Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Removal of white plastic wiper clip

531 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Htown Stunner 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get to my expansion valve to replace it, and I'm following a great write up on how to remove the water collector and other components. The one thing I can't figure out is how to remove the white plastic "Clip" that holds part of the windshield wiper assembly. Its easy to unclip the assembly, and its out, but the clip "body" needs to be removed before you can get the water collector out. the writeup has a picture and it just has an arrow pointing to the base of it saying "10mm wrench, be careful not to drop the bolt". There doesnt seem to be a bolt head there, if there is there is a thick wire loom in front of it. There is no description of how to get to the bolthead. I can probably get around this, but it seems there may be a trick to it that I'm missing, so I just thought I'd ask in case anyone has had this issue.

Thanks,

Dave

#2 ·
I feel your pain brother. I'm replacing the expansion valve as part of a number of other AC parts replacement. After you've removed all of the other tupperware, the only thing left is the white plastic stub housing that helps to anchor the wiper assembly and another black plastic catch basin underneath it. Pull the rubber sealing strip partially off of the top of the firewall and pull the firewall liner back slightly. The webbed hose liner can actually be pulled up and expose the 10mm bolt hiding underneath it. Good luck with your project.

#6 ·
I am doing the same thing, just waiting on parts. Everything has been delivered but the condenser shroud and the PAG 46 oil, so I'm stuck for now. Did replace the expansion valve and it's O rings just so I could put everything back together and focus on the condenser, compressor and receiver/dryer. Cleaned and oiled the wiper assembly while it was off and cleaned up the black plastic water guard pieces. Also cleaned out the water drainage ports on either side as these were clogged with mummified leaves and debris. Put a 0.3a vaccum on the system to evacuate any moisture that got into the system and its holding overnight.

Do you know how much PAG oil you'll be putting in the system? The chart I have says the replacement of these components requires 180 cm3 or 6.08 fluid ounces of PAG oil be introduced into the system.

Lastly, I keep some magnetized telescoping fishing tools handy cause I drop nuts, bolts and screws all the time. No exception with this project.

#7 ·
The Chart I saw, I believe it was from techchoice parts says that the compressor takes 8.5 oz of PAG oil. That seems high if I rectify it with other info I've seen. The compressor I bought is supposed to be pre loaded with the correct amount of oil. I'm almost at the point of putting the new compressor on, I have the old one off. I do intend to drain the oil from the new compressor into a clean measuring cup, firstly to see that there is oil in it, and second to see how much. The oil in the AC system is a bit of a mystery. its difficult to find a definitive answer. with each writeup you read, there is someone adding a little oil. the condenser replacement write up I read said to add 20 grams of oil. I realize there are many different types of repair, but I would just like to know how much oil needs to be in the SYSTEM. Since this is starting from square one, a completely empty system, I'm going with what I read, but I will see if it jibes with how much oil comes out of my new compressor. Also, it may be listed on the sticker under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.