SUV here is real as bad weather often floods roads and brings down trees, so an SUV is in some ways a potential life saver here. What Stryker has told me so far is avoid 2000 - 2003. '04 and 05 are much better, and so are the AMG's - he says. My research also agrees with that.

So my conclusion is any decent MB is better and safer than no car or a cheap rental car here, and this is a great MB - 2002 M.Y. and 24,000 miles. And if I love it I keep it, if not it is either a great car to keep as a # 2 or to sell on as I find the actual car I really want.

And yes, no deer here... :grin - I would bring the CL but its better for USA I think... but if this E320 falls through I may still do just that, as it already has a new trannie and we did every thing else too - TT hose, cam oilers are now aluminum, all rear suspension gas been replaced etc.

Anyway, thanks again guys... - appreciated!

:wink:cool::nicethread::goojob:

#15 ·
ONE or TWO LAST QUESTIONS:-

- How cold and reliable is the AC on the 2002 M.Y. E320.

As you know Martine, I need very cold AC here... - and a wagon has a lot of glass...

Also, by 2002 was the evaporator 140 issue no longer a bug bear?

Cheers..!

#16 ·
Ricardo,

Yes yes.. the A/C

The A/C is great, but........... If you are not fit, got tooooo many hamberglers(you know what I mean) accompanying you where ever you go, yet you will always require more really cold air than the average Joe...

It is cold enough for me...

Now, James Sharp(member here and in the W140 section) out of Hot Garland Taxasss got into a W140 for that reason, yet he is of an advanced age of 85 or so he can tell you the W210 was not cold enough.

I think the 90's W210's had compressor issues here and there, but my W210 no issues on the A/C... I'm at 200k miles and all that A/C stuff works well.

Martin

#17 ·
I don't have an E320 but in my 2002 E55 which has the same A/C components, the A/C is pretty strong. I'm in Florida and so far I have not been disappointed in the A/C when temps are above 95F. It's much better than my mom's 2012 Honda civic.

No it does not have evap core problems. The only evap related issue that these cars develop is a failing evap temp sensor. But that's not really an issue. The other HVAC components are pretty reliable as well. My car still has the original A/C compressor with 128,XXX miles. Some cars may develop a failing sun sensor but it's very easy to replace and it's cheap.

#18 ·
Thank you very much for this illstplaya - it is appreciated.

Thank you also Martine: - are you saying the W140 has better AC? That might mind me to bring the CL500 after all. And Z168 has found me a great shop in LA to do a final pre-purchase inspection (and revival) on the CL500 so that we can get a list of exactly what still needs doing later today or tomorrow, now that I have fixed the Ac on it... But..., I suspect that is still a 6 month list worth about $5k :)

So would you folks tend to agree that a 2002 W210 with only 24,000 miles would tend to have stronger AC than say an 100,000 mile version; or conversely would sitting for so much of this car's life have weakened the Ac worse than driving it?

The inspection report - attached indicates the AC and everything else is great...

Please enjoy the attached pics of the car and let me know if you see anything that you think I should be aware of...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
I have done quite a bit more research and find this thread is more sobering.

It lists all these as common W210 problems, but my reading shows some of these were better by 2002:-

QUOTE from Post 5 from a guy who worked for MB - admittedly his was 2000 (or earlier?) and not a last year M.Y. of 2002:-

I bought my w210 Estate in 2000 and Worked for Mercedes so I saw ALL The Problems with them..

Harmonic Balancers
Motor Mounts (aren't these fluid filled??? - yikes - e.g. W220 /215- was it better by 2002?)
o 2 sensors
Cat converters (yes, I am concerned about that one - bu MB has warranty to 80k miles - no chance that still applies....?)
TRANSMISSIONS (well I know that is BS - duh! - just change the oil & filter and get a post 2000 - jeez)
Fuel Level sending units
Tail light bulb holders
A/C evap temp sensors
window regulators (come on, that's like complaining about shaving on an MB)
RUST (did anyone see any signs of rust on mine? - as I know these W210 rust like crap)
lower control arm bushings

My Wagon has been good..But all Cars have problems
The Wagon.Estate has ALL The problems of a sedan With the rear self level
Power steering pump..Dual stage..and the rear self level shocks

MAVA & Deplore - rear self level shocks - ARRRGGGH? Is that the same as the friggin W140 nightmare, or only if you have AWD as my wagon, if I get it this week, does NOT have AWD.

But still a 2002 and at 24,000 miles is best MY and great low miles...?

So....

This seems much better:-
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1365504-best-year-w210.html

QUOTES:-

"The features that came with the facelift makes those models both more problematic and more desirable (for most people). That said, most of the wrinkles were ironed out by the 01 and 02 model years, so -- all other things being equal -- those would be the best years of the 210."

and

"We just bought an '02 E320 -- I looked/researched for six months prior and determined I only wanted an '01-02, as I think MB generally gets things right by the last two model years of any series"

and

"I have the 2001 wagon, it is correct to say one of the best MB without any problem in the 1st 100K. But generic problem like leaked transmission control seal, window regulator are the only problem which that applied to all MB in those year. However, later yrs productions has improved once the problem area is corrected. We do not see the transmission seal to be anymore problem in the w210."

and

"I have a 2001 E320 wagon and could not be happier with it. It has around 120k miles and it runs flawlessly. The only repairs I have done are a crankshaft position sensor and a brake light switch. Both really easy DIY's and inexpensive."

and, from another thread:-

"I have a 2002 E320 with 95K miles on it. Except for a few front end bushings or whatever and two cats (1 under warranty) , it has been maintenance free (less oil changes, etc). I replaced the plugs myself last month in about 2 hours and about $50 for plugs. I fixed the pixels myself for about $35 and a few hours. I will try to put in new motor mounts later this month (about $150 online). It still runs and rides great. It's a very comfortable car."

and,

"And I have never had any of the most frequent problems we discuss here namely window regulators, blower motor regulator, rusty spring perches, brake light switch, corroded rear light assemblies, crankshaft position sensor (you get the idea)."

Several listers seem to complain about minor things like lights and window regulators - really!! (Obviously they've never owned a w140.)

I can't see too much excessively bad being said about the 2002 MY, except these - or were some or all of them fixed by 2002?

1. - Rattly catalytic converters may well still be an issue,
2. - RUST (was it better by 2001 or 2002?),
3. - instrument cluster pixels,
4. - Heater blower regulator (that same unit went out in my 1999 CL500 - was it fixed by 2002?)
5. - Crankshaft position sensor
6. - MAF sensor (but cheap and easy, right?) - (is that the same as an Air flow meter?)
7. - Spring perches
8. - Transmission electrical connector (MAVA, was that fixed by 2002 or does it still wick up?)

This post from the thread below shows even a 2002 can occasionally be a nightmare:-

Quote:-
"Hey guys, just wanted to update you. I'm flying from Dallas to Alabama tomorrow a.m. to pick up a three-owner 2002 E320 Special Edition (silver/silver) with 77k. The price is just at $10k. She has the 17" five-holers, which I love. The car is for my wife.

Have the MB VMI sheet - and understand why the first owner got rid of the car after three years.... Get this: 13 warranty services under 30k in three years -- 2!! steering racks; cam position sensor; control arm mounts, one cat, flexible srv. (FSS) system?, axle seal ring, pinon bearing drive?, upstream 02 sensor, brake light switch,CD changer) -- and again at 61k (light engine work? and CSI clean up.

Also spoke to the shop that maintained it under a third-party service warranty and got the skinny, verifying that all services were done on schedule. Also spoke to the third owner (the car is at a car lot) who loved the car and said it never gave him a lick of trouble. Don't think he considers replacing two window regulators, a cooling fan (wobbly shaft), front rotors and pads, and the ACC control unit "trouble" . He bought the car from a good friend of theirs (2nd owner) -- so I think I've got a pretty good sense of the history."

JEEZ - but in several hours of my reading and researching W210 that appears to be the only truly bad post I can see on a M.Y. 2002.

And - Ah ha - I just found this possibly very helpful opinion on RUST from a moderator on another forum comparing '00 to '02:-

"My 2000 E320 was a total disaster with rust issues and I practically gave the car away. I found an 02 for my wife and after being in this region all it's life it has zero rust on it. Mercedes did something to these cars in the last years of production to address the rust issues. All said I love the 210's even more than the many 124's I have owned. My 211 seems to be even better yet but time will tell."

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/261191-considering-coming-back-best-w210-e320.html

So, gents - MAVA, Deplore, Illstplaya & Co. - any final comments or advice...

I have to buy the Wagon by Thursday ET or lose it. The fun of auctions.

And many thanks again!

#22 ·
I can't see too much excessively bad being said about the 2002 MY, except these - or were some or all of them fixed by 2002?

1. - Rattly catalytic converters may well still be an issue,
2. - RUST (was it better by 2001 or 2002?),
3. - instrument cluster pixels,
4. - Heater blower regulator (that same unit went out in my 1999 CL500 - was it fixed by 2002?)
5. - Crankshaft position sensor
6. - MAF sensor (but cheap and easy, right?) - (is that the same as an Air flow meter?)
7. - Spring perches
8. - Transmission electrical connector (MAVA, was that fixed by 2002 or does it still wick up?)

And many thanks again!
1. Yes, still common issue.
2. No, rust is still an issue. However if the car was stored in dry climate, shouldn't have any issue. Both of my w210 have zero rust, and thats because they spent a majority of time in CA environment
3. cluster pixel still present. might come, might not come.
4. regulator will be the new style, and if properly affixed, wont die... probably
5. crankshaft sensor is a common problem on all M112/M113 engine cars, not just E320
6. See above
7. Spring perch was fixed in the 4matic, non 4matic still has the issue. But see #2, if car didn't see salt or snow, shouldn't be a problem.
8. Still a problem on all 722.6 transmission, not just W210. Regular replacement of pilot bushing helps to fix it.

As to mileage modification...well, it's not terribly difficult to change the mileage, and seeing how the car is a RHD, I'd ask for some sort of mileage verification from 3rd party like carfax or something.

#23 ·
Many thanks for those very helpful answers - sincerely appreciated; thank you guys!

So I have to fall on my sword here: - having done all the research and got great answers from you guys I am about ready to buy the car and so I ran the VIN on a Mercedes VIN Decoder online and it says the mileage is 240,000kms not 44,000 kms.

Is such a VIN decoder trustworthy:-
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/WDB2102652X082627

Here is the VIN : -
WDB210265-2X082627

As from the attached photos it looks immaculate, at least to me?

What do you all think - does it look like a 44,000 km car to you, or a 240,000 km car?

To me it looks pristine - front seats are spotless and look new, original tires with same spare, trunk looks immaculate... but do you think I am being duped?

So over to you experts - should I trust it or not?

To be honest I value your advice as much or more than anyone's - as you all own these cars....

(meantime I have friends at MB USA pulling the VIN but they can't see the service records in Japan - Ugh!)

Attachments

#25 ·
Thank you - I think you may have saved the day...!! :bowdown:

So to clarify then, I believe you are saying that the mileage estimate on the VIN decoder is "an estimate" where as the mileage on the actual car is genuine?

I have just rechecked the VIN decoder and I see it says "Approx Mileage"

Sir, I think you have been a huge help.

May I ask then, when YOU look at the pictures of my proposed car do you think 24,000 miles or do you think 152,000 miles? :)

BTW - I go suckered by that VIN decoder as I then paid the money for the full VIN details by a link to e verify to double check and what did it say "no records found"!!!

Oh well better to lose $4.95 than a 24,000 mile car :wink

Anyone else would like to vote on the pics:-

So far its 2 - 0 in favour of genuine. :devil

#26 ·
The car does look good. I was trying really hard to find something out of the ordinary but I didn't see anything. Even the Mercedes tools, which are notorious for developing surface pits and corrosion, look good.

You say the tires are original though. Do you mean the actual tire itself or the wheels? If the tires are original I would replace all of them right way including the spare. Also since you have the comand system, I would recommend you do the diagnostic error code test. A lot of people forget about this with the comand system. It's very useful for checking the condition of the audio system. Yours is a Japanese unit so I'm not sure what buttons need to be pressed on that unit. But on the English version, you press the SYS button, then select AUX then you push and hold mute, 1, and 3. This will bring you to the "secret menu" aka the service menu. I will attach the PDF with instructions that are better than mine.

Attachments

#29 ·
Thank you very much for this - I will revert to this once the car arrives (assuming my bank doesn't F*&k it up) - very much appreciate the help.

The funny thing is I am quite excited to have the opportunity to buy an almost new car of one of the older and simpler MB's in the last Model Year, sort of a privilege really...

Thanks again, :cool:

#28 ·
Thank you very much Deplore and Illstplaya. You gentlemen here on this Forum have tremendous experience and that is invaluable... so I'm almost certainly going to buy it now...

BTW - I looked at the MB VIN decoder and those SOB's. It's just an age of car multiplied by 15,792km....! We ran several VINS and the formula worked out each time with the age.

So I very much appreciate everyone's help as I'm not getting any younger and had just had surgery so don't need any more stress just now. Yes I'd love to get another W140 or E66 BMW etc. but for now as MAVA says get something simple and much more likely to be stress free.

I did check with my friends at MB USA and the delivery date was 15th May 2002 so I presume that means it is definitely a 2002, which is great.

Thank you to all of you who responded - it is people like you who make owning an MB a genuine pleasure. Thank you all...:angel

So - it is 4 Genuine - fake 0 :devil

Any more votes to count?? :wink

#30 ·
Keys... They look almost brand new. Not the look of the keys that has 150K miles. And you have two of them which is a plus.

If you think the tires are original, they should have the manufacturing date on them (coded of course).

In any case, enjoy the car, and happy motoring, wherever you are.

#31 ·
Thank you and that is a very good point as living in Timbuktu as I do the local tech (the ONLY one, an indie) says for God's sake get two keys as I can't get them and if one goes bad "you're well, screwed..."

Thank you for your good wishes - and the same to you! :thumbsup:

Latest Vote - 5 Genuine - 0 Fake :devil

#32 ·
Going back to the BMW you were looking at..... let me try one more time to dissuade you from getting it.

For a car that retailed $80k brand new, don't you think it's odd that only a few years later it's worth about as much as a W210? Not even a early gen W220 can claim that distinction.

Think about that for a bit. :)

#33 ·
Thank you - and don't worry I am not buying that now! I'm getting the E320 2002 wagon, although I am tempted by an 04 ML with 60k..., but it's almost 2k more once I import it...

As a final check, I called my MB indie tech in CA and he agreed and said as follows:-

- W210 – that is perfect car for remote region
- Much better than W124…
- the engines are bullet proof
- Make sure to use synthetic oil
- AC – is perfect – blows ice cubes
- best car you can buy for the money
- ML SUV – I like them from 2002 to 2005
- By 2002 put fog lights into bumper, looked better
- Both cars do wonders – share engine, same transmission, both safe
- Best engines & transmissions they ever built…
- ML is very simple… - like a truck
- Both are very good…
- Grab the station wagon – you can always sell it & there will always be a woman with kids who'd love it….

On the E66 I am, as Warren Buffett might say, a value shopper:- so while I agree with you let me leave you with this:-

Everyone told me the M120 V12 W140 was a nightmare, except Stryker (go look on the W140 forum)

Many techs said they would not even work on it.

Anyway, to cut a very long story short, with MAVA's & Stryker's amazing help I bought a car that sold in 1998 for $138,673 USD (same price as an average suburban US 3 bedroom house back then) for $5,000 with a free set of rims.

IT HAS NEVER GONE WRONG! - although I did spend about 4.5k on it after I bought it and before I drove it any serious distance including a new trannie. But with 3 pre-purchase inspections we knew it needed all of that when I bought it and the PPI's got me 3.5k off the asking price.

BUT..., the whole story is I spent about $15k "learning" the W140 on my 140 coupe before that 2nd W140, and was so incredibly picky with this W140 V12 that we drove many owners nuts as we turned down car after car after car. (MAVA even found indications one owner who had an "immaculate" V12 had his MB shop write up the invoice in perhaps not an entirely transparent way..!! )

So was it really cheap? - No, it cost me 3 years of research and $15k in learning and hundreds of hours. So I probably spent about $115k :) :grin So, yes I hear you and agree with you on the E66 - it will be expensive one way or the other :)

But by God I love that M120 W140 - She is a 1998 Black, on cream leather and only one owner before me and she's almost silent.,..

On the E66 - more likely when I have some funds I'll get a good W221.

Now back to more serious issues... :devil:devil

When my tech said the 2002 W210 blows ice cubes from the AC that warmed my heart!

Would you agree Deplore?

:angel:angel

#36 ·
"No doubt you've heard jokes about old Harley Davidson bikes or old BMW/MBs having "built in rustproofing system" in the form of oil leaking? Well, E66 gloriously exemplifies with the best of them...especially when it comes to alternator seal gasket."

I can imagine anyone's reaction to a mechanic telling them their alternator is leaking.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon

#37 ·
:grin:grin

Yes and then when he says, well it's not the alternator, it is the alternator gasket and it is 8 hours to get to it and fix it.

Translation = +/- $1200 :)

Oh and while I am there I need to to the....

= $5,000 :eek

But still in the E66 LWB format I am still tempted for later on and would just budget accordingly.
The 07 - 08 have much better reviews.

#39 ·
I see RHD Royce-Rolls in California from time to time, so it had to at least be possible.
Still DMVs like to change the laws on monthly bases, so I would call your local office and confirm that.
I know they forbid RHD cars in my native Poland as it leads to too many accidents.
Poland doesn't have too many freeways, while passing on 2-lanes roads brings lot of thrill even with LHD.

#41 ·
Thankyou every one - I bought her!

OK gang, the deed is done...

Thank you to you all...

As I have officially bought a Silver 2002 E320 non 4 matic :)grin) wagon... with 25,100 miles on it with 69% off the price.

So I am optimistic I have got a good deal, given everyone I have spoken to thinks the 2001 / 2002 W210 is one of the most straightforward and low maintenance cars Mercedes have made.

Now what? :devil

I mean that was fun.... Thanks all.... :wink:wink

#44 ·
Now the Stage 2 of the fun starts...

So while this is probably the first, easily perceived as, sensible car I've ever bought :devil :crying :smile (try explaining an M120 W140 to your better half.... :eek - although it worked out absolutely perfectly in the end), I have been looking to see what inexpensive things I might do to make the Wagon look even better.

# 1 is window tinting given I live in a very hot place.

But the next one I came up with was the front grill.... so I have a question:-

Does this grill from this particular W210 wagon fit in all E320 Wagon hood's, or is this a different hood e.g. for an AMG? - as I think this grill with the extra horizontal bars looks really very nice...

Attachments

#45 ·
The monoblocks
Funny incident I had in the past - fellow forum member lived 1 mile from my old place.
One time I park my wagon on monoblocks in front of our only grocery store and wait in it for my wife.
Noticed other member rolling his MB on other side of the street , so start waiving to him.
Took him good 20 seconds to notice me as he was staring on monoblocks ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.